Force Oneself...or not?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Lipskimusic
Impressive
Impressive

Force Oneself...or not?

Post by Lipskimusic » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi Guys,

This is an odd one but I am still curious how you deal with it... When you created 2-3 drafts for a song and you really think none of them are good enough (or uninspired) do you still complete and submit or let go?

There were a couple of threads indicating that it is advisable to only submit what we are 100% convinced of (as probably we are all somewhat being categorised by Taxi at some point...). So really curious how you go about that.

I am currently working on the 'Fun Youthful Hip-Hop Instrumental' listing but listening to the instrumental versions of the 'ballpark' songs on Itunes they all become awfully boring once the vocals are cut out and replacing the vocals with a so-so instrument doesn't seem to do the trick.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Matt

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Force Oneself...or not?

Post by Len911 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Matt,
For some reason this thang popped into my head,lol! Replace the vocals with the Vocalizer

https://youtu.be/bhfS2nZ9d-8

When you created 2-3 drafts for a song and you really think none of them are good enough
I delete them and forget they ever existed, but that's why I don't have a catalog. :oops: :o :?
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Lipskimusic wrote:Hi Guys,

This is an odd one but I am still curious how you deal with it... When you created 2-3 drafts for a song and you really think none of them are good enough (or uninspired) do you still complete and submit or let go?

There were a couple of threads indicating that it is advisable to only submit what we are 100% convinced of (as probably we are all somewhat being categorised by Taxi at some point...). So really curious how you go about that.

I am currently working on the 'Fun Youthful Hip-Hop Instrumental' listing but listening to the instrumental versions of the 'ballpark' songs on Itunes they all become awfully boring once the vocals are cut out and replacing the vocals with a so-so instrument doesn't seem to do the trick.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Matt
Hi Matt. I trust my instincts. If a track or tracks aren't gelling for whatever reason, I put them away at least overnight or for a couple of days if possible. In your case I'd probably pick the one that you feel is most fun, and come back to it in a couple of days with fresh ears. Just listen to it then. Sometimes after a break we'll be able to 'see' what's missing. If not, then I leave the track and move on. At some point it's better to work on a new track rather than try to 'fix' the old one. But listening back in a few days - with an open mind - might provide answers.

With regard to the a la's, from what you're saying, a vocal line and probably harmony is needed to bring the piece to life. You need to be creative with this. They say, fun, youthful. How can you create a melody and counterpoint without vocals in a fun way, is the question I'd ask myself. Also, I'd really work on the percussion so it's lively and fun... that will make your 'melody' work a lot easier.

And hey, if your heart's not in this one, just move on to the next listing. Nothing wrong with that. Or post your best one up in P2P and see if anyone has some suggestions.

HTH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:23 am

Hi Matt,
Maybe just a few extra items of 'ear-candy' (e.g. tambs, reverse crashes, risers, shakers, cowbell, stabs, unusual textures, sparse melodic motifs) would help maintain the interest and momentum. Failing that, rearrangement might help prevent long sections dragging, and if you've got a full 3-4 minutes song but only need a 2min instrumental then there's plenty to play with. Its worth a try, and also helps hone arrangement skills.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Lipskimusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Lipskimusic » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:57 am

Thanks Guys for keeping me on track. Much appreciated.

Being still a Newbie so far I had submitted everything I wanted to and I am afraid that once I start not-subtmitting what I had planned to submit it may become a vicious circle :) I started a new session and will try something else. I am not a Hip Hop expert and therefore like the challenge so much :) My impression is that simplicity is king when it comes to this pitch and as we all know: simple is always difficult :) ...as Telefunkin said it is a great school to hone arrangement skills.

Cheers,
Matt

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:02 pm

I wrestle with that question quite a lot. I don't think there's one answer. It's as evasive as the creative question itself. There are some songs that I've felt good about but I knew something was missing. Often it's a learning curve thing and I eventually learned that the guitar was over distorted or there was too much reverb on the vocal, but it took awhile before I realized it.

I think there's an intangible factor that says, if your still excited about the song and feeling it's potential, work on it. If not, let it go and work on something else.

I think?

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Lipskimusic wrote:Hi Guys,

In answer to this I would add that there have been several of my forwards that were not my most inspired pieces....but they fit the listing. ;)

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:48 am

I would complete them with as little effort as I could, make notes, and make sure it's easy to return to it at a later stage, but I would not submit.
The reason for that is that listings are not once in a lifetime, similar listings or close enough listings will come, and then you have these tracks to use as a template.
You don't have to put your good name on the line for any one listing you aim for. It is training. In training you don't win or loose, you always win by doing it.

You may want to use a different drum kit, or a different bassline ect, but you have a start with the project that could speed up the next one, with the project file.

That way you can keep your integrity and sense of quality, and continue the learning path you started with the last project of similar kind.
In the meantime you can get serious with understanding what you did that sidetracked the project, and list some other options you could have applied.

Robin Fredrick's books on songwriting are great for this http://robinfrederick.com , and Dean Krippaehne's http://www.deankrippaehne.net/media , but any inputs you are ready to use will do.

Here's a random kick-off list to exemplify http://musictheoryisyourfriend.com/songwriting-tips/
Ceo of my own life

DavidS

Post by DavidS » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:03 am

Hi

I am a relative Newbie as well, being a member since September 2016.

I like the fact that Taxi has deadlines because it forces me to finish a piece. I find that I am polishing my pieces up to the last minute with last minute tweaks. It always goes through my head that it's "not good enough", but I submit anyway (most of the time) because:

a. If I wait until it's "perfect", then very little will get submitted.
b. At this point, even a rejecting critique is invaluable to let me know the areas I need to improve.
c. The deadline forces me to come up with something "as finished as it's gonna get", and therefore forces me to finish things.
d. Improvement in my production and writing abilities happens faster having the feedback of the critiques.
e. If you want to get into the licensing industry, it's about getting ideas out quickly, not spending months polishing a piece.
f. Even a rejected piece can be re-submitted, with improvements added.

With regard to "forcing" ideas, such as melodies, I find that if I "jam" to a track, that eventually a melodic line emerges that I like.

DavidS

Post by DavidS » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:07 am

Hi

I am a relative Newbie as well, being a member since September 2016.

I like the fact that Taxi has deadlines because it forces me to finish a piece. I find that I am polishing my pieces up to the last minute with last minute tweaks. It always goes through my head that it's "not good enough", but I submit anyway (most of the time) because:

a. If I wait until it's "perfect", then very little will get submitted.
b. At this point, even a rejecting critique is invaluable to let me know the areas I need to improve.
c. The deadline forces me to come up with something "as finished as it's gonna get", and therefore forces me to finish things.
d. Improvement in my production and writing abilities happens faster having the feedback of the critiques.
e. If you want to get into the licensing industry, it's about getting ideas out quickly, not spending months polishing a piece.
f. Even a rejected piece can be re-submitted, with improvements added.

With regard to "forcing" ideas, such as melodies, I find that if I "jam" to a track, that eventually a melodic line emerges that I like.