Producer cuts?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Producer cuts?

Post by NaeDae » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:34 pm

So as someone with an ear for pop music and hooks, but also someone who's not a top notch producer, I've recently found out that there ARE some top notch producers out there that I have access to.

Search youtube for "[popular artist] type beat" and you'll see quickly that there are people out there producing pop instrumentals that songwriters can easily topline over.

If you go to their websites, you'll see they sell non-exclusive rights (with rights to sell a set number of copies) for around $30 (the only catch being that they anyone else can still buy the same instrumental). I'm sure they sell quite a few licenses and make a lot of their money that way, BUT that said, if I release a song using someone else's instrumental (that I have rights to use), how does the producer profit from the song's success? In other words what's the typical producer cut and how is it decided?

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Producer cuts?

Post by fuzzbox » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:39 am

Hi NaeDae,
from my limited experience, it will have to be negotiated. These things have to be in writing and AGREED on before you start the work. Then there's the copyright, especially if the the music is open-source, as it were. Who recorded first etc. But how could you get a song like that licensed? Especially if another artist in another country , for example, does the same... sooner or later (but may be never) there could be a law-suit.

As I said, in my limited experience. :mrgreen:

Food for thought ;)

Cheers
ImageImage

All You Need Is Ears - Sir George Martin
The music is not in the notes, but in the silence betweenWolfgang Amadeus Mozart

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Producer cuts?

Post by ochaim » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:52 am

beat leases usually have a license attached explaining the specifics of how you can use them and how much they are owed for sales or publishing.

they're frequently royalty free which usually only means you dont have to pay them any cuts from sales but as far as publishing goes, thats an entirely different discussion.

so if its not clear in the license, best to ask what they expect in terms of publishing split. that is, of you plan on pitching for sync licenses. if not then you're likely within the license to sell as many copies/streams as the license allows.

hope that helps.