How Long it Takes Before a Deal -- Tell Your Stories Here!

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sguiles
Impressive
Impressive

Re: How Long it Takes Before a Deal -- Tell Your Stories Here!

Post by sguiles » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:20 pm

I just wanted to thank you all for these posts. They really are encouraging for those of us still on the road to getting our first placements via Taxi.

:)

Thanks!
Steven Wesley Guiles | FB | Taxi | Tweety | NewCoolNow |

"You can't wait for inspiration.
You have to go after it with a club."
— Jack London

pedrocosta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by pedrocosta » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:47 am

For me it was lucky 13.
I nearly did not renew my membership after the first year. With my wife's support and positive energy from forum members I took the plunge and renewed for 2 years. Also booked my flight and hotel room for the Rally. A month later one of my forwards lead to a call back from a music supervisor. That initial deal ended up falling through due to a change from the network. However I was asked to do a work for hire project for the production company. This last month has been phenomenal for me. Taxi Rally was incredible. The work for hire deal has lead to a possible new project. Also joined a really good library and have had 15 cues accepted. Never give up on your dream. I'm so thankful I didn't :D
Pedro Costa
Image Image Image

joshcolemanmusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by joshcolemanmusic » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:14 pm

This is a really helpful thread. I've had 2 forwards since joining (I think in the spring) plus 2 music supes picked up one of my songs from a panel at the Road Rally (which was amazing-the Road Rally, that is). No deals yet but all forwards make me feel like at least I'm not completely in my own world. Very, very helpful to know how long it can take.
Josh

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi all,

I was looking at a photo of Barry this morning, and it reminded me of this post. Read this, and then read what is below it. Barry's story is one of the best examples of how and why TAXI members who succeed DO succeed. — Michael
bigbluebarry wrote:My "first" deal started about a week after a dispatch forward. It was a song for an artist that was signed to a production deal with a manager who's connected to Radio Disney. I got the call about the deal the night before my first Rally in 2008. We (it was a co-written song) worked with the artist for a couple months trying to write some more material for them but things just didn't seem to go anywhere. Things cooled off and we figured that the deal was dead.

Then a few weeks later they called me up and said that they were going to be playing at a GMA Showcase in Nashville (April 2009) and they wanted to do our song in their set. So we went to the showcase and hung out with them, etc... But after that, things cooled off and it looked like the deal was dead again.

Then about two weeks ago, I got another call from the band once again. This time they were calling to let us know that they are in the middle of recording their album and they wanted to record our song for the album. They've already landed a spot with Radio Disney for the lead single and it appears that our track might (you really never know) be one of the upcoming singles.

So in summary, the song was forwarded on October 30, 2008, I got a phone call from the company on November 5, 2008 and then 16 months later we're signing a mechanical license :-)

In between the beginning and end of that story, I've signed a couple of deals that happened 4 months and 3 months after the initial forward. As well as getting a gig as a composer for one of those day-time talk shows (you know the one ;)) as a result of meeting the library owner at the '08 Rally and giving him a CD. It only took 9 months for that deal to happen :-)

To add in some perspective, the first deal I signed last year (Apr 2009) happened 4 months after the forward (a dispatch forward from 12-24-2008), and that forward was the the 47th forward I had gotten my first year of TAXI out of 107 submissions.

I think to be successful in this business, in particular if you're wanting to land film/tv placements, you need three things:

1) Patience
2) Hard Work
3) Numbers

I think the first two are self-explanatory but by "Numbers" I mean, you have to have a lot of tracks. The more tracks you have, the more opportunities that those tracks can get forwarded, signed and placed. And I think it goes without saying that above all else, you have to have quality. Just having hundreds of tracks doesn't guarantee you any success (technically, there are no guarantees with anything though), but having hundreds of QUALITY tracks definitely will increase your chances.
- Big Blue
Over 1,000 placements for (formerly Big) Blue Barry, Posted November 7th, 2012
Ever have so much to share but don't even know where to start??? That's where I'm at right now. Not to mention, I'm short on time as I've still got a small bit of packing left to do before I depart for L.A. and the Road Rally. A lot of you here know me but I've not been on the boards as frequently this past year so for those of you that don't know me or don't know me as well...

I joined TAXI in January of 2008 as a complete newbie to the world of Film and TV music. I went to the Rally that year and it totally changed my world around. The following year I was honored and humbled to have a chance to be on the 1st TAXI Members Success panel. That rally also marked the beginning of my 5 year plan. This week marks the start of Year 4 in my 5 year plan and I'm still in amazement that I'm going to be on "5 Year Plan" panel, along with Matt Hirt, Dave Walton, John Mazzei and Dean Krippaehne, the four guys that I've tried to model my career after. Truly humbling for me.

I need to spend some time to look up all the actual statistics but the short version is I've now had my music used in over 60 different productions, series, promos, ads, etc... resulting in over 500 cue sheets with over 1,000 placements, nearly all of which are either directly as a result of a TAXI forward that turned into a deal that turned into a placement, or by networking with industry execs at the Rally, or by collaborating with fellow TAXI composers, or by referrals from other fellow TAXI members. And while my royalties aren't enough to quit the day job just yet, I reached a new plateau this year and if they continue to grow at the rate that they've grown the past two years, then I just might be able to quit that day job by the end of my 5 year plan!

The other thing that I wanted to share about, and those of you that are friends with me on Facebook or in "real life" already know, but I've also undergone a major transformation in my life. I haven't really shared about it much here but thought it was time to do so, otherwise some of you might not recognize me in L.A. :-)

Back on April 16th of this year I began my weight loss journey. And it was more than just trying to lose weight, it was about getting healthy. When I actually get to the point of doing music full time, I want to be able to enjoy it, so that meant getting my personal health in order. So in the past 6.5 months or so I've managed to lose 103lbs. I feel like a completely new person, and I look like one too :-)

Here's a somewhat recent before-after shot, though the after shot was from nearly 2 months ago and I've lost another 16lbs since that picture was taken, but you get the point :-) Big Blue Barry is no more... now you can just call me Blue, or Barry, either one is fine :-) lol

See the "new" Barry here: http://forums.taxi.com/topic79789.html

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi All -

I've been reviewing my year and thought I would share some findings. A number of people have posted questions about how long it takes, here is my experience.

I joined Taxi April 2010. My first submission was a custom critique which came back favorable. I decided to stick with Taxi for 5 years before making any judgements. I submitted to my first listing on 4/6/2010; first Forward 6/2/2010. More returns and forwards.

September 16, 2011, a member I had gotten to know via the forum and the Rally (and now one of my very good friends) emailed me about a recent forward, asking if it was from XXXXXX library. He writes for them and called the owner on my behalf. I signed my first deal on 1/19/12.

The first forward that resulted in a call (without help from a forum member : ) was April 19, 2012. I got a call from the library owner about 4 days after the listing deadline. After some initial confusion, I signed my thrid deal, with them, 11/10/12. My fourth library deal came again, from a friend on the forum - he recommended me to the library owner in June, they listened to my music, and we signed a deal August, 2012

As of today, I am signed with 4 libraries. 57 total Taxi submissions, 38 returns, 50 Tracks currently signed to libraries. No placements on my BMI sheets yet - but it is just a matter of time.

The thing that really sticks out for me is how long it takes once contacted to sign a contract. I knew it could be a while from forward to contact. But I didn't plan on taking sometimes months from contact to contract. I'll echo what Barry said - patience, hard work and numbers - and of course quality.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

jfiegen

Post by jfiegen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:40 pm

With a year and two months as a Taxi member, 24 submissions/rejections under my belt and three submissions in the can awaiting rejection, I can't help but be a little apprehensive about my decision to re-up my membership for another two years. I attended the Road Rally this year and attended as many events as I could, but got little encouragement. Like most industries it's the insiders who get the work and the path to "inside" is a little murky for me. I think this year I will concentrate on assembling some of my music on a CD and try to get an appointment for one of the mentor lunches to see what I can do to further my "career". I'm beginning to get a little discouraged by all the glowing quotes I read in the newsletter that Michael sends out. It's no fun being on the outside looking in when i know I can create incredible music for film and TV, given the right opportunities. :| :|

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by daveydad » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:33 am

very encouraging to read this thread. i've only been a taxi member since last sept and have submitted 46 songs with 7 forwards so far! because i love all music, i compose in many instrumental genres, perhaps too many. therefore i wonder if it might be good to focus in 2013 on just 1 or 2. listening to other members' forwards have been very helpful and i always enjoy (?) the critique on returns. my music has been used in some small local endeavors but i'm hopeful something will break through for me this year with taxi. but no mater what, i will continue to compose for the shear love of it. thanks all!

NathanNasby
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NathanNasby » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:14 am

So the general vibe I'm getting from all this is that after a month I should hang in there :)! Thanks for posting all this everyone! It's been encouraging to read all your stories and how unpredictable the time frames can be.
http://www.taxi.com/chameleon

You can't make music fun..... It is fun! You can however make it a drag.

benniknop
Active
Active

Post by benniknop » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:30 pm

I've been a member since late Jan 2013. I've had 31 submissions (18 Listings), 9 forwards and the rest returned. I got sent my first music library contract on the 14th of March. This is from a boutique company, I've yet to sign the contract.

Most of my returns are because I've not been spot on with the genre. Most times I don't read the listing properly and sometimes I don't think they give enough information. I submit a lot of songs that I think are off but try push them through anyway. TAXI do know what the client wants. I agree with most of the feedback I get from them, a lot of the times I can tell what they'll say because I run out of time and know what is wrong with the track I've posted. Because I'm new I'm getting as much stuff out as I can and submit tunes that are not quite ready. I'm learning to only post when I know a track is finished.

Anyway hope this helps.

GreggArious

Re: How Long it Takes Before a Deal -- Tell Your Stories Her

Post by GreggArious » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:58 am

Many of these stories are very inspiring. It helps to read what others have gone through and are going through. I don't have much of a story yet - but I will soon.

~Gregg
Gregg Damore