Anyone Purchase a Gauge Mic at the Rally??

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Anyone Purchase a Gauge Mic at the Rally??

Post by squids » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Hmmm, thanks much, Bird! Good to know. Maybe I'll check into it. Was the price at the Rally a usual or fo that weekend only? I know lots of all y'all use 'em for instruments and I will too, jes wanted something that would be a change from the Baby Blue.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Nov 22, 2009, 9:57pm, squids wrote:Hmmm, thanks much, Bird! Good to know. Maybe I'll check into it. Was the price at the Rally a usual or fo that weekend only? I know lots of all y'all use 'em for instruments and I will too, jes wanted something that would be a change from the Baby Blue.They were (I think) $99 @ RR '08, but I'm not sure... I was privileged to win mine
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jpmuzic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jpmuzic » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:42 am

Hey Squids I have the Gauge mic and I think that it works real fine a female vocals. I do a bunch of collaboration where it sounds fine I also have a Blue baby bottle. So really its all about how you sing and sometimes when someone else is coaching you on how to sing can help as well to but they have to be a singer.EnjoyJPI Rock With One NameBe Blessed

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 am

In my experience you need to test out mics to see if they fit your voice. Mine is particularly difficult to record/produce because of the brightness/edge that opera singers are trained to have. All the mics I borrowed or rented recorded a sizzle on the top when I was singing. The one reasonably priced mic that turned out to work for me is the Shure SM7b. [I would have loved to get the Neumann I rented but the cost was too high.] I think the Gauge is a good mic, but I can't record my own vocals with it because of this issue.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

davidvignola
Active
Active

Post by davidvignola » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:51 am

Hi Gang,

I have not read this thread in about 10 days and I see so many people have responded to my original post.

As I read though all of your comments, I was really surprised that so many people just chalk up POOR customer service to "oh well that's the way it is and we should all cut the boy's over at gauge-usa some slack". I am amazed at how many people just have such a carefree attitude about this issue. I really do hope that my clients have the same attitude when coming into my studio because if that is the case, I will always look like a God in their eyes because I bend over backwards to make sure my clients are satisfied and when I say I am going to do something, I do it and I always try to exceed the customer expectations. I never take the "oh well" it is what it is approach. Just my opinion

Having said all of that I did also read the post from Gauge, making a public apologie and I do appreciate them at least standing up and trying to make things right and explain their situation. I also do fully understand that they did offer all taxi members a large discount at the road rally and even though they sold out they wanted to make sure that if a member wanted a mic they could get one and I guess that some members were told it would take a few weeks to get their mic due to back orders. Well, I was a member that was told by one of the ladies working the booth that it would ship out that coming Monday not a few weeks later. OK, a mistake was made and hey, it happens & I don't care about that.

What I do care much more about is the fact that it took 3 voice mails and 3-4 e-mails to their customer service to get a response to my order........now that is unacceptable in my book. It took 3 weeks just for Gauge to leave the post on this forum....notice the post date, which I believe was Nov 20th. In that post he says that "Dave’s"....order would be shipping in about 10 days. Ok, so by Nov 30th you would think that I would see a tracking number maybe or an e-mail saying my order had shipped, something, anything?

Well here we are on December 8th and guess what fans.......no mic, no e-mail, no phone call to say "sorry for the delay your mic shipped out yesterday" NOTHING!!

So I guess that I will just wait and see what happens.....maybe it will ship this month, maybe not.....who knows.

All I know is that I will never purchase anything from them again and more than likely, send back the mic when and if it ever shows up because I have no plans to use or promote a product from a company with such lousy service.

I know, I know.....I am being too hard on the guy's at Gauge- USA right? I am blown away that people don't care about customer service anymore. It's no wonder that more and more company's have horrible support, because you all tolerate it. If you stop buying these companies products, guess what? They will change or they go out of business.

Even at the road rally I sat in a workshop about Getting Started in Home Recording........ I won't mention the instructor's name because that wouldn’t be right and he did volunteer his time for all of us so I appreciate that and I am thankful.

I went to this class because I also teach a local workshop here in Connecticut about home recording and I was curious to see how other instructors go about teaching their class. Now keep in mind this was for total beginners and he was covering topics such as room treatment, what equipment you need to have etc... I could tell that at least half of the room had never set up a home studio before just by the types of questions they were asking.

Anyway, he proceeded to talk about DAW's and the fact that he can't stand pro tools. He said that he could never get support form their tec support department. He said the product was extremely inconsistent and did not perform well. He actually used the words "I hate Pro Tools and their service sucks". Those were his actual words. Now I don't use protools and never have so I really know nothing about this product expect I have heard this before form people but I have no experience with the product so I was curious to hear what this instructor had to say about it

In the very next breath he told this class of about 30-40 people that you HAD to buy Pro Tools because it is the industry standard. I almost fell off my chair. He told a bunch of newbies to home recording to spend their hard earned cash on a product that he spent 5 min bashing and said he hated. I was like "WOW are you kidding me". Why would you tell people this? More importantly, why would you even use this product if it was unstable and had crappy support? I don’t care if it's the industry standard or not. There are at least 5 other programs that are just as advanced as pro tools and for the home user and especially a newbie to recording you don't need to use pro tools.

My point here is that people seem to be willing to put up with a company that puts out an inferior product, has lousy customer support and they are willing to deal with the frustration and spend their hard earned money on it. Again, I am blown away by that attitude, I really am.

Now I am not bashing pro tools here, as I said I have never used it and have no experience with it. I know that most major studios use it and turn out great music so I am sure it’s a fine product. My point was not about pro tools but the whole tolerance level people have with companies and their lack to deliver good solid product and support.

That's my whole point about my experience with Gauge mic. It has nothing to do with the fact that it is taking over 5 weeks and still my order is not here. It's more about the fact that it took way more work on my part just to get them as a company to respond to a concerned customer. As I said earlier, to me that's just unacceptable. With the internet today, news travels fast and if you piss off a customer, it can kill your company, especially a small company like Gauge-USA.

What if I told Gauge-USA that I am not just a customer but I also host a large pro-audio & recording show where we review equipment and show people how to use that equipment in the recording environment? What if I were to tell them that our show has an average of about 1-2 thousand weekly viewers and is growing every month? I am not going to plug my show here because that's not what this is about but do you think that a company would want to have an unsatisfied customer talking to 2 thousand musicians on a weekly basis, telling them to beware of this company due to my experience?

I know if it was my small company, I wouldn't.....that could spell doom for any business especially a small company.

Ok, I am done venting and hope people understand my point of view.

have a great week everyone......Christmas is almost here......:)
David Vignola
http://www.VisionRecordingStudios.com
http://www.VisionMusicOnline.com
http://www.NetworkingMusician.com
http://www.ProAudioResource.com

davidvignola
Active
Active

Post by davidvignola » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:28 am

FYI -to anyone else still waiting for their Gauge Mic. I e-mailed them again yesterday and I think this is the 6th or 7th e-mail, although I lost track at this point, to ask about the order that was suppose to ship around November 30th. I get an e-mail back saying that their shipment is help up in customs and they are trying to sort it out.

Now keep in mind that they didn't e-mail me or the rest of their customers that have been waiting on something they purchased 6 weeks ago, I had to e-mail them.....Again!

WHAT A JOKE OF A COMPANY!!!!

Needless to say I asked for a full refund and believe me I would never recommend this product to anyone ever. I suggest you do the same....and I really don't care if their mic is such a great deal. There are plenty of great inexpensive mics on the market that I am sure will blow their mic out of the water. Although like everyone else that bought it at the rally I figured, what the hell it's only $100 and wort a shot. What a mistake that was

stevebarden
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by stevebarden » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:46 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that I received my shipment today of the ECM-87 mic. I haven't tried it yet but will do so soon. Also, they threw in a small ECM-84 mic as a bonus! That was their way of apologizing for the delays.

I hope everyone else receives theirs soon, too!

Steve

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Be sure and give us your impressions on the '84, I for one, am wildly curious.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm bookmarking this thread. Wanna hear ops on the gear too!

davidamyers

Post by davidamyers » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:00 pm

I purchased (over time) 7 mics from Gauge AT THE RALLY. never had a problem. one mic failed, brought it back the next year. no questions asked. gave me a new one. I have corosponded by email successfully more than once. I am a FIRM believer in that company. OH Yeah!