Finding your voice/genre

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Finding your voice/genre

Post by milfus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:01 pm

well what i do, to try and typify a style, Is I will get about 3-4 songs from about 5-6 bands in that genre, and cross examine the similarities and differences, and generally you get a much clearer picture of what that style entails than you would think. But tory, why are ranting about studying genres you idiot, we are talking about finding our voice. AHA! i say, you allready KNOW your style, you can listen to a passage and give it a thumbs up or thumbs down, you can even say what part MADE you give it the thumbs up or thumbs down. so what ya do is listen to all your favorite songs, like your real go to songs, and find the parts in the songs that make it so great to you, if you are typical of us, that list will be like 80 things long, but less will be fine, then ya cross reference them and pick out which you prefer and which are your stand by's, and you are left with an entire list of techniques and stylistic approach that resonate very strongly with you, will it be unique?...maybe. will it be genuine and heartfelt?....its kind of impossible not to be. just my 2 pennies, I am nic fitting and ranting, but its one of the things I used to make my clients do, I developed it myself as the absolute start of the job for new talent, and you would be amazed how much it can focus a sound and a message and give ya a blue print to really launch a career off of. so maybe its worth a try *shrug*.
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:04 pm

Apr 12, 2008, 8:33am, geo wrote:Quote:You were a chef?? Dude, c'mon ovah!! Still am... found a position that only requires 35 hours a week... not the normal 60... if it resides in the ocean... I can make it taste great... but my speciality... roasted 1/2 chickens done on a Weber Kettle grill (indirect heat) with citrus herb butter under the skin, served with grilled veggies and a roasted garlic aioli to dip everything in...YUMMY!!! My stomach groaned while I was typing!!I do a "faux" Gumbo/Lambalaya not authentic... but still tasty.... I cook like I write music... I seldon follow a recipe ... GeoHere's a cooking video... enjoy <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t-pyRNYbUb0&hl ... ram><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t-pyRNYbUb0&hl=en&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>Just click on the first youtube in yellow... GeoOops, it's gone... try www.youtube.com/geochef64oh man, that made me like salivate, the 1/2 chicken with the veggies, i just had a stomach growl loud enough to wake my cat up, and realize that i was looking at him with hunger in my eyes, and that he should mosey on out like he didnt just notice

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:00 pm

Geo...arrhh you are killing me:( its beans and rice 4 me tonite~not to stray off the subject: )making music is allot like cooking: )as i like space rock, my producer friend/universty mate told mei was drowning my music/food with reverb/ketchup;)but reverb/ketchup is GOOD!'specially with vocals wails/fries!

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:19 am

Thanks for that Milfus, great idea. Apr 15, 2008, 10:01pm, milfus wrote:well what i do, to try and typify a style, Is I will get about 3-4 songs from about 5-6 bands in that genre, and cross examine the similarities and differences, and generally you get a much clearer picture of what that style entails than you would think. But tory, why are ranting about studying genres you idiot, we are talking about finding our voice. AHA! i say, you allready KNOW your style, you can listen to a passage and give it a thumbs up or thumbs down, you can even say what part MADE you give it the thumbs up or thumbs down. so what ya do is listen to all your favorite songs, like your real go to songs, and find the parts in the songs that make it so great to you, if you are typical of us, that list will be like 80 things long, but less will be fine, then ya cross reference them and pick out which you prefer and which are your stand by's, and you are left with an entire list of techniques and stylistic approach that resonate very strongly with you, will it be unique?...maybe. will it be genuine and heartfelt?....its kind of impossible not to be. just my 2 pennies, I am nic fitting and ranting, but its one of the things I used to make my clients do, I developed it myself as the absolute start of the job for new talent, and you would be amazed how much it can focus a sound and a message and give ya a blue print to really launch a career off of. so maybe its worth a try *shrug*.

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:27 am

Oh my word Geo!!! How long were you going to keep that under your hat !!!Loving the video's, look at you go, if I attempt the brandy thing I'll have to have the phone in the other hand to call the fire department....hahahahahaha, you found your tongs yet LMAO! I love cooking and no I don't follow recipe books, unless they include the wonderful Jamie Oliver Your video's are great and what excellent music!!!

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by devin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:57 am

Thanks for the great thread Lindsey. I'm on the same path (wait...isn't everyone?!?), so the advice is extremely timely for me as well.I also find myself feeling great one session, and demoralized the next. A friend once told me that intensity for any given activity goes in cycles...some days (weeks?) things are very productive and clear...other times, it's a mess."Without the valleys, there wouldn't be any mountains."When I'm in a rut, I just figure my subconscious needs more 'soak time' before the lights come on again...
Earplugs may be required for anyone over the age of cool.

coachdebra
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by coachdebra » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:47 pm

I know I have a strong voice but I can use it in at least three different ways which always confused me, I've never known/understood which was mine lol! Oh, sweetie, they're all YOURS!! The key to finding your own sound is to use all of your voice and use it to express what's in your heart. Sometimes that's belting with anger, sometimes that's a soft seduction, sometimes that using your mid-range in a conversational tone. They're all your voice, just different aspects of it. So think more about what you're communicating and which tone, which resonance will most powerfully communicate that.I can't afford a vocal coach just yet but I'm pleased you pointed that out because while I know people can work on their voices I never thought about...getting my hands dirty and exploring until I find one that "fits". Yes a vocal coach will really help with this (if he/she's the right coach for you). Perhaps you can do a trade? Or perhaps you can meet with a coach once and get a bunch of exercises on tape, go home and work on it and come back once a month or every few months. There are ways to work around the money thing.Debra

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:15 pm

yeah right now I have the singing voice of like 2 very famous peoplebiz markee and old dirty bastardim a rough case, i got my little sing like a star cd's tho (not the actual name, ill find it if anyone really cares) and im drinking milk! so one day.....

geo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by geo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:09 pm

Apr 15, 2008, 8:29pm, squids wrote:Ooh, Geo. Chits was right. You ARE cute! And dude, seafood shepherd's pie? MAN!!! I had to bookmark it so I can try it. You da MAN!Aw shucks sweetheart, you're making the big guy blush , Glad you'll liked the vids, wish I had more time to do them... did a 5 course wine dinner yesterday at work, that was fun.... reverb ketchup.... like that!!Stop eyeing your cats like that.... they're no good unless you braise them and that takes too long to satisfy an instant craving Would love the chance to cook for everyone.... how about a Rally Retreat... we could build campfires, sing "Michael send some forwards my way, halleluiah" ,tell campfire stories about the boy who wouldn't pay attention to his "ala's" and was never seen again..... blaze and grill... sounds like a plan..... Geo

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Apr 18, 2008, 7:09pm, geo wrote:Would love the chance to cook for everyone.... how about a Rally Retreat... we could build campfires, sing "Michael send some forwards my way, halleluiah" ,tell campfire stories about the boy who wouldn't pay attention to his "ala's" and was never seen again..... blaze and grill... sounds like a plan..... GeoI'm game. You can cook for me anytime. I'll even share my secret barbecued shrimp recipe!