Getting Caught Off Guard, No More Tracks To Offer

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Getting Caught Off Guard, No More Tracks To Offer

Post by waveheavy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:51 am

How many tracks of a genre should you try to have on hand before submitting to a music library? What is safe?

What I mean is, so as to not be embarrassed when they ask what else do you have in that style, and you have to say, "Well, nothing else right now, but I can generate you some more tracks pretty quick."

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Getting Caught Off Guard, No More Tracks To Offer

Post by edmondredd » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:25 am

I read somewhere (or watched, can't really remember the source) that one of the best practices is to write by batches of 10 in each genre. This way you get the hang of it, and when do you need to submit more, you have quite a good number to start with. take that with a pinch of salt, since sometimes, you could be good with say 5 cues. It all depends on the genre also: Orchestral pieces tend to take more time than say swampy cues, but having a couple of cues within the same genre (or your ability to produce a batch quickly) is probably tour best bet
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks Edmond, looks like I've got work to do.

RonKujawa
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by RonKujawa » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:03 pm

A couple libraries I work with will take one at a time. However, I think they are collecting from other composers and compiling a volume of the same genre to offer to clients. One library I work with will only take 10 or more at a time for any given genre. They are then offering that collection to their clients. The clerical work involved in making the collection available makes them want to do it this way.

If yI'm cold calling, or submitting to listings, new library, stuff like that, I like to have 3-5 tracks in a genre ready to go. If they ask for 10, I feel like I'm good shape to turn that around in a week if I have to.

And like edmondredd said, I think the more you work this way, the better and faster you get, especially in the genre you're working on.

Sonora
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Sonora » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:12 pm

This is a problem I often have actually and I'm not managing at the moment to stick to a style enough time to make 10 tracks of the same genre. I need to get better at that for sure..
Alessandro Mastroianni
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bsharplabs[/url]

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:45 am

Sonora wrote:This is a problem I often have actually and I'm not managing at the moment to stick to a style enough time to make 10 tracks of the same genre. I need to get better at that for sure..
I don't think it is a problem per se. There's not one rule fits all thing in a creative industry. It might be a general practice, or maybe a convenient way to speed up the process, but it's not a general truth by no means. Some people get bored doing the same style over and over, others like to explore, experience new instruments and then mix elements between 2 genres.. so really, I don't see it as a problem.
IMO, the most important thing is way beyond numbers and rules: it's the pleasure making music.
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

Sonora
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Sonora » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:02 am

edmondredd wrote:
Sonora wrote:This is a problem I often have actually and I'm not managing at the moment to stick to a style enough time to make 10 tracks of the same genre. I need to get better at that for sure..
I don't think it is a problem per se. There's not one rule fits all thing in a creative industry. It might be a general practice, or maybe a convenient way to speed up the process, but it's not a general truth by no means. Some people get bored doing the same style over and over, others like to explore, experience new instruments and then mix elements between 2 genres.. so really, I don't see it as a problem.
IMO, the most important thing is way beyond numbers and rules: it's the pleasure making music.
That's very encouraging, I think you wrote down exactly what it is for me: I very much like to explore as much as I can but I do sometimes have the feeling that I should specialize a bit more. Maybe it just isn't the right time to do so.
Alessandro Mastroianni
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bsharplabs[/url]

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:13 am

The answer also depends on what kind of music you do/ want to deliver. Will you go all in on being a McDonalds type of brand, who can deliver lots of tracks, quickly, in the same style, or are you looking to be a more innovative type of brand that will provide something unique or different, or divide your time between different types of projects.

If you work project by project, some projects can be to write 10 tracks in a certain style from a well defined template in a couple weeks, and others can be to deliver one score in a month, or write two songs with vocals for artists in a month. It all depends on what you are looking to do and your abilities.

Just pitch what you have, and see where it goes. Find some good reasonable people to work with, and only take requests if you are really up for it, and it suits your ambition and the way you work. There are plenty opportunities for you, if you have great music and work focused, also if you don't pitch 10 tracks at the time.
Ceo of my own life