Edit Point Definition

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Lipskimusic
Impressive
Impressive

Edit Point Definition

Post by Lipskimusic » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Dear All,

I was wondering what actually defines an edit point. Is it a 'general / grand pause' as in orchestral language, i.e. nothing ringing out at the point of editing. Or would at that point a pause allowing for a fade by the editor suffice?

When it comes to uptempo tracks I feel that a 'general / grand pause' tends to sound artificial.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Matt

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Edit Point Definition

Post by Len911 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Matt, this is not official, just my 2 cents.

An edit point would be editor's language and probably not orchestral language as applies to orchestrating or arranging. Yes you are correct, nothing ringing out at the point of editing, or it wouldn't be a good edit point.

It makes sense because of cadence to have an edit point every 2 bars in a 4 bar phrase.

A real editor wouldn't leave gaps, if they wanted to use the whole piece as is for example, they would just close the gaps.

They also have time stretching tools to speed up or slow down the audio to fit the video.

Of course an editor can zoom in and if necessary edit at the sample level, the above just makes it a lot easier. Easy edits.

As far as composing for editing or with editing points in mind?? I have no clue. Is there a specific song structure for it?? I don't know.
It would seem odd to me.

Maybe they'll have an editor someday on taxi tv. Maybe they have and I missed it.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:49 pm

For myself I put an edit point usually after each section, it might be a bar or two bars long depending on the composition. The music doesn't stop there, but it allows someone to create an ending. Think of it as a drop out, where percussion ends on a clear 4 and then perhaps one or two instruments continue into the next bar before things pick up again.

So for example I might write A (one bar drop out), A (one bar drop out), B (one bar drop out), A (to bumper/stinger ending)..
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Lipskimusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Lipskimusic » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks both!

@Hummingbird: But do I understand correctly that there will be a moment (the edit point) where there is absolute silence (no reverb no nothing)?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi - I don't create silence in most cases. If there is reverb or a synth carrying through my 'drop bar' I just make sure there's a definitive end of some kind on the last beat of the bar before or the first beat of the 'drop bar'.

For example in this track, at :48 you hear the drop out after A which lingers naturally before the lift into B. at 1:15 there is a drop out before the return of A.
https://soundcloud.com/hummingbird-26/deadlyfog/s-Ge6Xw

This is just one way to do it, I try to give a logical place for the music editor to be able to end the section they're using.

HTH
H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Lipskimusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Lipskimusic » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi Hummingbird!

This makes sense. Thanks a lot for your time and your advice. Very helpful!

Have a good weekend :)

Cheers,
Matt