Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

ART tube compressor

Post by ernstinen » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:35 am

Hey Guys,

A few months ago I thought I'd take a chance on an Applied Research and Technology (ART) tube compressor/limiter for my mastering studio. I had read great things about it like "Makes everything I run through it sound better," and "Amazing bang for the buck." But I wasn't so sure, because ART has the reputation as being kind of the next step up from Behringer, i.e. El Cheapo! Well, the reviews were correct. For about $300 for a stereo tube compressor, this thing IS amazing! It really has professional components, like a +4/-10 switch (my board is +4), XLR inputs and outputs, real VU meters plus digital meters, an input/output level switch, and lots of adjustments for ratio, threshold, knee, you name it, its got it.

I used to rent real high-end gear for mastering, like a Massenburg parametric EQ (which goes up to 25 kHz to add some "air" on top), but this ART compressor makes the high frequencies/harmonics sound like that! Clean, glassy high end, even if you add just a tad of compression. Just going through tubes makes digital mixes sound better! Warmer, fuller, and that aforementioned sweet high end! It's the real deal, and its such a deal LOL!... The old adage of "never leaving the digital domain" is a bunch of b.s., IMHO. I say go for it, if it makes things sound better!

Ern :D

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: ART tube compressor

Post by LamarPecorino » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:13 am

Thanks Ern. I'll check it out!
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:50 am

I have no idea how they do what they do. The smallest one they make (tube mp i believe) is less expensive than the tube within it should be. Crazy. I have several art pieces. I also love the tubepac...i have a pair of those. Great stuff for the price indeed.
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:08 pm

Marcus, I don't know how they do it, either!... Another company like that is Line 6. I swore, as an old school tube amp guitar player, that I'd NEVER buy a non-tube guitar amp. But then I played through a $99 Line 6 Spider IV 15 amp. It's sure no tube amp, but for practicing guitar it's great. That amp is like a powered pedal board, basically. It gets so many sounds, 15 watts through a little 8" speaker, with a line (headphone) output, delays, reverb, chorus, everything and amp modeling, too... Of course, it sounds like a $99 solid-state amp, but all the effects and modeling are easily worth $99 by themselves (more like $500 if you bought pedals)! And add a power amp, cabinet, and speaker --- How do they do it? I'm sure it's made in China, but hey...

Ern :)

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:15 pm

Yeah, these things are awesome and they're $299 for two channels, so no reason not to have one, unless you're just plumb outta room or don't belieeeeve in rack hardware, LOL. (they also make similarly awesome, similarly-priced and spec'd tube preamps and channel strips with or without AD/DA, plus a whole bunch of other handy audio and MIDI gadgets) I don't believe I've ever met a mix that couldn't use at least a little kiss from an opto-compressor, and the ART's routing is flexible enough, you could run the two channels in series, compressing and soft-limiting, for tracking vocals, snare, kick drum or bass, and of course it's awesome across a drums, guitar or vocal bus. Definitely as close as you can get to a magic box for under $300, and there's no latency; none.

I'm a similarly hidebound traditionalist guitar geek, and Line6 products? A couple of them have won my heart, including their Variax and X3Live, which despite the name is a studly workhorse in my studio. If you like the Spyder, you definitely should check out their top of the line Helix guitar processor; it's the Axxe-FX/Kemper killer; I woulda bought one, but I had an opportunity to seize an original 1965 Super Reverb right about the time the Helix came out, so I did what I had to do. I used to be a tube freak and a vintage enthusiast, but I no longer own anything older than me, though I'd certainly make an exception for a nice Gibson Advanced Jumbo..but it doesn't make sense for a working musician to gig with gear that comes with a vault and an insurance bill.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone