My first post. Also, puzzled by a return for listing S161217TF.

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Mcflannagan

My first post. Also, puzzled by a return for listing S161217TF.

Post by Mcflannagan » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:24 am

Hi, Thank you all in this fine community. This is my first post. Sorry it is very long. A taxi member for just a few months, the first thing I have learned is that I still have a lot to learn, which leads me to share with you my most recent experience within Taxi. Yesterday, I got my instrumental returned for listing S161217TF. The instrumental is called Walk into the Sunset in http://www.taxi.com/pascualvazquez
My question is, concerning the screener’s critique, given that I got no explicit info about how or why this piece does not work for this pitch (rather, I get excellent marks), how can I possibly learn from my experience and in doing so improve my work? Is there much to learn also about “reading between the lines”? Very much appreciated if any of you could throw in some light into interpreting these comments, which seem too cryptic to me.

I got 8’s and 9’s in the technical fields.

The intro works. The main theme has a nice feel and works well. The addition of the hammered dulcimer (I think that's what I hear), is effective and ads a nice, almost otherworldly sound. The addition of the various instruments and the slow build in dynamics while maintaining the original feel and theme works well and keeps the listener engaged.

Style On target for this listing Folk.
Overall Comments Hey Pascual,
this is nice work in many regards - ranging from the interesting and "different" instrumentation to the musical and melodic material and the measured and restrained, yet relaxed performances.
The production also works well and keeps the song sounding "authentic" and not too clean, bright and to "reverby". The recording does not sound processed and ""photoshopped" so to speak, which is fitting.
Good work overall.
Happy Holidays!
I wish you good luck with everything.
Sound Quality Not great, but clean enough for this listing
The production sounds good overall.
The main reason(s) you were or were not forwarded for this listing is: The song is well-written and well-presented.

Thank you again and happiest holidays and new year to you all!

Pascual Vazquez

S161217TF
TRADITIONAL FOLK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Music Licensing Company with a really remarkable list of placements in TV, Film, and Commercials. They’re looking for Traditional Folk Instrumental Cues in All Tempos that you’d hear on a playlist with artists like (but not limited to), Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Doc & Merle Watson, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get in stylistic ballpark of what they need: “Mr. Tambourine Man” by Bob Dylan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYF8Y47Qzqy “Scarborough Fair” by Simon & Garfunkel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BakWVXHSug “House Of The Rising Sun Rhidalgo” by Doc & Merle Watson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfRLpNzr6uk Please submit well-performed, original (no covers!) Acoustic-based Instrumental Cues. Your submission should feature authentic sounding, organic instrumentation. It can be simple and stripped down, but should still be emotionally moving, and highly engaging. Believability is key for this pitch, so anything that sounds stiff, artificial, or obviously MIDI-Driven won’t work well for this pitch. Submissions should be approximately two-minutes long (give or take), with non-faded endings that have a natural decay/ring out. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for texture, tone, and vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (Great sounding home recordings are fine). This company offers an EXCLUSIVE 50/50 deal, and an 80/20 split in the Writer’s favor for any applicable download fees by clients from their Library! Because this is an Exclusive deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. You’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit one to three Instrumental Cues online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Saturday, December 17th, 2016. TAXI #S161217TF

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: My first post. Also, puzzled by a return for listing S161217TF.

Post by eeoo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:14 pm

Sounds like they might have hit return instead of forward, I've heard of thet happening a few times before. I would contact Taxi about it

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:05 pm

I agree, give TAXI a call as soon as you can.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:38 pm

+1 .. I think that's a forward. Call taxi or email head screener
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

Mcflannagan

Post by Mcflannagan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:07 am

Thank you for your feedback. I started to think I was having hallucinations or something. I have no idea of who to contact, can you give any recommendations? I will go try to find the head screener's email. Thanks very much again and happy Christmas!

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:37 pm

You should probably call them. And do it ASAP... monday i would think. You want to make sure your song goes out in the batch.

Russell
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

AndyAtTaxi

Post by AndyAtTaxi » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:34 am

I've replied to Pascual privately (he did email me directly per your suggestions).

We were out of the office yesterday, but all is now good and fixed - it does indeed look as if the screener selected the wrong button and that that was supposed to be a forward. It's rare but does happen; and like this one it's usually clear from the critique when that is the case. I check many of the critiques before they go out, but the occasional error does still slip through and of course we always fix these ASAP.

Thanks for your patience should a similar hiccup affect you, and thanks to all here for the good advice you give each other.

Best,

Andy

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:36 pm

AndyAtTaxi wrote:I've replied to Pascual privately (he did email me directly per your suggestions).

We were out of the office yesterday, but all is now good and fixed - it does indeed look as if the screener selected the wrong button and that that was supposed to be a forward. It's rare but does happen; and like this one it's usually clear from the critique when that is the case. I check many of the critiques before they go out, but the occasional error does still slip through and of course we always fix these ASAP.

Thanks for your patience should a similar hiccup affect you, and thanks to all here for the good advice you give each other.

Best,

Andy
Thanks for your attention to detail Andy!
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Mcflannagan

Post by Mcflannagan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:07 pm

Thank you all for your good advice, thank you Andy and Happy New Year!