Pricing for a custom jingle

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ehasch

Pricing for a custom jingle

Post by ehasch » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:37 am

Hi all,
I signed up to Taxi about 7 months ago, but unfortunately, haven't really done much about it due to time constraints of work and home etc. and nothing too concrete to work on.

Last night I had a conversation which made me resolve to start making time to get back and actually make music!
Today, my brother in law who does video, just asked me to make a jingle for an insurance agency he's working for and wants to get an idea of a budget. (good timing ;) )

The idea is to have a short composition that will have a signature ending (like an audio logo, is there a name for it?) for a series of promotional video clips and it will be their "instantly recognizable" sound (to be used in future as well).

I'm not sure how to look at the pricing.
There is the work time involved in making the jingle which I could give a rough estimate and charge my regular price for studio editing.
I'm wondering though, if for something that will be used on an ongoing basis, should be priced differently?
They are obviously not keen to pay royalties every time they use the audio...
(I also don't really know how that whole system works and what I have to do to get into it, copyright etc.)

It's time for me to learn the business and I would appreciate if anyone here could help me out with some pointers.

I hope this is the right place to post the above. (First time using the forum :roll: )

Thanks in advance,
Eliyahu

ComposerLA

Re: Pricing for a custom jingle

Post by ComposerLA » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:20 pm

I am interested in this also.