Upgrading to Sierra? (Apple operating system on my iMac)

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TimWalter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Upgrading to Sierra? (Apple operating system on my iMac)

Post by TimWalter » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:13 pm

Hello all (and love the new look of the forums.. yee haa!!)

Im still stuck on Yosemite... afraid to upgrade as to what software and plugins I have that might not work.. Logic Pro shouldnt be an issue, but I might have to switch to Protools 12 from 11 (I bought both of them, but have been only using 11, at 11.3.2, but based on my research is not compatible with Sierra) and other plugins.... I just hate the tedium of checking all my software make sure its compatible and then holding my breath after upgrading only to find out months later a program I rarely use but when I do I want to work, is not compatible... just not into that whole tedium...... sigh..

But Im 2 generations behind as it is... hmmmm decisions decisions.

Any comments/input/wisdom?
Thanks all.

TIm
Tim Wolf
Nashville

"Nashville-based Romantic Rebel singer-songwriter making alternative songs for those who need a second chance"

www.thetimwolf.com

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Upgrading to Sierra? (Apple operating system on my iMac)

Post by mojobone » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:51 pm

Repeatability for callbacks is an important consideration for most commercial music, and computers more or less made that possible in the first place, with the ability to recall settings, but at the same time the vagaries of upgrade paths deny you the same ability. What can I say? Buy some stompboxes and hardware; at worst, you can take a pic of the settings or horrors! use your ears.

I don't know the specifics of your rig, but I'm considering upgrading to El Capitan.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone