contacted by music library

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: contacted by music library

Post by mrdtman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Question: when I upload the versions they are requesting do I use the original title of the song or the 'proposed title' they mentioned?

DT

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:20 am

Question: when I upload the versions they are requesting do I use the original title of the song or the 'proposed title' they mentioned?
Totally depends on the library. I'd just ask them. If it's non-exclusive, then some libraries will re-title the tracks for you. Other libraries will ask that you send them a clear title.

What this really boils down to is that you can sign non-exclusive tracks with as many non-exclusive libraries as you want, but each company has to have a different title for the same piece of music. It's the only way to avoid confusion for everyone from your PRO to the TV production company (and for your own record keeping too).

Just ask if they re-title for you, or if they will register the title you send them.

~~Matt

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:42 am

Hi Ronnie and DT,
I think I recognise this library and agree with the good advice from Matt and Russell. I often work back from the end (using the time ruler in my DAW) to see what I have within the specified time, then adjust the intro, the end, and the bit in the middle (but never the tempo) so the track makes sense. Its usually (but not always) easier than you'd expect to get something close (but just under) the times they specify. You can also play with any final ring-out times for a fine-trim if you need to.

BTW, I know it might sound obvious but I'll say it anyway - don't forget that the times apply only to the audio content, so your total track time (to allow a bit of silence at the start and end) will be a few seconds longer.

Next you'll probably be asked to enter meta data for your tracks - that can be fun, but don't worry, its not too difficult :)
Last edited by Telefunkin on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mrdtman » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Telefunkin wrote:Hi Ronnie and DT,
I think I recognise this library and agree with the good advice from Matt and Russell. I often work back from the end (using the time ruler in my DAW) to see what I have within the specified time, then adjust the intro, the end, and the bit in the middle (but never the tempo) so the track makes sense. Its usually (but not always) easier than you'd expect to get something close (but just under) the times they specify. You can also play with any final ring-out times for a fine-trim if you need to.

BTW, I know its might sound obvious but I'll say it anyway - don't forget that the times apply only to the audio content, so your total track time (to allow a bit of silence at the start and end) will be a few seconds longer.

Next you'll probably be asked to enter meta data for your tracks - that can be fun, but don't worry, its not too difficult :)
Thanks for the info! ;)

DT