A company loves my work..now what?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

A company loves my work..now what?

Post by Tunesmith » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi All,
Hope this post finds you well! I got an email from a creative director at a company I was forwarded to who really liked what he heard and asked for more. I have sent them 12 tunes..he likes all of them , is very enthusiastic about the tunes and needs to review internally then will get back to me. Is there anything in Taxi posted or video as to how to be prepared for what happens next in these type opportunities? I am registered with Ascap.
Below is the listing and I thank you in advance for your input!

Best to all,
Linda C

Y161229VF

VINTAGE RECORDINGS of ORIGINAL (no covers) of 1960’s – 1970’s LIGHT, BREEZY, “STRUMMY ACOUSTIC-BASED,” FOLK-Y SONGS are needed by an A-List Publisher for Film and TV sync licensing opportunities. If you’ve got old recordings (with Male or Female Vocals) that sound like they could be on a playlist with the references below, or anything that’s in that general ballpark, you might have exactly what this awesome publisher needs:
ou can submit old masters or demos for this pitch. The recording quality is not expected to be on par with today’s broadcast quality! Many TAXI members have been signed by this publisher with nothing more than good demo recordings! They’re much more interested finding music that sounds authentic to the time period!

This Publisher is the hot, go-to company for a long list of extremely popular TV shows and big Feature Films when they need music that is authentically from a particular time period. The Publisher pays youupfront for the master rights and the Publisher’s share of the copyright, and you keep the Writer’s Share of the publishing and earn income from performance royalties paid by your Performing Rights Organization.

This company often averages several placements per week, and many of those are TAXI members who’ve been signed with this company because they submitted to a listing like this! Dozens of TAXI members have signed buy out, cash-up-front deals with this company. Several have even received up front checks for $10,000 - $15,000 (or more!) Deal sizes and buyout amounts vary depending on the quantity and quality of the songs signed by the Publisher.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: A company loves my work..now what?

Post by hummingbird » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi Linda, did you sign a contract?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi Hummingbird,
No not yet...this is new to me...

BTW you are an inspiration..I read about you in Home Recording..but before that I listened to some of your pieces and they are amazing..

Thank you,

Linda C

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:11 pm

We are signed with this publisher. Great job. Let them review the songs and then most likely they will send u a contract for the songs they want to sign. I am very close with this Publisher. They pay a flat up-front fee for songs, signed exclusively and no sync fees. The rest is back end but they are "go-to" for vintage stuff. Congrats!
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Tunesmith wrote:Hi Hummingbird,
No not yet...this is new to me...

BTW you are an inspiration..I read about you in Home Recording..but before that I listened to some of your pieces and they are amazing..

Thank you,

Linda C
Hi Linda - thanks! Glad you like.

I'm thinking this publisher is reviewing your work and that might take a wee while, and then you will hear from them as to which tracks they would like to sign. At that point they'd want your contact information, PRO and IPI. Congrats on getting forwarded and grats on creating a relationship with this publisher. Best advice I can give is sit back and be patient, they will get to you - and then be ready to complete the paperwork and get it back to them as soon as you can. If you don't already, start a list of what songs you have signed and with whom- and whether it's exclusive or non-excl. Cause the songs you will sign to this publisher can't be pitched anywhere else. Time to start writing more!

:)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:00 am

Thank you, you two! This is very helpful! It's comforting t be in Taxi's grace, not a thing to take for granted as far as relinquishing and trust! Yes I will be patient..that's pretty easy for me these days..plus I am in the process of upgrading my recording environment, which is a little DAWnting...I've been recording on a Roland VS1680 which was an upgrade from reel to reel 8 track...I am very excited about upgrading again now! I'm blown away what one can do now..

BTW I Marcus, I have listened to some of your work/songs and it is fantastic! Your 101 forwards post caught my attention a while back!

Best if success to all!

Linda C

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Dear Hummingbird and Markus,

Well, had a great long phone call form the publisher today and now have a blank contract to review. They are stoked for the material! Looks like my vintage children are going to venture out into the world...
Nothing is signed yet of course, but again I am glad to have Taxi behind me and the company even encouraged me to contact Michael in regards to their reputation..

Thank you again for your input!

Best,
Linda

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Congrats Linda! It's very exciting! Best of luck with all your vintage stuff as well as your new upgrades and new tunes. Thanks so much for the kind words about my music! :)
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

Phen
Active
Active

Post by Phen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:15 am

Congratulations, Linda! I hope you get a great deal.
This publisher "really dug" my forwarded song as well (same listing, but for '80's rock), and emailed me requesting more. I sent 2 more songs and he emailed back he'd be in touch. However, that was last August, so my guess is he passed on it. If you don't mind, Hummingbird and Marcus, do you think I should have heard by now if they were interested?
Thanks!

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Phen wrote:do you think I should have heard by now if they were interested?
Phen, I would email them as a follow up and see if they received them as this this may jar their memory.

Best of luck to you!

Linda C