Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Alasdair
Impressive
Impressive

trying to get a friend to join taxi, please help

Post by Alasdair » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:05 am

hi people need your feedback on a friends track

https://soundcloud.com/danevanssongs/i-believe-demo

i am close to getting him to sign up to taxi and the thing i harp on about the most is the feedback from the taxi community to help you grow from being an amateur to a professional.

so with that in mind please have a listen to his track. its all him.. the lyrics, singing and music. be honest be concise with your feedback please.

My personal opinion although bearing in mind its not a genre i compose in is that the voice sounds a little strained, the beat seems too static and not contemporary/modern enough. the track would benefit from an instrumental solo in the middle and perhaps a few layers of instrumentation coming in and out add to the forward movement. I find the words reasonably compelling?

could you see this piece being used in an ad or the like?

really appreciate your time and support

thanks

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: trying to get a friend to join taxi, please help

Post by hummingbird » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Alasdair wrote:hi people need your feedback on a friends track

https://soundcloud.com/danevanssongs/i-believe-demo

i am close to getting him to sign up to taxi and the thing i harp on about the most is the feedback from the taxi community to help you grow from being an amateur to a professional.

so with that in mind please have a listen to his track. its all him.. the lyrics, singing and music. be honest be concise with your feedback please.

My personal opinion although bearing in mind its not a genre i compose in is that the voice sounds a little strained, the beat seems too static and not contemporary/modern enough. the track would benefit from an instrumental solo in the middle and perhaps a few layers of instrumentation coming in and out add to the forward movement. I find the words reasonably compelling?

could you see this piece being used in an ad or the like?

really appreciate your time and support

thanks
Just wanted to say, your friend doesn't need to join TAXI to get the benefit of this community. In fact, it might be good for him to join the community (forum), watch some TAXI TV, join in the conversation, and find out he's talking to people who are seriously working on providing music to the industry. I'll have a listen to the track as soon as I can, but I wanted to get that off my chest first ;)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jnmorrison
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jnmorrison » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Hey man.

Not really sure why you are trying to convince someone to do something one way or the other...(they either will or they won't)

Decent demo track for sure.
Couple of points for him...if he's asking and I'm being honest:

a) not broadcast quality in performances or samples - Specifically the drums being stiff and the same throughout, obviously a loop and they sound pretty lifeless.
Vocal performance is really rough and out of tune for much of the song; as well as a few timing/tuning issues with the guitar; and lastly the melody during the chorus is very plain and uninteresting - but that does lend to a nice lift in the bridge and a more powerful chorus...so that could go either way.
b) mix is rough (it's a demo obviously)
c) lyrics aren't really universal

It's a great start - needs a bit more refinement but could certainly find a home for the right use.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

As ML is fond of saying Taxi is the second best way to get your music into film/television or in front of A&R people.
The absolutely best way is through personal connections - and if you don't have those or live in a place that is too far from those personal connections then Taxi is the place!

Good luck to you both!
Nick

Alasdair
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Alasdair » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:04 am

thanks jnmorrison.. appreciate the feedback :D