Just checking

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Alasdair
Impressive
Impressive

Just checking

Post by Alasdair » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:04 pm

Newbie here. not just to taxi but anything music that's not in my livingroom.

this might sound really stupid but is there anything basic 101 that i should be doing legally before submitting music through taxi.. as i have no record label or anything like that. i had a brief search in FAQ but only chats about setting up LLC came up which doesnt seem that relevant to me right now...

just imagine iam a 10 year old kid.. is there anything i should know..

I currently label the mp3 files as the same name as the track title. put down the genre and my name as the artist and composer. oh and set the file as read only after i edited it.

So have i missed anything obvious and am i safe / reasonably protected to submit music as is. as files like that..

thanks for your time in advance

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Just checking

Post by MattCurious » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Legally speaking, the main thing is not to infringe anyone else's copyright - broadly speaking, this means: Ensure that you have the permission of any co-writers before you submit, and don't sample or copy other people's stuff.
-------------------------
matt-collinson.com

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Like Matt above me said, as long as you're submitting your own music you're okay. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure you haven't used any illegal or uncleared samples on your music.

As for mp3 metadata, it's wise to include your contact information in the mp3. However, Taxi will send your contact info along to the listing party if your music is forwarded. Still, it's a good standard practice to always include your contact info - at a bare minimum - in the mp3 metadata.

~~Matt

Alasdair
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Alasdair » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Cool thanks a lot guys. I create everything on my yamaha tyros. I presume the sounds on the keyboard are good for me to use as it's supposedly a professional work station.. cost enough money lol seperate from that I don't use anything on the computer. The files go to the computer to get converted from wave to mp3 only and then go straight to taxi. As a general rule I compose with my eyes closed (can't read music) just following what sounds right although the keyboard will score for me.. good tip with contact data will do that going forward.

Thanks guys

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:43 pm

If you haven't been submitting, you might want to pick a listing and post a link to your proposed submission, we'll try to help you by giving our feedback on the fit for the listing and the quality of the track.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Alasdair
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Alasdair » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Thankyou so much hummingbird, truly helpful and kind. Stupidly I've been sporadically submitting before asking the question I did above.. see complete rockie ... I definitely struggle with getting the right feel for the listing as unfamiliar with music terminology and sometimes Google doesn't help..lol... I have only written 4 pieces specifically for ads.. the rest are kind of pressure done stuff that seems like it fits. So promised myself I will write more this year and your help would be highly appreciated and if I can help you in any way.. please please ask.

I have about a 25% successful rate with returns / forwards whiamsure isn't great so looking to improve that

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:26 am

There's a lot of anxiety among newbs about having one's music 'stolen'; what you want to worry about is if it's hijacked or counterfeited. For the moment, you can still extract a living from your fans, if you have some.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Lipskimusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Lipskimusic » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:11 pm

mojobone wrote:There's a lot of anxiety among newbs about having one's music 'stolen'; what you want to worry about is if it's hijacked or counterfeited. For the moment, you can still extract a living from your fans, if you have some.
@mojobone: Since you are a long standing member, do you know whether it ever occurred that someone in this forum actually had a plagiarism issue? Funny enough I am both a Newbie and a lawyer by trade (although working in a different industry) and I (speaking only for myself) am not overly concerned as long as best practice is being followed (and from what I can see there are lots of threads discussing what that 'best practice' should be).

Cheers,
Matt

Alasdair
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Alasdair » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks people. Appreciate the comments so in conclusion as long as Iam creating my work myself and insert prudent info into the MP3 files I upload Iam basically done and (touch wood) shouldn't experience any issues or missed out on some rookie stuff. Should have done prior.

Thanks people.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:40 am

Lipskimusic wrote:
mojobone wrote:There's a lot of anxiety among newbs about having one's music 'stolen'; what you want to worry about is if it's hijacked or counterfeited. For the moment, you can still extract a living from your fans, if you have some.
@mojobone: Since you are a long standing member, do you know whether it ever occurred that someone in this forum actually had a plagiarism issue? Funny enough I am both a Newbie and a lawyer by trade (although working in a different industry) and I (speaking only for myself) am not overly concerned as long as best practice is being followed (and from what I can see there are lots of threads discussing what that 'best practice' should be).

Cheers,
Matt
We used to say having your music stolen would be progress, cuz it's hard enough to get anybody to listen to it. It's generally not worth anything, 'til it's pitched to people whose time is expensive by other such persons. Concerns about plagiarism are common enough , but mainly it's fear we might have inadvertently nicked a little something from somewhere. It happens to everybody who writes; McCartney famously pestered everyone for a week over Yesterday. Even he couldn't believe he'd written it and he's y'know, Paul McCartney.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone