We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

chriswattsuk
Active
Active

Production / Mix / Arrangement feedback on pop track

Post by chriswattsuk » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:02 am

Hey guys,

I have uploaded a rough cut of a track I have been working on for a week or two.

https://soundcloud.com/chris_watts_uk/with-you

I'd be really keen to get your considered opinions on production etc - is this 'pop enough' to get into that genre bracket, or do you think it lacks some key ingredients? I worry a little about not being identifiable enough with a specific genre, but many of my favourite acts span the pop/rock world, so this is what I tend to write in.

Any other feedback on general arrangement or production would be really appreciated if you have time.

I have a separate thread posted up in the Collaboration Corner topic asking if anybody would like to collaborate - especially on writing (music and/or lyrics, vocals, production).

I am open to any feedback you might have. I have lots of ambition and lots of desire to learn and get better at this craft!

Chris

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Production / Mix / Arrangement feedback on pop track

Post by waveheavy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:22 am

Hi Chris. Love the chorus.

Some suggestions - intro could use more instrumentation instead of just the synth solo, it just needs something else, maybe a riser-reverse effect build? Verse vocal volume level is too low. Chorus sounds great, would leave it alone. Synth at 1:35 could use a boost at end. The panned vocal at 1:53, I don't think the yelling works with the rest of the song; would this part fit with the synth part at 2:40? The bridge at 2:40, I'd bring up the arpeggiated synth. Final chorus part with background vocals could be just a bit bigger, maybe spread the background vocals wide more when the lead vocal comes back in. I don't think the low synth at the end works. Might consider doubling the vocal at 2:08 second chorus (record the same vocal part twice and slightly pan them apart in the center).

Those are just some suggestions based on what I hear. Nice song.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Chris, excellent!! I think the effect you used on the vocal from :42 sec to 1:00 min should be used from the beginning. The start was too dry and volume too low on the vocal imo, and I'd think you might lose listeners before it got to the rest of the song which was superb! you need to hook listeners from the start. If I listened the way I listen normally for new songs, I wouldn't have listened for :42 sec which is where the song started hooking me. That would have been ashame, because it's a really great song, kudos!!!
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:10 pm

Hey Chris! First off, you've got a GREAT voice (if that's you singing). Don't be shy to have the vocal a bit more up front, or to get right on the microphone to give the vocal a little more beef... Secondly, the chorus at about 1:00 is fantastic! I think you should somehow get to it sooner. I didn't care for the synth intro, and I listened to your song twice... Third, the fact that you don't have any "real" drums in this production is interesting. But what would it sound like with some kind of backbeat? The chorus is so good, maybe a full snare going would drive it even more. Possibly a sidestick on the softer parts?... Finally, I really like the sound and LOW lows of the bass part. But the volume is inconsistent. If you're not compressing it, you should. There are notes that are real loud, much louder than the vocal itself, which should be the most upfront part of any mix (other than maybe kick and snare).

All in all, very impressive! Keep singing --- You're really a natural!

Cheers,

Ern :)

chriswattsuk
Active
Active

Post by chriswattsuk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:06 am

Once again the Taxi community delivers massively useful feedback! Thanks so much guys. I have listened back to the track at the points identified, and taken a lot on board. Going to do some rework on this one - both arrangement and performance, having taken on board the comments you've made.

kimdr
Active
Active

Post by kimdr » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi Chris,
Great song and great voice. I agree with the above comments, and I'd have the bassline say a little more if you know what I mean. The level seems fine, but I think it may need a few more notes to add a bit of definition and drive to the song.

Sonora
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Sonora » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:32 am

Hi Chris!
Great track here, I agree with all the comments above.
The songwriting is excellent I believe but it lacks a bit of work on the mix, it could be improved 1000 times with just some work on the vocals: raise the level, let it sit a bit better on the mix, put some "glue on it". You may also want to control a bit the dynamics on some parts...
Alessandro Mastroianni
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bsharplabs[/url]