FUTURISTIC, TENSION-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Svenpete
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

FUTURISTIC, TENSION-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES?

Post by Svenpete » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:22 am

Here are 3 different rough ideas in this one soundcloud upload. Each about 2 minutes. Wondering if they are in the ballpark for this listing "# Y170122FT".

https://soundcloud.com/vaseven/3-futuristic-cues

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: FUTURISTIC, TENSION-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES?

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi Sven,
I have a hard time targeting listings correctly, even though I listen carefully to the examples and 'think' I understand :? So, I certainly can't claim to be an expert. But I can at least offer my comments, which you are free to ignore of course.

Perhaps the key word for this listing (in my opinion) is 'futuristic'. I guess if you were running an ad-campaign for the latest high-tech phone, car or computer chip, you wouldn't choose a soundtrack that prompted memories of an earlier decade. Obviously, none of us have sounds from the future, but that word leads me to believe that they (Taxi and the end-user) will expect current sounds and certainly not sounds that could sound dated.

I like your tracks, and I think they are well composed and constructed. Also, there are some current sounds in each track but also some 'older' ones (e.g. the filter synth early in track 2) that might rule those tracks out for this listing.

Therefore, to increase your chances for this listing maybe it would be worth replacing some of those sounds with more 'futuristic' sounds. However, they might be fantastic exactly as they are for other listings. Just my thoughts though, and intended to help. Good luck.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

artturner
Impressive
Impressive

Post by artturner » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:16 am

Yeah, it's confusing when they say futuristic and latest sounds, then give you a reference of Stranger Things which is based on 80's synths.

I like the three tracks. They might be a little energetic compared to something like Mr. Robot. Maybe listen back and forth (AB switching) the reference tracks vs your tracks to get a similar mix and feel.

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MattCurious » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:42 am

I think there's a balance to be struck between the metro and modern elements in these, which is not to say that I think I've necessarily got it right.

My initial thoughts on the first track were "Terminator" and "Blade Runner", which I don't think is where you want to go. I thought that the arpeggio that comes in later-on had a nice, knowingly retro feel to it, and was closer to the ballpark. My own two-pence-worth is that the retro elements should be mixed with more modern ones. The second track is closer, in my opinion, with the gated pad and the arpeggio that comes into the second section, and the more modern drum and bass sounds (although a lot of "modern" drum sounds seem to be based on 808 type sounds). And I thought the third track was much closer again.

One overarching thought is whether the drums might be a bit prominent for dialogue? I've had to keep reminding myself that the references are title themes, so they can get away with being a bit more intrusive.
-------------------------
matt-collinson.com

Svenpete
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Svenpete » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes, in the back of my mind, I was going for a retro 80's vibe. It seems to me that will always be the eternal music of the future. Anyway, if they don't get used for anything, that's fine by me, it was a good learning exercise. And yes, because they referenced "Stranger Things" I did get excited to try out some 80's retro stuff.

Sunset
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Sunset » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:08 am

Sven,

I'm in the same camp ( and will probably give this listing a go). Did a synth pop listing a while ago I entitled "lady of the 80's" and it was just retro,not synth pop (subtle difference).. Also did a similar listing earlier and was asked to listen to "Stranger things" again to get the feel...

Soo..

For me, these 3 don't quite fit the Futuristic,Mr Robot,Stranger things Vibe (more retro)..but listen carefully ( and I will too) to the referenced drums/percussion, and check out the composer interviews to see what gear they used and how yours can get close to it..

Good Luck!

John