Forum Newbies... a few thoughts+FAQs

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GMDmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Forum Newbies... a few thoughts+FAQs

Post by GMDmusic » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:39 pm

Hummingbird,

Thanks again for all the info. I appreciate it.

AND VERY IMPORTANT: I wanted you to know your website shows your domain name expired on 09/27/2011 and is pending renewal or deletion.
Last edited by GMDmusic on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwarkentin

Post by dwarkentin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi All!
Guess I'm a "newbie" here, so ought to do the right thing and participate. I just re-joined Taxi on Jan. 1. Was previously a member back in '09, but dropped out to retrench and retool: Ditched my 4-track cassette player and went digital, rewrote a lot of songs based on Taxi (and other pros)critiques, and even spent bucks on some pro vocal demos of a few select songs (God, I wish I could sing!). Well, the scorecard on my 2009 tour with Taxi was as follows: Taxi 19, Dennis 0 (19 submissions, no forwards). But I learned HUGE from that experience, and I feel my songwriting and recording technique is at least 200% improved. So I'm back for more.
You know, none of us likes rejection, but it is part of the game and one of the only ways to learn and improve. That said, in my first week I have made 7 submissions, and am scared shitless of the outcome. But when that first forward eventually happens (and it will!), it will validate SOOO MUCH effort and time spent. You know what I'm talking about. Heck with getting a deal -- I'll be happy with a forward!
Most of my stuff is in the Americana/country rock vein, and I've been told it sounds somewhat dated, even when I try for a modern sound. That is no surprise, because I am dated, but not a reason not to get it out there. I am very interested in getting some member feedback, but having some difficulty linking my songs here. I went to my Artist page, but when I type in my username it always tells me it is already taken. I've tried numerous ridiculous names with the same result. Any ideas on that?
Anyhoo, I'm really excited to be back in the saddle with Taxi and have the opportunity to learn from them, and from you here in the forums.
Kind regards,
Dennis
Valdosta, GA
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities; in the expert's mind there are few" -- Shunryu Suzuki
www.taxi.com/denniswarkentin

dwarkentin

Post by dwarkentin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi all,
I just rejoined Taxi on Jan. 1, 2012. This is only my 2nd attempt to post, don't know why my first try didn't show up (maybe because I used the word "s___less" -- sorry!)
But thanks for providing this forum and making sure all us newbies feel welcome and have a heads up on the etiquette.
Thanks to other posts on this thread, I figured out how to get my link to work!
In my 1st post (lost in the ether somewhere??) I gave a brief intro. For now, suffice to say I am very excited about rejoining Taxi and participating in the forums. This biz is a process, and I look forward to that regardless of where it leads. Like all of you, I play & write music because I LOVE IT, and that's enough. I am totally open to constructive critcism, because learning and improvement depend on that. Like I said, its a process.
So, I invite you to check out my music if you are so inclined, and I look forward to participating in the peer-to-peer forum and others, and to meeting all of you.
Kind regards,
Dennis

BTW, here is my link in case I can't figure out this signature line thing (which I can't!): http://www.taxi.com/denniswarkentin
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities; in the expert's mind there are few" -- Shunryu Suzuki

dwarkentin

Post by dwarkentin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi all,
I just reupped with Taxi on Jan. 1, and brand new to the forums, so need to introduce myself . That way I can take full advantage of your help and encouragement and offer mine as best I can and when appropriate.
I was previously a Taxi member in 2009, but dropped out for a few reasons:
1. Low success rate (19 submits, no forwards)
2. A definite raising of the bar in the listings ("master quality, top-notch vocals", etc.)
3. A definite trend towards TV & film placements vs song pitches ("broadcast quality . . .")
4. A new day gig that required a good bit of time & psychic involvement.
So, now I have retooled and retrenched: Ditched my 4-track cassette recorder, went digital, bought some equipment, did some reading, re-read my old Taxi critiques, re-wrote some old songs, wrote some new ones, got a short list of high quality vocal demos made (expensive! God, I wish I could sing!).
The result is that my tracks are at least 200% better now than before. I owe a lot of that to Taxi! So now I'm back for more.
I can't say that I am a prolific songwriter, but I am a compulsive one. I love doing it, and that is it's own reward. Of course, a forward would be nice, as we all like to see our efforts validated by pros and peers.
As of today I only have 4 songs marked as public, as they are pro demo singers. Maybe I'll loosen up a bit once I get to know you folks better.
I'm very excited about participating in the forums, where I stand to learn much. I've checked out some of the members' music, and am way impressed with the quality of talent out there.
Anyhoo, its taken me 2 days to figure out how to post, so hope it works.
Kind regards,
Dennis

dwarkentin

Post by dwarkentin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Ok, sorry for the multiple posts!!! I didn't realize there was a lag time of several days involved, so I kept re-sending redundant jabber in hopes it would show up.
My bad!
:? --Dennis

joshhowatt
Active
Active

Post by joshhowatt » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:01 am

Hey everyone, another newbie here (I know, ugh! JK)
Just thought I'd introduc myself:
Just joined this week, and I have to admit, this is a whole lot more than I bargained for. I've been a songwriter for as long as I can remember, and started learning piano before my feet could even reach the peddles. Moved to NYC from Orange County, CA, only because I can't stand LA (no offense), where I tried to hack it as a singer-songwriter, but then realized that I loved creating more than playing. SO here I am, writing music in hopes that someday someone with a voice and reach will do it justice.

I'm also trying to learn and absorb as much as possible when it comes to mixing/producing, as well as the industry as a whole. So if you have any advice or skills please send them my way. I'm also open to collaborating.

I sincerely look forward to getting to know all of you and hopefully maybe getting some leads along the way. :)

Best,
Josh

Volcanology
Active
Active

Post by Volcanology » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Thank you very much, I read this over and it provided a great intro, MUCH APPRECIATED

Evan

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:01 am

dwarkentin wrote:Hi All!
Guess I'm a "newbie" here, so ought to do the right thing and participate. I just re-joined Taxi on Jan. 1. Was previously a member back in '09, but dropped out to retrench and retool: Ditched my 4-track cassette player and went digital, rewrote a lot of songs based on Taxi (and other pros)critiques, and even spent bucks on some pro vocal demos of a few select songs (God, I wish I could sing!). Well, the scorecard on my 2009 tour with Taxi was as follows: Taxi 19, Dennis 0 (19 submissions, no forwards). But I learned HUGE from that experience, and I feel my songwriting and recording technique is at least 200% improved. So I'm back for more.
You know, none of us likes rejection, but it is part of the game and one of the only ways to learn and improve. That said, in my first week I have made 7 submissions, and am scared shitless of the outcome. But when that first forward eventually happens (and it will!), it will validate SOOO MUCH effort and time spent. You know what I'm talking about. Heck with getting a deal -- I'll be happy with a forward!
Most of my stuff is in the Americana/country rock vein, and I've been told it sounds somewhat dated, even when I try for a modern sound. That is no surprise, because I am dated, but not a reason not to get it out there. I am very interested in getting some member feedback, but having some difficulty linking my songs here. I went to my Artist page, but when I type in my username it always tells me it is already taken. I've tried numerous ridiculous names with the same result. Any ideas on that?
Anyhoo, I'm really excited to be back in the saddle with Taxi and have the opportunity to learn from them, and from you here in the forums.
Kind regards,
Dennis
Valdosta, GA

Welcome back and good luck!

ruthgree

Post by ruthgree » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:31 pm

I'm a newbie -- joined last month, for the first time. I'm a songwriter/singer, and wanted to improve my recording and playing chops so I could produce my own tracks. (Advice welcome!) Although I've had songs recorded and on TV, they've gotten there via studio demos, mostly. Have a ZOOM H2 recorder, and a Boss digital studio; play acoustic guitar and keyboard.

Hm, what else to say? Fighting the blahs a bit these days, like Ochaim; am trying to figure out why I resist going into my little studio when I'm so happy once I'm there and writing/playing.

Submitted an mp3 of vocal cues last week, just to get rid of the burden of TAXI virginity. Ready for the real thing now.

What other Qs do newbies answer? Anyway, hooray for all of us who make something out of sound, no matter what.

Ruth

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:58 am

Check out Casey's presentation for newbies here: http://www.caseysongs.com/publicfiles/M ... ss_101.ppt