Why Cassette Tapes Are Making A Comeback

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Why Cassette Tapes Are Making A Comeback

Post by Tunesmith » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:06 am

I couldn't read this as I don't subscribe to the WSJ, but I found this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... 3b75484d71

It talks about a band that has their music on one side and a Commodore 64 game on the other..pretty cool..

My 1st release was on cassette in 1987. They were called Cassette LPs. It was all recorded in my home studio, mastered elsewhere. It was SO much cheaper than doing vinyl then.

Linda C

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:02 am

I used to have a top-of-the-line Onkyo cassette deck. When I recorded on the best quality Maxell hi-bias tapes with Dolby C, they sounded as good or better than CDs, recording off of vinyl records on a Sony turntable with an expensive Grado cartridge... Before that, I owned a Nakamichi cassette deck, which sounded fantastic. The quality of the deck and tapes made a huge difference in the sound of the recording!

Ern 8-)

shoodBworkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by shoodBworkin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:07 am

Apologies. WSJ used to give 5 freebies before hitting you up for a subscription. I guess that policy has changed. Thanks for the Forbes link, Tunesmith!

DooWahDiddy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DooWahDiddy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:46 am

I was a TAXI member back in the '90s, and you had to roll your cassette tape up with the submission form (into what they called a "burrito"), and mail it off! Man, what a hassle. Every time I feel like griping about the $5 submission fee, I think of that and realize the time and postage I'm saving balances everything out.

jazzmanfla

Post by jazzmanfla » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:45 am

I have thousands of cassettes mostly of recordings I made off the radio etc. Are blank CD's worth anything? Or should I just throw them out? Thanks

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:54 am

DooWahDiddy wrote:I was a TAXI member back in the '90s, and you had to roll your cassette tape up with the submission form (into what they called a "burrito"), and mail it off! Man, what a hassle. Every time I feel like griping about the $5 submission fee, I think of that and realize the time and postage I'm saving balances everything out.
I was a member then too. And I bought 15 minute blank cassettes. It was a hassle..
I still have my Nakamichi!

Linda C

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:48 pm

I still own a metric ton of cassette tapes and the means to play them back, (and even some high-quality blanks, for that special occasion) but it seems to me a cassette release in this era is kinda hipster-ironic and frankly feels fake, to me. But on the other hand, if drunk people in bars will gladly pay ten bucks for one, it could earn a place on my merch table. I'd worry about how it's heard; they stopped making high-end cassette decks....I theenk it's more than fifteen years ago. They can certainly sound awesome if you have the patience and can collect the parts, but reel to reel decks are way easier to work on.

I mean, these folks buying cassettes, do they eschew auto-reverse in favor of an authentic analog experience of having to get off the couch and flip the tape over? Inquiring minds, yada, yada.

:D :D :D
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone