2 RETURNS: "HELP WANTED"

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lgstarr
Impressive
Impressive

2 RETURNS: "HELP WANTED"

Post by lgstarr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:51 pm

Y170211PS
TOP 40 POP SONGS with an R&B Influence and Female Vocals are needed by a big, Major Label A&R Executive for a Multi-Platinum Pop SUPERSTAR who's working on a brand new album. They're looking for chart-worthy Songs in All-Tempos that you'd expect to hear on playlists with artists like, (but not limited to) Zendaya ft Chris Brown, Ariana Grande ft. Big Sean, JoJo ft. Remy Ma, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the references to get an idea of the sound and style that could work for this pitch: "Something New" by Zendaya ft Chris Brown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VGCKaTbkHA "Right There" Ariana Grande ft. Big Sean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhcpubAVdmc "FAB." by JoJo ft. Remy Ma: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_4b9ZcewYI Please submit Top 40 style Pop songs that have a soulful R&B appeal to them. Your songs should have all the essential elements of current Pop music - strong hooks, infectious melodies, a fresh beat, and an unforgettable chorus. Your vocal performance should sound like a real-deal, chart-topping Pop artist to get them attracted to your song. Make sure your production and recording quality is clean, clear, well balanced, and good enough to represent your song well. Please submit one to three Songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Saturday, February 11th, 2017. TAXI #Y170211PS

Stylistically Off Target
Style isn't similar to the example songs mentioned in this listing and could have a more Top 40 R&B/Pop sound needed here.

S170131CR
CONTEMPORARY R&B SONGS with a POP Influence and Female Vocals are needed by a top A&R Executive at a Major Record Label for a Grammy nominated singer that's working on her second album after having charting success with her debut release. They're looking for fresh, modern, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs that would appeal to the fans of artists like Zendaya, Kehlani, Tori Kelly, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the references below to get a solid idea of the type of material that could work for this artist: "Replay" by Zendaya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyLE48i4XY0 "Undercover" by Kehlani: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBrmg0BBHI4 "Should've Been Us" by Tori Kelly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE2drlA8vf8 Please submit songs with a radio-friendly structure that are rhythmically, melodically, and lyrically engaging, and would instantly showcase this artist's impressive vocal range and control. You know the routine, your submission should have great hooks, and a big, chart-topping chorus that's as memorable as it gets. It's okay if your submissions lean toward the Pop side of the spectrum, as long as your songs are still rooted in the R&B genre. You'd be wise to have a really great vocal performance to help sell the label on cutting your song. Your recording quality needs to be clean, clear, well balanced, and good enough to represent your song well. Please submit one to three Songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Tuesday, January 31st, 2017. TAXI #S170131CR

No reasons given.

HELP WANTED
Music & Lyrics by Linda Starr

I’ve been workin’ all my life
Just to pay the rent
I’ve been workin’ all my life
And never saved a cent

I’ve got to get out from under
Get this job and go
‘Cause I’m your ‘help wanted’
Don’t you know?

It’s so hard to make a dime
Lord, I need a break
Feel like I’m just doin’ time
And it’s no piece of cake

(Let me) Get this job and go
Don’t you know?

Well, I know you’re in a hurry
You can trust me, don’t you worry
Here I am in all my glory
Won’t you listen to my story?

Give me something I can do
Let me show my stuff
Time is runnin’ out for me
And life is gettin’ tough

Get this job and go
Don’t you know?

Give me something I can do
Let me show my stuff
Time is runnin’ out for me
And life is gettin’ tough

Get this job and go
Don’t you know?

https://soundcloud.com/userlgstarr/help-wanted

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: 2 RETURNS: "HELP WANTED"

Post by hummingbird » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:56 pm

S170131CR
All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Tuesday, January 31st, 2017. TAXI #S170131CR

No reasons given.
Wait, are you saying you had no feedback at all on this? If so I'd contact TAXI as the listing specifically says there will be a critique.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:22 pm

The style is theater, more similar to something along the lines of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Cats".
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:36 pm

TOP 40 POP SONGS with an R&B Influence and Female Vocals are needed by a big, Major Label A&R Executive for a Multi-Platinum Pop SUPERSTAR who's working on a brand new album

This wording here: "Your songs should have all the essential elements of current Pop music - strong hooks, infectious melodies, a fresh beat, and an unforgettable chorus. Your vocal performance should sound like a real-deal, chart-topping Pop artist to get them attracted to your song. Make sure your production and recording quality is clean, clear, well balanced, and good enough to represent your song well..." suggest this is a high bar listing.

The production is not current pop style like the three songs provided as samples. Listen to the percussion in those songs and listen to the drums in your song. Also listen to the choruses and background vocals. Lastly, listen to the delivery and tone of the lead singer.

Your song does have a musical theatre quality in melody and vocals. Possibly country but country requires more story-oriented lyrics. I wish the drums were further back in the mix. I think there might be place for a song like this, but it's not a top 40's billboard charting style song.

======

CONTEMPORARY R&B SONGS with a POP Influence and Female Vocals are needed by a top A&R Executive at a Major Record Label for a Grammy nominated singer that's working on her second album after having charting success with her debut release.

"They're looking for fresh, modern, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs..... Please submit songs with a radio-friendly structure that are rhythmically, melodically, and lyrically engaging, and would instantly showcase this artist's impressive vocal range and control. You know the routine, your submission should have great hooks, and a big, chart-topping chorus that's as memorable as it gets."

Again, high bar listing looking for undeniable chart topping hit songs.

Your song is off target, sorry to say.

Just listen to the percussion and vibe of Zendaya's Replay, and compare it to the drums and vibe of your song. They don't have a similar quality.

I know... you're pitching a demo but you have to think of it this way: you have to show them how the song could work for their artist.

======

What capacity do you have Linda, to record these days? Do you play guitar or piano? Can you set up a wee vocal booth? I have a 'studio' in the corner of my living room and a 'vocal booth' I made myself where I can record live instruments or my voice.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

lgstarr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lgstarr » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:44 pm

hummingbird wrote:

S170131CR
All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Tuesday, January 31st, 2017. TAXI #S170131CR

No reasons given.
Wait, are you saying you had no feedback at all on this? If so I'd contact TAXI as the listing specifically says there will be a critique.
I asked them soon after you posted this and only just found out a couple of days ago: I would have had to put a check mark next to something that said I wanted critique (I had thought that meant it would cost $20 so I've never checked it, but they said that was different than an "S" listing).