Counting Chickens

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Counting Chickens

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:41 pm

Yes, I know you should never 'count your chickens before they're hatched', but I'm so happy about this that I have to thank Taxi in anticipation anyway.

I put a track together for this Taxi listing a few weeks ago....

INDUSTRIAL INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Los Angeles-based Music Library that's constantly pitching and getting cool placements in TV Shows, Films, and Commercials. They're searching for Cues in All Tempos that could be found on the same playlist as acts like, (but not limited to), Throbbing Gristle, Test Dept, Einsturzende Neubauten, etc., .............. Please submit Instrumental Cues with a mechanical, dissonant and industrial vibe. ....etc

It was a bit of departure for me, but I gave it a shot. I was most surprised to get a 'Forward' with the comment "You nailed that one". BUT......I was even more surprised to get an email within a few days from the LA library owner (well known around these parts I believe) with an offer to sign the track. I hope the signing comes off, but its further proof that Taxi gets material through to the right people, those who mere mortals like me would never get a chance to submit to under any other circumstances.

Since the offer I've also created a couple more similar tracks, in the hope that I'll be allowed to submit those directly too.

What a nice Christmas surprise. Gotta love Taxi! THANK YOU ALL! :D
Happy holiday to everyone!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT 1st of Feb: Still not one more word from the LA library who made the offer. After the excitement I'm so disappointed and disheartened. :(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by Telefunkin on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

artturner
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Counting Chickens

Post by artturner » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:53 pm

That's great news! Hope the deal is sealed soon!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks Art,
However, I have to admit that I'm getting a bit worried about this one. I've heard no further word since I was informed that the company would like to sign the track if it is still available (and of course i said yes and provided my details). That was 3-4 weeks ago. I guess the holiday season could have delayed things, and I understand that things move either like lighting or hardly at all in this business. Maybe I jinxed it by 'counting those chickens' though. :?

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Nice going, Graham! Way to take a chance and commit yourself to a new style, and to see quick success from it.

Don't be distraught over the timeline. Probably just busy and buried from the holidays on the other end. Give it another few weeks.

~~Matt

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:30 am

Thanks Matt!
Really appreciate the kind words. :D
Yes, I'm still hanging on to some hope.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Hmmmm...still no further contact after being offered a contract, despite replying promptly with the requested details.
You wait for ages for a bus to come along...... then when it does the driver waves to you but doesn't stop to pick you up. :cry:
Perhaps I jinxed this one with a prophetic title to my post.

Despite a Christmas holiday its been 6 weeks since first contact. Is this unusually long, or am I just too impatient? :?
Anyone else had this happen?

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by fuzzbox » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi Telefunkin,
congrats on this! :)

As a newbie to TAXI as you may remember, from my initial research on TAXI TV it's not uncommon to wait for further action. I've heard months and even years! I don't know for sure but that's what I have heard. There's one statement that comes to mind from watching TAXI TV and it goes something like: Write, Submit, Forget...

Or something like that... ;)

Anyway good luck.
ImageImage

All You Need Is Ears - Sir George Martin
The music is not in the notes, but in the silence betweenWolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi Fuzzbox,
I usually do 'W, S, F, R', even after forwards, but in this case the person emailed after the forward asking if they could sign the track to their library because they had TV shows waiting for this type of cue - their words. That's why I'd have expected some further contact before now, such as a contract to check and sign. I've sent a polite email reminder that they made an offer, just to check whether they've sent something but its got lost, but again there has be no reply. Oh well, as sad as I am about it, I have no option but to 'F' this one and get on with 'W, S, F, R'-ing new tracks. Its incredibly disheartening though. :(

Has anyone else had an offer to sign a track but then had nothing else but silence?

artturner
Impressive
Impressive

Post by artturner » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:39 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Has anyone else had an offer to sign a track but then had nothing else but silence?
It's happened to me twice. I wonder...were his initials the letter to the left of K and the letter to the right of D on your computer keyboard?

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:42 am

Hi Art,
I couldn't possibly say ......... but I think you know! ;)

It does seem surprising that this could be their standard operating practice, but I also realise that involvement in this industry requires shrugging off rejection and disappointment to get on with the good stuff, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised and that's what I'll do. Thanks for the reply Art, and I now know to curb my enthusiasm should I come across them again. Another lesson learned. Much appreciated.