Move Away from Your Computer...

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Move Away from Your Computer...

Post by guscave » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:31 am

I spent a ridiculous amount of time yesterday trying to get a mix just right. I did 4 different mixes and none of them were to my satisfaction. I finally gave up and went to sleep. Today I scrapped everything and started the whole mix from scratch with fresh ears and new focus. I was able to complete the mix in just about 30 minutes and it sound ten times better.

I think we're all guilty of doing this sometimes, but it bears reminder, that sometimes you just have to walk away and hit the reset button. ;)

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Move Away from Your Computer...

Post by hummingbird » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:40 am

Good advice! I typically take two days to write an instrumental. The first day is composition with maybe some panning and volume. The second day is come back with fresh ears to finish it off.

Also, I've found that if something isn't gelling and sounds like crap... if I put it away for a couple of days I might be able to hear what needs to be fixed when I come back. Or decide, yep, that IS crap, let's move on ;)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:23 am

Big +1 on that thought Gus! :lol:
The number of times its happened to me too in the past. :shock:
Now, as it gradually dawns on me that I'm disappearing up my own backside, I just flip the switch and go to bed.
I'm always stunned by how much more easily a mix comes together at the next attempt.
Good advice!
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:04 am

I also agree with that! I can't count the times that I label mixes "Morning Mix," and when I listen back to the mixes that I did the previous day, the "Morning Mix" is ALWAYS better!... It's just like composing. When you get "stuck" and start THINKING too much, it's time to stop! Go for a walk, go to bed, anything to get away from it for awhile. Being in a hurry to finish something never works too well!

Cheers,

Ern 8-)

Strangesound
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Strangesound » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:48 am

This is a great hangout with Bob Horn and he talks about taking a break every 30-45 minutes.
It's a long hangout but there are some interesting gems in there (great youtube channel, too!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c7MIyp ... hoB6WJgIkI
Adrian

Strummerpdx

Post by Strummerpdx » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:57 pm

It’s interesting how our brains reset after just a few minutes of diversion from whatever we’re focused on. And your whole perspective can change once you come back to it the next day. “Let me sleep on it” are true words of wisdom.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:23 pm

This is a great hangout with Bob Horn and he talks about taking a break every 30-45 minutes.
It's a long hangout but there are some interesting gems in there (great youtube channel, too!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c7MIyp ... hoB6WJgIkI
Its amusing that this video is over 4 hours long, which would take between 5 and 8 watching sessions !! ;)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MattCurious » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:37 pm

In the few sessions I've done with full time pro mixers, they frequently look at their phone or do something else while they're listening back so that they are prejudiced by looking at the DAW - it gives your ears priority and things jump out.

They also took breaks every half hour or so to reset.

And they worked in very broad strokes - EQ to emphasise the interesting bits of a sound and then do the rest through level. All the other techniques were an aid to EQ or level. Couldn't believe how much I'd been overworking stuff - I'll normally mix a two minute cue in about an hour now, unless it's got some fiddly level automation or something needs fixing. My mixing has gotten a lot better for doing a lot less, too.
-------------------------
matt-collinson.com