elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Mastering issues on inspirational track

Post by elser » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:41 pm

I wrote this song

https://soundcloud.com/jon-esler/fist-pump/s-Cd9YF

for this listing

INSPIRING ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES in a variety of Tempos and Ensemble Sizes are needed by a successful NON-Exclusive Music Library for placements in TV, Film, and Commercials. They’re specifically looking for Inspiring, Uplifting Rock Instrumental Cues that you’d hear in popular shows like (but not limited to) Undercover Boss, The Biggest Loser, Extreme Makeover Home Edition, etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get an idea of the wide range of styles that could work:

“Undercover Boss” (0:55 - 2:10)

“Extreme Makeover Home Edition” (1:30 – 2:51)

“The Biggest Loser” (2:30 - 4:00)

I've been struggling with getting it to master quality without distortion and other annoyances. Any fresh ears care to comment? I'm pretty sure I captured the emotional requirement...but maybe not?
All replies welcome.

Thanks again, I've been away for awhile, got pretty sick for about 5 months.

Jon

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Mastering issues on inspirational track

Post by ernstinen » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Hey Jon! I think you accomplished what you set out to do compositionally. Sound-wise though, I have a few comments.

First of all, the cymbals (especially the hi hat at the beginning) are either mixed too loud, or EQ'd too bright. Not a lot, but when the bells come in WOAH! Way too high in the mix. Orchestra bells cut like a knife, and should be brought way down in a mix. You'll hear 'em even if you do that!... Overall, it's a VERY bright mix.

The drums and bass sound really good. My only other thought is for a rock track, I know there's guitars in there, but I can barely hear them. When I was in a band with a keyboardist (I also play keyboards, but like to play guitar better), I tended to mix the keyboards too loud... The further I got into your track, the more I wished the guitars were more up front rather than the keyboards! Maybe I'm too sensitive to not liking the sound of synthesizers much anymore, but to me they got really annoying quickly. Either turn them down, or turn the guitars up! It's a rock track, right? More cowbell! (Just kidding). But, yeah, more guitar to drive the bus on this one, IMHO.

You get a really big sound, so I don't think a little tweak here or there will hurt the power and inspirational quality; in fact, it will make it more powerful and inspirational!

My 2 cents,

Ern :)

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:31 am

Hey Ern, good to hear from you! I think your comments are probably right on. I know I have quite a bit of hearing loss above 8k, looks like it's starting to become an issue, I've heard similar comments in the past. But when I look at the tune on a spectrum analyzer it's pretty straight across the spectrum until it drops off around 60hz. But after
listening again I hear your points. Too bad I'm stuck in Elko for a week. I'll fix it when I get home.

Tanks,
Jon

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:56 am

when I look at the tune on a spectrum analyzer it's pretty straight across the spectrum until it drops off around 60hz.
It shouldn't be straight. The harmonics always go lower in volume than the fundamental frequency. That is demonstrated in the youtube video. The video is actually demonstrating the slope control on the analyzer, where you can set the display to appear flat, even though it's not actually. I'm guessing that you didn't adjust a slope control on your analyzer to appear flat, because if you did, it would show a higher level in the higher frequencies than the mid or lower frequencies. To recap, if you don't hear the higher frequencies and increase them with an eq, and you check on the spectrum analyzer it will appear as a flatter frequency.

https://youtu.be/qx5GaZ8-zxY?t=3m44s
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music