with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

chriswattsuk
Active
Active

Feedback on instrumental..

Post by chriswattsuk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi fellow Taxiers!

I'm really keen to get some opinions on my latest instrumental if possible. Anything from mood evoked, suitability/potential uses, production, how it comes across on your sound system - anything too loud quiet etc?! :)

https://soundcloud.com/chris_watts_uk/s ... strumental

If you are able to check it out it'd be awesome to hear from you.

PS - I'm tempted to submit it to this listing, but not sure if it's a good fit - the first two ALAs have vocals, but final ALA has no lyrics, and could be found on the same playlist I reckon? :roll: Anyway, let me have your thoughts!

-------------

New Listing INSPIRING SONGS in a range of genres (see below) with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a great new, NON-Exclusive Music Library started by a highly experienced Film and TV Music veteran! They’re looking for motivating, Mid-to-Up- Tempo Songs that could work well for Sports-Related Commercials. Please listen to the following references the client gave us to get an idea of the wide range of music that could work for this pitch:

Nike: Unlimited Pursuit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmLpiHDuLSE

Nike Presents Da Da Ding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UvPZ8fD4B8

ASICS GEL-Neo33™ Commercial Premiere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ODomuK ... freload=10

Please submit inspiring songs that have the power and passion to propel a scene forward, with a high-energy beat, inspiring lyrics, and a vocal performance that’s confident and bold. They’re open to hearing Indie-Rock, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Reggae, Punk, and even Country! If your song has a triumphant Sports TV-friendly sound and style, they want to hear it! It could be in-your-face, get off the couch music, it could be driving, pumping music that makes you want to go for a run, or it could be something anthemic that works well under an inspiring commercial’s story.

Lyric themes can vary, but topics about winning, coming out on top, pushing physical boundaries, accomplishment, etc., could all work great for this pitch. If you could imagine hearing your song in the videos above, then you’re probably in the ballpark. Please avoid references to specific names, dates, times, places, profanity, and especially brands of any kind. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced music or examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 split. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share of what they place. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this pitch. Please submit one to three Songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Friday, February 3rd, 2017. TAXI #Y170203CI

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback on instrumental..

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi Chris,
In my opinion, for what that's worth, you have a great track! Good sounds and production. Great job!

Some thoughts I had when listening that you might wish to consider were...
- I 'get' that you're building the track, but it could come across as a having a very lengthy intro before the 'meat' begins.
- The middle section is a bit calmer, before the 'larger' end section and there's a chance that the loss of momentum might go against you for some listings.
Both those points are my subjective views though and others might disagree.

However, the listing is specifically for an Inspiring Song and mentions the lyrics and vocal performance, so even if your track was musically perfect for this listing it would still be returned, and I have no doubt about that. Targeting listings is something that I, amongst many, struggle with at times, so don't worry. You're not alone :)

The example tracks given are quite wide-ranging, so if they'd asked for an instrumental rather than a song it would probably have been worth a shot, but I think it would be better to save your $5 in this case. I think you'll soon find a suitable listing request for your track that asks for something like ..'Uplifting guitar-based indie rock instrumental tracks wanted'. I hope that helps a little but check what others say, just in case I'm way-off. :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Uttenreither
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Uttenreither » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi Chris,
Sorry to be blunt but I need to be quick.
The intro could be shorter, 8-12 seconds would be good.
The dueling guitars for the fist half of the song was distracting to me. Sorry could be just me
I think the 2nd half of the track is great. I would rework that into the required length.
Great advice from Graham above and he is a better person to take advise from than me.
John

chriswattsuk
Active
Active

Post by chriswattsuk » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:07 am

As always, such fantastic and useful feedback, thanks so much guys. I've made some tweaks, predominantly shortening the intro. Here is an alternative version - still has the verse section which takes a step back in order to set up the final chorus, I considered shortening the verse bars, but I think it needs to be the length it is in order to build to the final chorus..?

https://soundcloud.com/chris_watts_uk/t ... umental-v2

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:02 am

Hi Chris,
In my humble opinion you now have a fantastically usable track that I can imagine in commercials and sports trailers. I'm sure you'll do very well indeed with it. It will still be classed as an instrumental with vocalisations, rather than a song, and will therefore be returned from any listing that specifically asks for a song. I'd suggest saving it for a more appropriate listing, which I'm sure won't be long. In fact, I believe there might be one in the 'Instrumental' section right now for something like euphoric or triumphant or optimistic sports instrumental. Good luck with it. :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.