Introduction of sorts

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Introduction of sorts

Post by annayarbrough » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:52 am

edmondredd wrote:welcome onboard Anna,
hope you enjoy the ride :)
Thanks Edmond! Good to meet you!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:57 am

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I used to go to jam nights with my Fender Stratocaster on Beale street in Memphis many years ago. I don't know what it is about us Southern boys, but the Blues seem to be in our upbringing (from my mother's musical influence in my case), and I guess because of being surrounded by it. When I was a young boy, every Saturday we'd go to town and before I would go into the Ben Franklin five-and-dime store I'd stop to listen to a bluesman playing the Blues on the corner, and drop a nickle in his hat. My very own Curtis Lowe experience you might say.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:45 am

Welcome to the forums Anna, where the address stays the same no matter where you are.
We share the same taste in music, very nice artists indeed! Good luck here, there and everywhere.
Ceo of my own life

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:56 am

waveheavy wrote:Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I used to go to jam nights with my Fender Stratocaster on Beale street in Memphis many years ago. I don't know what it is about us Southern boys, but the Blues seem to be in our upbringing (from my mother's musical influence in my case), and I guess because of being surrounded by it. When I was a young boy, every Saturday we'd go to town and before I would go into the Ben Franklin five-and-dime store I'd stop to listen to a bluesman playing the Blues on the corner, and drop a nickle in his hat. My very own Curtis Lowe experience you might say.
I see you live in TN - are you still in Memphis? Was your mother a musician too?
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:56 am

Kolstad wrote:Welcome to the forums Anna, where the address stays the same no matter where you are.
We share the same taste in music, very nice artists indeed! Good luck here, there and everywhere.
Thanks! We have great taste :D
Anna Yarbrough

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:30 am

I live east of Nashville actually. I would make trips to Memphis back then. My mother played at Blues harmonica, not real good, but she tried. Kind of weird, huh? She raised us on the Blues and Jazz. She said the Glenn Miller orchestra was her Beatles.

annayarbrough wrote:
I see you live in TN - are you still in Memphis? Was your mother a musician too?

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:41 am

Welcome to the fora; guess I'll have to check out Banks, since I'm WAY familiar with your other references. :D
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 am

waveheavy wrote:Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I used to go to jam nights with my Fender Stratocaster on Beale street in Memphis many years ago. I don't know what it is about us Southern boys, but the Blues seem to be in our upbringing (from my mother's musical influence in my case), and I guess because of being surrounded by it. When I was a young boy, every Saturday we'd go to town and before I would go into the Ben Franklin five-and-dime store I'd stop to listen to a bluesman playing the Blues on the corner, and drop a nickle in his hat. My very own Curtis Lowe experience you might say.
Maybe not quite historically accurate, but we used to say, "When poke chops was a nickel, and you couldn't find a nickel".
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:14 pm

mojobone wrote:Welcome to the fora; guess I'll have to check out Banks, since I'm WAY familiar with your other references. :D
Haha! Banks is the polar opposite direction - very electronic-inspired pop (though she's a phenomenal singer, regardless). What can I say, I love bits of everything....!
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:15 pm

waveheavy wrote:I live east of Nashville actually. I would make trips to Memphis back then. My mother played at Blues harmonica, not real good, but she tried. Kind of weird, huh? She raised us on the Blues and Jazz. She said the Glenn Miller orchestra was her Beatles.

annayarbrough wrote:
I totally get the Glenn Miller thing!
Anna Yarbrough