I have a Q about my returned piano cue...

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

I have a Q about my returned piano cue...

Post by Tunesmith » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi fellow hit makers..I have a 2 questions, being somewhat new here..1. Do different screeners take the same listing? my submission was returned saying it was "probably overly busy for this kind of cue, does not really breathe at all until last chord. " however, listening to some that did get forwarded, I don't think mine is any busier than what I have heard...and if breathing is about space, then mine was like what I have heard except for one piece I listened too..
2. I was also told this:"Piano sound could also be updated." well ok, sure..seems what is wanted are bright piano tracks vs, deeper rich ones...so that's ok/.I can do that.. Is my piano sound off base?

Here to learn...so I can earn!

Thank you in advance for your input!

Linda C

Here is my track
https://soundcloud.com/lindacullum/love-etta/s-Ud1YU

and what the listing asked for!

Y170128SP

SHORT, UPBEAT SOLO PIANO RIFF CUES are needed by a really large media company for placements in several projects, including hit cable TV shows and online media. This rapidly growing industry giant is building its own In-House Music Library and will pay an initial buyout fee of $250 for 100% of the Composition and Master rights. On top of the per track fee, you will also keep 100% of the Writer’s share of the publishing and make applicable performance income. Please listen to the references to get an idea of the range of styles that could work for this pitch: Upbeat Piano Instrumental Music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Qn1VfziUM Happy Piano Music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j9CY3o5rR0 “Giddy Girl” by Jacques Ibert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e24olO_jN0 Please submit original, lively, Solo Piano Instrumental Cue Riffs that can be used for transitions between scenes in TV shows and web-based, digital content. Your submission should convey a fun and cheerful vibe, that’s super melodic. Your Instrumental Cue can be relatively simple and stripped-down as long as the overall mood is happy and emotionally upbeat. If you’re using a Virtual Piano, please make sure your patches sound like an authentic Piano! Anything that sounds synthetic, stiff, or MIDI-based won’t work for this pitch. All submissions should be about 30 seconds in length, with Non-Faded endings. Please make sure to let your last note ring out at the end. Do NOT copy or rip off the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). If you’re using Piano samples (instead of a real piano), please make sure they sound like the real thing! Because this Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, the music you submit for this pitch CANNOT be signed with any other publishers or catalogs. This Exclusive, In-House Library will pay an initial buyout fee of $250 for 100% of the Composition and Master rights. On top of the per track fee, you will also keep 100% of the Writer’s share of the publishing and make applicable performance income. This Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the music you submit for this pitch CANNOT be signed with any other publishers or catalogs. Please submit 1-3 Instrumental Cues Online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a yes/no basis and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Saturday, January 28th, 2017. TAXI #Y170128SP

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: I have a Q about my returned piano cue...

Post by jonnybutter » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:02 am

Hey Linda

Yes, I believe more than one screener can work on one listing's submissions. Don't know if that happened in this case, but I believe it can happen.

What I hear in your cue is that there is no good place to edit it - I think that's what the screener might have meant. I also hear some timing issues, but I think the main thing is that the cue seems indivisible. The piano itself sounded OK to me. Sounds like a real piano.

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi JohnnyB,

Thanks for your input! Yes timing is faintly off...I have a Yamaha acoustic Grand!

Best,

Linda C

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:57 pm

I envy you the Yamaha. I have a Kawai baby grand, but it sounds pretty....er, 'strident' is the nice word. It also refuses stay in tune in the weird climate we live in, but that ain't the piano's fault. I am thankful to have any piano, but a Yamaha would be nice!

cheers

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:31 am

The Yamaha was my Dad;s..my aisters and I own it now, but they don't play and so it is in my house. I am very familiar with Kawai pianos and Young Chang as well. My dad had a music store and worked with him in it for a few years selling pianos, etc. My grandfather was a piano tuner/restorer. He always had 2 grands in the house...

All a grand time!

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:54 am

Your dad's music store (and grandfather's house) sound like heaven to me!

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:05 pm

The tempo seemed brisk, more pop/rockish.

I think maybe it was more about context than sound. It sounded good to me. The thing about a real piano is that there are probably many artful ways to record it, and how much room ambiance, etc.

I've never recorded a real piano, in fact I usually skip over the topic because it seems like maybe there are too many options,lol!
http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/piano-recording

:idea: I think having a real grand piano, knowing how to play, and a setup with various mics and diverse ways of recording, and using it as the center and focus of your compositions, might well be an advantage. There's just something about a well recorded piano, across all genres, that is visceral and euphoric.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Onaginoffegin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Onaginoffegin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:27 pm

Linda, the thing that struck me about your piece was it was very uptempo. It was very fast and kind of in-your-face.
I think if you took the same piece and changed nothing, but slowed it way down, you'd have a forward for this kind of listing.

Henry