Advice for the 5-Year plan road

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Advice for the 5-Year plan road

Post by fuzzbox » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Mark you're doing what you love already and being paid for it! 8-) That is fantastic!
So getting into TAXI listings is your next step, in-fact you have already had a forward.

If you haven't already, why don't you get a portable recorder? That may help you save time. Just a thought. :D
ImageImage

All You Need Is Ears - Sir George Martin
The music is not in the notes, but in the silence betweenWolfgang Amadeus Mozart

jlizerbram
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jlizerbram » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm about 2.5 years in to writing consistently, and really want to break through to the next level.
Hi Christine,

I would say, that 2.5 years into the 5 year plan, with the % of forwards you have achieved, along with the fact that you're already writing for a library(s) and making some income, you're probably already ahead of most of the pack in that timeframe. I think in 2.5 years more, you're going to like your results of hard work and persistence! You have motivated me to keep on going!

-Jeff
Jeff Lizerbram
TAXI Member

bronstine
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bronstine » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Thank you Matt V., Mark, and Jeff for the responses!

I am truly grateful for your feedback. I feel like I'm on the right track, but I always feel like I should be doing more. I think the message is - trust the process. I can't hear enough about the details of the journeys from those further along the path than me. You give me hope and inspiration that I too can be where you are with your success.

Time to get back to writing-submitting-forgetting-and repeating!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi Christine
You should definitely (as you seem to be) make the maximum use of all things Taxi-- listings, submissions, forum, rally, community, etc. :D

But you also should be researching libraries on your own and submitting. A multi-pronged marketing approach is recommended. Taxi is one (very strong) arrow in the quiver as they say.

Best of luck!
:D Casey

bronstine
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bronstine » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Casey,

Thanks for the feedback. I completely agree with the multi-pronged approach and will do some research as you suggested. I really appreciate you posting.

Best,
Christine

MarkDoyle
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MarkDoyle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:39 pm

Casey:

I'm glad to read your post. Up until now I only submitted to TAXI,with the idea being that when I finally get to the point of being "good enough" for TAXI I would make submissions to libraries and publishers. LIkewise, I've always felt too intimidated to use the forums . Now I decided what's the harm in it ? I recently submitted to a library/publisher and am consciously trying to be more active submitting and writing on a regular basis,which has always been difficult for me because I am a working musician playing nursing homes and senior centers 30-40 times a month.

This year I've decided to be more proactive. I play guitar,keys,horns and sing in 3 different languages. Thanks for your inspiration!

Mark Doyle
https://soundcloud.com/mdnuts

LarsA

Post by LarsA » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:00 am

Hi

First of all I know this is an old thread, but hope you can give me some advise to how to succed in the 5 year plan.

I am a newbee to this, and have already submitted some stuff (instrumental cues). Most of them are being returned (had 2 forwards, although no response from end receiver ;-) ), so I just keep write - submit - forget - repeat.
Most of the instrumental cues are returned with short comments, which I totally understand based on there are probably A LOT of cues submitted. But the comments are not moving me forward in the adjusted direction (so to speak) as the next listing is something totally different.
I understand that the Road Rally is a good place to be mentored, but I cannot go this year - hopefully next year.
Yes I could submit for custom critique, but that would be for that specific piece only, but what I think is need is coachign/mentoring :D
So how do you guys get input to adjust and constantly improving your cues for submitting?
I seem to miss a lot by not being right on target. "Cool/Fun/Creative but not on target" is some of the comments I get. Practice is gold, but practising in the wrong way does not get you to the target.
How did those of you who has a lot of forwards use the short critiques to improove? Or did you do something else?

Cheers Lars

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:33 am

LarsA wrote:Hi

First of all I know this is an old thread, but hope you can give me some advise to how to succed in the 5 year plan.

I am a newbee to this, and have already submitted some stuff (instrumental cues). Most of them are being returned (had 2 forwards, although no response from end receiver ;-) ), so I just keep write - submit - forget - repeat.
Most of the instrumental cues are returned with short comments, which I totally understand based on there are probably A LOT of cues submitted. But the comments are not moving me forward in the adjusted direction (so to speak) as the next listing is something totally different.
I understand that the Road Rally is a good place to be mentored, but I cannot go this year - hopefully next year.
Yes I could submit for custom critique, but that would be for that specific piece only, but what I think is need is coachign/mentoring :D
So how do you guys get input to adjust and constantly improving your cues for submitting?
I seem to miss a lot by not being right on target. "Cool/Fun/Creative but not on target" is some of the comments I get. Practice is gold, but practising in the wrong way does not get you to the target.
How did those of you who has a lot of forwards use the short critiques to improove? Or did you do something else?

Cheers Lars
Post your music in the Peer Review forum! One of the best resources out there 8-)
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:44 am

The 5-year plan ended for me about 5 years ago. A 10-year plan ain’t looking good for me either. Maybe 15 years will be the ticket? Just keep on trucking, no matter what.