What can I do to abide this review...

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

What can I do to abide this review...

Post by Tunesmith » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:14 am

Hi! I was wondering if any of you could help me understand this return/review..

I got this return (just before I was to hit the sack, no less!) with this review and it all seems so close but just not there. I thought if anything, my vocal would be mentioned, but nothing was..only thing checked was "other"

the listing:
CONTEMPORARY POP/AC BALLADS with Male, Female, or Duet Vocals are needed by a very successful Multi-Media Company/Producer that needs the perfect song for a big Animated Feature Film! They’re looking for compelling Down-to-Mid-Tempo Songs that could be found on a playlist with songs like (but not limited to) the references below: “Let It All Go” by BIRDY + RHODES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u0DGIh3wLA “Lay Me Down” by Sam Smith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaMq2nn5ac0 “A Thousand Years” by Cristina Perri: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtOvBOTyX00 Quoting The Source: “The song needs to have a Pop/AC style, nothing too Soulful or R&B.” Give them emotional, heartfelt Songs that have big, unforgettable hooks, emotionally powerful melodies, and a lyric that would lend itself to a stellar vocal performance. Lyrics themes can vary, but should focus on topics about love, heartbreak, losing someone, etc. Give them something that’s fresh, original, and relatable for an audience watching a high-end animated film. Simple, elegant, and universal lyrics will work well for this. Avoid references to specific names, dates, times, and brands. This pitch is more about having a great song that’s well structured with pro-level lyric craft, a super-strong melody, and a great big cinematic chorus than it is about having the best string samples in your demo. That said, even if you submit a relatively stripped-down version of your song (which you can), please make sure what you submit is strong enough that this producer finds himself saying, “I have got to cut that song!”

Here is the track:
https://soundcloud.com/lindacullum/wish ... have-known

Review:
Your song has an AC style and sound but not close enough to Contemporary. Bringing your sound current is key.

I was under the impression that it would be re-cut...

How can I bring my sound current to become contemporary?

I appreciate any input you have, though I know you are all busy writing/recording..

Thank you in advance,
Linda C

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: What can I do to abide this review...

Post by Len911 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:11 am

Imo the thing that really makes it sound '70's folk/country/pop, is that everything fits that time frame, primarily vocal style, and harmonies. The piano and guitar styles seem relatively timeless.

The vocal style is closer to Joan Baez and less like Adele.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What can I do to abide this review...

Post by VanderBoegh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi Linda, there are two major things that differentiate contemporary vocals from dated vocals. Keep in mind that we're all products of the era of music we grew up on, and I personally always find myself battling against my ingrained 80's music sensibilities when making "current" music. That being said - I don't want to guess at your age... that's just bad form, haha - it seems like this song is much more influenced by 70's folk than current A/C music. Here's what separates vocals nowadays:

Modern vocals utilize inventive rhythms and cadences, and don't always start a phrase on the downbeat. If you listen to the Sam Smith reference, you'll hear how his rhythms are very different. Whereas your track almost always starts a phrase on the "1" of a bar. Just changing the timing of entrances, and being a little less stiff with 1/4 and 1/8 note deliveries will help immensely.

The other thing the contemporary superstars do is sing unpredictable melodies. The days of being able to figure out a song's melody after hearing one line are long gone. It used to be - up until rather recently - that a lot of pop music was built on predictable melodies and notes, as it made it easier for an audience to sing along and identify with the tune. But those days are over... Modern music is all about doing things the listener doesn't expect. Listen to that Sam Smith example again. Would you be able to guess his next line's melody after hearing the first line? Probably not. And that's what makes it contemporary. These modern guys think way outside the box when it comes to note choices. The Sam Smith chorus is a stellar example of this too.

Hope that helps! Returns always sting, but they can be so very useful once you start to understand the reason for the return, and can learn from it and change things for your next song.

Best of luck to you on this journey,

~~Matt