How to research a good Library?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NealF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

How to research a good Library?

Post by NealF » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:15 am

Hi,

Since there are so many varieties and qualities of music libraries, what's the best way to research and find the good ones? It would be a real plus to know which ones NOT to submit to.

Thanks.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: How to research a good Library?

Post by hummingbird » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:29 pm

NealF wrote:Hi,

Since there are so many varieties and qualities of music libraries, what's the best way to research and find the good ones? It would be a real plus to know which ones NOT to submit to.

Thanks.
This is the TAXI forum, so I think the answer has to be that TAXI screens the listing parties and also the details of the potential deal are spelled out in the listing, so if you get a Forward and then an offer you already know the situation. At that point typically you might look at the library's website and credits, and determine then if it's worth taking a chance on them pitching your track(s). Once signed, you may get requests for music from the library and that's when it's really possible to build your catalogue with them, writing to the brief and submitting for consideration.

Just remember, it's really a quality and quantity thing. You can have great tracks in a library and have them never get a placement and one little silly thing you did gets in a number of shows and earns you lots of backend. The key is to create relationships and keep the flow of good music going to the libraries you are signed with. Eventually it will pay off... but expect it to take three to five years to really see your music working for you, assuming you are writing, submitting and getting accepted.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

NealF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NealF » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:54 am

Thanks.

Very helpful.

FMstereo
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by FMstereo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi Neal

Before I sign with a library, I look at their roster of artists, and if I recognise any of them as Taxi members, then I contact them and ask about their experience with the library. I think all the libraries and publishers I'm with are as a result of recommendations from co-writers and Taxi members.

Cheers

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:30 pm

Well, there's the MusicLibrary Report website you can join (for a small fee of course).

https://musiclibraryreport.com/

Thanks.

NealF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NealF » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:52 am

Thanks, guys.
Good advice. :)

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks.
Do you have a link to your music?

NealF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NealF » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:54 am

I have a lot of my music on Soundcloud, but much of it is not right for libraries. I just recently started posting some things that would work for licensing. So there's a bit of variety there.
I used to be a partner in a successful music production company. We did hundreds of commercials and music for NBC, CBS, etc.

Been out of that business for 15 years and just started to look at ways to make some extra bucks.

Here's the link:

https://soundcloud.com/nealfox1