Delay after uploading new music for listing

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Delay after uploading new music for listing

Post by Paulie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Note for the webmaster: I've noticed that there is about a five minute delay now between when you upload a song into your "My Music" page and when it becomes available to submit to a listing. Now it seems you have to wait for the hamsters to finish processing the uploaded file to get the "Play" button to appear. Once that happens you then will see a checkbox next to the newly uploaded file so you can submit to al siting. The old site used to be immediate... upload, click "done uploading", then submit, add song, pay, done. Not complaining, just giving the tech team a heads up. :)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Delay after uploading new music for listing

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:56 am

Thanks for the heads-up Paulie. I often submit late at night (early hours of the morning actually) on the last night before the submission deadline. I get away with that because of the UK time difference. But when I've worked hard on a track to get it finished I want to get the submission process done a.s.a.p. so I can sleep. I'd have been blowing steam the next time if I thought the site was down and I'd miss the deadline after all. Now I know I just have to wait (and stay awake) a few more minutes and I'll be fine. Much appreciated, as are all your posts.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:12 pm

I see what you mean now. I guess there are a few quirks to iron out with the new pages. They look great, but a few things are not quite perfect yet. I'm not grumbling, just trying to help by highlighting a few unusual things I've found.

I wanted to upload and submit some new tracks for more than one listing, here's the sequence I went through.
- Open the taxi home page
- Click 'Member Login' - that takes me to another page showing the feature artist
- Click 'Member Login' again (?)
- Type email and password
- Cant get directly to 'My Music', have to click 'Submission History' to get back to the old page, then click on 'My Music'
- Go through the usual upload procedure and click on 'Done Uploading', taking me back to my 'Profile Page'
- Click 'Submit Music' to get the new submission page and select the category
- Find the first listing to submit to, then click 'Submit to this listing'
- Select the song(s) to submit from the pop-up box showing my songs
- Realise that the newly uploaded songs are not available yet (no check box beside the titles), so make tea for 5 minutes
- Return to find that my login had timed-out logged out, so log back in again
- Find the submission page again, find the correct listing again, click 'Submit to this listing' again
- This time the songs are available (all have check boxes), so check the boxes and click 'Add to cart'
- At that point you can't see what you've added though. 'Review'ing the cart doesn't help either.
- Added another song to the cart for another listing, then reviewed cart.
- Slightly confused by seeing only that 2 songs were submitted for 1 listing and 1 song was submitted for the other listing (but no song details).
- Go through the Payment process as usual on a new page - great for the optically challenged amongst us, 'cos the text is MASSIVE :)
- Only then can I see the titles of the songs I submitted, but the text all rolls into one line that wraps when the line is full.

It was fun, although not quite as slick as the old pages yet :) I'm sure all will be well after initial teething troubles are ironed out.
Until then, it just takes a bit longer and needs a bit of patience and care. No major problems though.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi Paulie,

We didn't change anything on the backend database, only graphics, links, buttons, etc. We left the database alone so we wouldn't have multiple variables. See if the problem persists, and let us know please.

thx,
Michael

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Guys,

Can you please post which browsers you're using? We've had some issues with people using old versions of Explorer. This doesn't sound related, but I know the techs will ask me. we've even had issues of some buttons not showing up, but again, OLD versions ( I mean really old) of Explorer.

thx,
Michael

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:52 am

Hi Michael,
Never one to take the conventional route, I use Firefox (currently at version 50.1.0) on Ubuntu. Even though its not Windows I've very rarely had any issues with any websites, including all of the old pages (although the mp3 player sometimes became unavailable on 'My Music'). I'm not at all unhappy, but if you asked my suggestions for improvements I'd say ...

- login window prompted directly from the home page, rather than the featured artist page
- 'My music' available from the top banner once logged in
- Faster availability of newly uploaded songs (although a few minutes wait is not the end of the world)
- All listings (rather than just some) written in short, concise paragraphs, rather than one big paragraph
- Examples (a-la's) displayed as HTML links, just like those in the email reminders, rather than text to cut/paste
- some reassurance (maybe on the 'Review Cart' that I've submitted the correct songs for the correct listing before I pay

Quite honestly though, this is all nit-picking. Everything work, despite the minor niggles, so no complaints.
Great job with the new look, and I'm simply mentioning these things to help out, certainly not to grumble. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:07 am

Thanks Graham, and I see it as helpful and not complaining! :D

Thank you!
Michael

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:34 pm

I too would like to see a 'review cart' list of the songs I am submitting. Last year I submitted a suspense track to a hiphop listing by mistake lol. The screener was nice when giving the 'R' but must have wondered what the heck I was thinking ha
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:45 pm

hummingbird wrote:I too would like to see a 'review cart' list of the songs I am submitting. Last year I submitted a suspense track to a hiphop listing by mistake lol. The screener was nice when giving the 'R' but must have wondered what the heck I was thinking ha
:lol: :lol: That's funny! So what were the comments Vikki?
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi all,

I just want to be clear that we're not at the wish list phase yet. We're in the fix what's not working or showing up phase, so let's keep this thread limited to that for now. I've actually got a 65 page document filled with all the stuff we built for a failed attempt at 2.0 a few years ago, and there are all kinds of great things on it.

And please keep in mind that we're a music company, not twitter or facebook ;-) Music and customer service first! Some of the TAXI competitors have great looking sites, but fake listings, no feedback, no Rally, no forum, no community, no TAXI TV. The cost of re-doing the database has been pegged at $50-$100,000, so we won't be adding every great idea under the sun.

We did that with the old site: Every time somebody had a suggestion, we added it to the site and it became hard to find anything, and somewhat hard to use. The new site's mantra is "what would Steve Jobs do?" Build a new MacBook with hardly any ports on it! :lol:

ML