Advice on Time Frames?

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

midwinter

Advice on Time Frames?

Post by midwinter » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi all.

I'm a very new TAXI member and I've had a few songs forwarded so far, but I'm curious about the range of time frames between forwarding and whatever happens next. I'm assuming that this part will vary pretty wildly depending on the project and its needs. For instance, I had songs forwarded in early December and mid-January. Can someone give me a ballpark on how long these decisions have taken for you?

Thanks in advance!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Advice on Time Frames?

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi,
Its worth a quick search on this forum for answers to your question, which has been, and still is, asked many times. :) From the answers I've seen I get the impression that there's a very wide range of response times. You could hear within days, weeks, months or even a few years (according to some folk). The only thing that's certain is that if your tracks are not wanted then you'll not hear anything. Meanwhile, increase your chances by writing and submitting more music! :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Hey midwinter... it's a FAQ but a-number-one you got a Forward and that, in itself, is an accomplishment. Now your track is going to be auditioned against the other forwards and perhaps music from other sources as well. No one can say when or if you will get contacted. But you are on the right track. Keep submitting, and keep the faith.

Our mantra here is... write, submit, forget, repeat... the forget part is the hardest ;)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

midwinter

Post by midwinter » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Awesome, y'all! Thanks for the responses. I actually just had two more forwards just today—that's 5 so far—and believe me, I'm neither taking them for granted nor getting my hopes up.

I actually really like the process of writing lyrics and music to spec. The hard part at first was figuring out what genres meant to the reviewers (their singer-songwriter is sometimes my pop; their Americana is my country; their country is my pop, etc.)

midwinter

Post by midwinter » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:21 pm

And as I was saying.... Two returns on Americana cues because what I thought was Americana the reviewer considered "classic folk."

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi Midwinter,
Here is my observations on time frames and forwards:

I have been a member of Taxi for about 10 years.
I have had 226 forwards during this time
On over 90% of them, I never got a response.
Some responses came a few days after a forward.... some took over a year.

But don't let this discourage you!!!!

Because on every one I did get a response from (except 2 of them).....they ended up in placements...either directly on shows or in a library.
Those few responses to forwards have led to me having over 700 tracks in various libraries and or TV shows.