Finding your voice/genre

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Finding your voice/genre

Post by linziellen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:15 am

Hello all Over these last few weeks I have been writing as often as my daily schedule will allow. Three months ago I was writing songs that reading through now - even I can't figure out! It's amazing how much we progress without realizing it. Like learning a language through constant exposure. A lot of the time my ideas hit me when I'm not looking for them, then I take that idea and build on it but still depend greatly on what I personally like to listen to and on reasonably"safe" lyrics I think will work for others. I haven't necessarily been writing from the heart...apart from when I was spilling out all sorts of mind boggling junk.So now I've started to write in a more unique, personal way, keeping in mind that it has to be easy to follow and hopefully strike a chord with others...I feel much better for it. However I'm now questioning my voice! I'm looking at ways to develop what I have already into something a little different, something that's going to stand out from the crowd but then I might be forcing a style that's not natural...Bee Gees I once heard were just experimenting when they came across their unique high pitch! I think I have to go away and do some serious exploring!Do/did any of you struggle to develop your own style? At what point did you become your own fan, become confident in your way of writing, singing or whatever it is you do!?Hope that makes sense.Lindsey

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Finding your voice/genre

Post by anne » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:07 am

"Do/did any of you struggle to develop your own style? At what point did you become your own fan, become confident in your way of writing, singing or whatever it is you do!?"Hi Lindsay - I became pretty confident in what I do after the last rally, and more so this winter. As I got into a regular routine of writing and recording it became more natural and more comfortable to do; the music got better as well. For me, it's like wearing new clothes - at first they seem "special" and I wear them sparingly, then after a while they are just what I wear all the time.

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:41 am

Lindsey, my advice to you is to write & record, write & record, write & record, & then repeat the process. You learn what works for you & what doesn't & eventually without much conscience thought things begin to emerge that take the form of style & genre etc.

kg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kg » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:16 am

First things first, you have to stop caring what other people think. Take this time to write exactly what you feel whether it comes out in four-letter words or not, then sit back and ask yourself if you are proud of it/would be proud to perform it over and over again for the rest of your life. If you're feeling pretty good about that, then take another step in that direction; if it doesn't feel right, then keep trying. As far as your voice is concerned, get a vocal coach who can help you explore all the aspects of your voice that are available to you. When you find the right sound, it will click, I promise. I see so many singer-songwriters settle for something they aren't thrilled with just because they think that it's all they have available to them. I did this on my first album, and although I am proud of it and it is opening doors for me, it's not blowing them off the hinges and I *know* that it's because I held back a bit. My next album (just finished recording earlier this week !!!) is totally me at this point in my life and I haven't held anything back. I am beyond proud of it and I don't even have the post-production mix in my hands yet. My bet is that you haven't even begun to tap into what you're capable of and if you're willing to search for it and get a little dirt on your hands in the process, you'll be amazed at what you can uncover. Be adventurous, be fervent and most of all be what you are meant to be which is more than who you are right now. *slowly steps off of soap-box with sheepish grin*

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:10 am

Hi and thanks!Inspiring stuff! I have a lot of practice to do but I'm confident I will get there, I'm already making progress lyrically. I know I have a strong voice but I can use it in at least three different ways which always confused me, I've never known/understood which was mine lol! Thanks kg for your words of wisdom, I can't afford a vocal coach just yet but I'm pleased you pointed that out because while I know people can work on their voices I never thought about...getting my hands dirty and exploring until I find one that "fits". I believe you when you say it just clicks when you find the right one! How bad do I want that moment to come........ Eh you guys are fantastic! One day maybe we'll meet at one of the rallies (hope so)!Lindsey

stevev

Post by stevev » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:28 am

Hey Lindsey,I have to agree with KG...I think you have to write for yourself first and be comfortable being who you want to be as a songwriter/performer. That can be a tough road when you also want to have your music picked up.I've been lucky (or stupid - or probably a mixture of both), but from early on I pretty much realized I was writing for me and wasn't writing to impress others. That led to me developing my own style of writing, playing and singing. And while it's certainly not mainstream for the most part, I continuously have folks telling me they like my style - it's unique. Whether or not it will be a good fit for Taxi and listings remains to be seen, but I am very comfortable in what I do and how I do it.Speaking from a 'middle-aged' perspective, I think age has a bit to with it as well. Most of us become a bit more comfortable with who we are as people as we get older and I think that has helped me with my music. Some folks can do it early - as it appears with Kelly.Whatever you decide, take ownership of it. People realize when someone's heart and soul is in something as opposed to when they're tyring to pass something off and going through the motions for whatever reason. Most 'how to make it' tips include staying true to yourself and the rest will follow.That's my rainy day rambling...Steve V

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:31 am

It's raining there, huh? I went outside this morning only to see some more snow. Bummer. The weather is playin' games with us here. One day it's 50 degrees outside, the next, it's snowing. Sorry Lindsey, I won't get into all of that. Good advice from everyone though. I-468

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:31 am

Lindsey, I agree with billg's post - "my advice to you is to write & record, write & record, write & record, & then repeat the process." If anyone followed my progression since 2004, they would have seen me writing non-commerical stuff in various genres, experimenting with sounds and styles... I'm sure (as was pointed out to me by a very knowledgable person on this forum a couple of years ago) that it seemed like I didn't know who I was musically and that I needed to focus. But I felt that I needed to experiment and try different things because I really didn't know. I started out thinking I was a country writer. But look what I write now. Techno/action and dramatic orchestrations, contemporary jazz and ambient electronica. Miles from country.My best advice to you is to look through the listings carefully and highlight the ones that sound interesting to you. Go and listen to the a la's or samples that you can find... and experiment with writing something. You may find, as I do sometimes, that as I work on it I realize it doesn't light my fire. Or you may find that you enjoy the process but don't get the piece to the right place to submit, still, it's an experience. Or you may find that the process of getting that piece from idea to produced recording lifts you up. Nothing's better than creating something from scratch, submitting it before the deadline, knowing you've done the best you could. A forward is the icing on the cake.I will tell you the same thing I tell my voice students. The voice is already there, within you. Your job is, through the process of working with it every day... to become aware of the things you do that inhibit it (pushing, having expectations, wanting to be like someone else), and work to free it. If you 'allow' the voice to 'be what it is' it will show you the way. Follow your instincts (like, read the listings, what resonates with you)... trust them to lead you. That's my sunny day with cherry blossoms blooming down the street rambling,Hummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:38 am

Quote:Nothing's better than creating something from scratch, submitting it before the deadline, knowing you've done the best you could. A forward is the icing on the cake.And a deal makes it all worth it! Nicely said H'bird!I-468

linziellen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by linziellen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:50 am

Hey, thanks for your reply Steve.I've always written for me but since I've been trying to write what "fits" I've progressed by making my lyrics more universal but not toward the way "I" want to write. Having said that the last lot I just wrote felt way more natural to me, it had me "switched on" from start to end and I loved watching it develop. Yes you're right age certainly plays a part (depending who you are)! I for one agree, I'm still a spring chic but now mature enough to stand up and say "hell yes I write and sing and I'm proud of it"(ALMOST) I've been hiding under a rock and regret it big style....However - here I am and here I will stay. I'm not sure of my exact goal and in a way I'm glad of that, I'm keeping an open book. I need to find out what I am capable of before I can think about the future...thinking of the future lol, well I'm excited but scared to death of not following my heart. I don't want to be sitting at my piano at 93 singing about what "could have been" what I "should have done"!!!I've been known to advise people to stay "true to themselves" funny that I should be lost and not think these same thoughts of myself. Thanks for that Right onward and upwards...It's snowing here (makes for a good ramble excuse) seems to get worse with the weather!Lindsey