Kontakt - how do I deklutzify?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Kontakt - how do I deklutzify?

Post by jazzstan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:56 pm

In windows7 Sonar Producer, and using Kontakt 5, and often have three or more instruments... so I do the little minus "-" thingy to reduce the screen size of an instrument that I'm not currently editing or adjusting, and the plus "+" button to open an instrument up.

THE PROBLEM is that I will occasionally accidentally hit the "x" (delete) button instead... and poof.. all my settings and tweaks and adjustments are lost. Yeah, sometimes I'm all thumbs, a klutz, impatient and/or not paying attention.

Is there a way to "lock" an instrument so the "x" button isn't so easy to hit? Or at least intervene with a good old pop-up window "are you sure you want to delete this?" Something other than the instantaneous vanishing act, followed by my muttered expletives? I mean not even a sparkler and puff of smoke!

Stan M.

*PS.. I'm pretty good about my back-up habits, so I can just abandon a session and restore. So it's not a total loss each time. Just an annoying interruption of my workflow.

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Kontakt - how do I deklutzify?

Post by jazzstan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:00 pm

Len, interesting info, but in my experience screensets may lock the arrangement of stuff on the screen, but not the contents. And x-ray won't move a portion of a synth view to the background, will it? Seems to be all or nothing.. i.e. all of contact, not just one instrument. Anyway, I have two screens so usually have my instruments on screen 2. From my perspective the issue is not a Cakewalk/Sonar one, but a Kontakt one. Correction, the issue is my klutzy-ness... the solution may reside somewhere within Kontakt.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Kontakt - how do I deklutzify?

Post by Len911 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:52 pm

Stan, I don't use Sonar, I use Cubase. If I hit the x I lose the screen, but I don't lose the instrument or the settings, I have to actually unload it from the vst slot. I only lose the screen, and to restore the screen I hit the "circle e" button.

I see what you mean, it looks like in Sonar to open a vst that you right click and select, and that hitting the x is the way to unload the vst from the track.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music