Help for old reel-to-reel tape deck?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Help for old reel-to-reel tape deck?

Post by Merryband1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:33 pm

I was transcribing some old songs for the "OLD" Gospel music listing. I have a reel-to-reel tape deck that I got from a friend, and hadn't really used it except to try it out when we first got it. It worked fine then. I cleaned the heads, capstans, and reels. I couldn't find our old degausser, but I thought I'd risk it. The first song I messed up because this deck has a feature our old machine didn't have: auto reverse. It attempted to reverse, and messed up. I was able to rewind it a bit (by hand, to avoid stretching or otherwise damaging the tape), and start again from a little before I left off, so I know I can edit that song together in my DAW.
Then the next take, I discovered (to my horror :o ) was not recorded at the 7.5 ips max this machine can handle, but at 15 ips, the professional speed. I transcribed it, anyway, and, with a little trial and error, found that by changing the pitch shift in semitones, I could take it back up to the correct speed and levels. That worked fine.
THEN, I switched to another tape. It was also recorded at 15 ips, but I thought, okay, it worked before. I turned it on and let it rip, then went off and practiced some piano. Came back when the tape suddenly stopped. Listened to the transcription, and, oh, no! It was acting like it had been recorded on one of those cheapo machines without a capstan. It sped up, it slowed down, it sped back up...it slowed WAY down. It stopped. My DAW (ancient though it is) is good, but it's not THAT good.
Any suggestions on how I can fix the tape deck? I don't expect anyone in this area has ever worked on one before. My dad could have fixed it, and so could his best friend, but they're both gone now. I'm thinking maybe open it up and oil some parts?
Help!
Thanks!

Merry

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Help for old reel-to-reel tape deck?

Post by Len911 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:49 pm

Merry, I think first you must determine that it wasn't the tape. I would try it again, but this time not leave the room. I've never used a reel-to-reel, but being as the first tape worked, of course if the first one didn't have as much tape on the reel it might have been an easier load on the motor?

I would buy a new fresh blank reel-to-reel tape not used or nos (new old stock). You could record a test tone and gauge where you are or where you stand on the operation of the deck itself, it seems to me. Old tapes especially that had been recorded on another machine, and rewound and fast forwarded how many times, and unknown state of decay would hardly seem to be an ideal form of troubleshooting a tape deck.

http://www.fullcompass.com/category/Ree ... &view=Grid

If it's the tape, and to fix it in the daw, you might have to work on smaller sections of the recording at a time, by selecting and processing smaller sections.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:16 am

I transcribed it, anyway, and, with a little trial and error, found that by changing the pitch shift in semitones, I could take it back up to the correct speed and levels.
I don't know what daw you have, but Audacity http://www.audacityteam.org/ has a feature you can change speeds (changes tempo, pitch and frequency). It might be easier than semitones.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/change_speed.html
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:45 am

Hi Merrybrand!

You sound so much like me! I have my dad's Teac A 4300, and he is gone as well..I also have a Fostex 8 track and Teac 1040S 4 track. ..anyway, I have taken apart and oiled pieces,,I had a frozen wheel on my Teac 1040S. There is special oil to use..nortons sharpening oil, or gun oil.. ..

I had the best assistance with a fellow named Rolf...via email...here is is website...he can probably help you.
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/vintagetx/

I also joined http://www.tapeheads.net/ where you can post questions in the reel to reel forum..

Let me know how it goes and I wish you reely good luck!

Linda

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Thank you, Len & Linda! Your comments made me feel better.

I'd love to find some new 1/4 inch audio tape that I could afford. The latest review I read about some of them, they'll only work on the new high-tech reel-to-reel machines. I will be looking, though. I would really love to record on tape again.

I'll have to look for the oil for the machine. Naturally, the original Tape Care Kit has been used up. It had oil, head cleaner, and I don't remember what all. Don't know where the degausser is, either. :roll: The only oil I have is sewing machine oil. :D

Thanks for the websites. I'll look into them!

Meanwhile, our music director at church used to work for a local radio station, and he's going to look into some of their old machines for me. :)

Best, Merry/Marion

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:00 am

Merrybrand,

You can get new audio tape on Ebay...you can get the oil at a hardware store...

Linda

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:14 am

The sewing machine oil should do just fine, but don't use alcohol on the rubber parts. In the meantime, consider having the tapes transferred professionally; unless you have the wherewhithal, using tape is just a bear, these days.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Merryband1
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Merryband1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks, Linda & Mojo.

I remember no alcohol on the rubber parts. I meant to buy some 3-in-1 oil at the store, and I forgot. I'll try the sewing machine oil first. Right after I make the time to hand-rewind the tape. :roll:

One thing I remember NOT missing is being in the middle of a take, making a mistake, and having to start over from the beginning! I love digital editing. Still.... miss that warm tube sound. Must remember to build a preamp. :D (Actually, think this R2R is solid state, anyway, so...)

Merry

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:20 am

I just got my Tascam 22-2 stereo mastering deck refurbished by Adrian Pro Audio here in L.A. This guy is THE tape recorder dude in "town." He's worked on tape decks since the Ice Age --- In fact, that's ALL he does!

When I put my old 15 i.p.s. masters on, I was shocked how great they sounded! You can't beat tape compression. When I transferred them to digital, at 0 db they were almost TWICE as loud as my digital mixes! Full, warm, every frequency from 20 Hz to 20 kHz was there.

That said, Adrian has always been a Maxell reel-to-reel tape guy. He hates Ampex 456, and told me not to use it. Ever! So what do I do? Put on one reel of Ampex 456 that had some of my good mixes on the 22-2. Bad idea!... The next time I tried to record on it, the deck didn't work. I was stumped, and called Adrian. He's from Eastern Europe, and asked me in his charming accent "By any chance did you put a reel of Ampex 456 on your tape recorder?" I thought for a second (because most of my masters were on Maxell XL 1), and said "Oh, I forgot. Yes, I used one reel of Ampex." He said "Dat is da problem. Da magnetic coating on da tape has coated your heads. Clean dem wit 90% isopropyl alcohol. Dat will solve da problem." I DID have some rubber cleaner left from "the old days," and cleaned the pinch roller. Then I went to Walgreens and bought some isopropyl alcohol and used Q-tips to clean the heads. Bingo! Adrian was correct... I also asked him if I needed to demagnetize the heads, and he said "No. Just clean dem. You be O.K."

Of course, this doesn't solve YOUR problem. But if you're so inclined, you can ship your tape deck to Adrian Pro Audio. He's the BEST! His phone # is: (818) 347-9271... There's not too many guys like him left!

Good luck!

Ern 8-)

Rakel

Post by Rakel » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:16 pm

ernstinen wrote:I just got my Tascam 22-2 stereo mastering deck refurbished by Adrian Pro Audio here in L.A. This guy is THE tape recorder dude in "town." He's worked on tape decks since the Ice Age --- In fact, that's ALL he does!
Good luck!
Cool story. I have an old R2R (from my father) and some tape in the attic. I don't think the machine is great quality, but now I think I need to get it down and try it out.
Sticky Keys and Fakebook sheet music - my gig rig.