Allow myself to introduce myself

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jessecarrigan
Impressive
Impressive

Allow myself to introduce myself

Post by jessecarrigan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Hey all! I wrote an introduction, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether or something. Cosmic rays, man.

I've been a Taxi member for a number of years, most of which were wasted on convincing myself that if I just had time I'd be able to write the best stuff in the world and paying money to Taxi for a membership was doing something to further that goal (without actually doing any of the things required to further that goal). I finally let the membership lapse because I realized that paying money to feel better wasn't really useful.

Last year I came back during the sale and promptly spent a year doing the same thing I had done before (nothing). I kept reading the listings, though, and some recent changes in my life opened the door to actually spend time on pursuing music. I have a background as a musician and vocalist, and have a small amount of formal training (but only enough to be a danger to myself). I know very little about recording other than playing around with a few tools here and there and some very basic ideas about effects and things.

I just submitted my first instrumental cue, which probably doesn't totally fit the listing, but I decided that it's worth getting some kind of feedback on it and just treat it like a s***ty first draft - get it out there and make it better. I almost convinced myself not to submit it. I'm glad I did.

The biggest thing, though, was that in the process I learned how to use the tools I do have, how to export a track and convert to an MP3, how to host the song, and how to submit it. I think it was an absolutely worthwhile endeavor, even though I'm confident it won't result in a forward.

Looking forward to leaning on all of your wisdom and adding some of my own as I collect it (which will no doubt take a while).

ETA: Figured out what happened to the other post. :P

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Allow myself to introduce myself

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi Jesse,
If only we could all have back the time we waste :roll:
It seems like you're finding your feet now so good for you.
Keep working, and the more you find enjoyment in the process, the more you'll achieve.
Best of luck in all your endeavours. :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

jlizerbram
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jlizerbram » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi Jesse,

Your post struck my situation as being very similar to you. I was a TAXI member for a few years up until 2010, quit because life and commitments, and during those 6 years off, I kept watching the listings come into my inbox. The itch became too much, so I rejoined in 2016 to attend the Rally, and to get priorities in order. The writing to the listings ALONE is worth it to me - the more I do, the better I get at re-learning my equipment (there's always a new little button I that gives me that "ah hah!" moment), writing cues, and doing things in an improved process overall.

Kudos to you for submitting to listings! Even if it doesn't end up as a forward, the idea of failing fast, learning from what may have or have not worked, and repeating the process will go a long way, I'm sure.

-Jeff
Jeff Lizerbram
TAXI Member

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Welcome! Taxi is an excellent motivator. Keep cranking out listings, remember that you don't have to submit all of the time. Do what you can afford. But writing to the listings and posting links in the Peer to Peer forum is a great way to learn!

Paul
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

jessecarrigan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jessecarrigan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, all. Paulie, that's a great idea. I'll have to do more of that!