Reflections on style

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Reflections on style

Post by elser » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:37 am

I like to watch documentaries. And when I watch them I of course concentrate on the music supporting the program. And when I observe that, something becomes clear to me. THE PASSION of the composer for their own music. I get a feeling like they're not just creating music that is suitable for the program but they are creating music that they feel deeply about.

I have often been tempted by listings to write something Dubstep, or something Dramedy, because that's the going thing. I can listen listen to Dubstep[ or any other style and figure out the elements that make that style. But I think the thing the thing that really will make the difference is when you make something you feel about passionately. That is an element that can not be quantified. I write this post as much for my own reflection as for anyone else who might benefit for it.

Write the music you love to write.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Reflections on style

Post by hummingbird » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:34 am

elser wrote: Write the music you love to write.
amen to that :)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:38 am

I hear you, Jon.

Prepare for success, they say. If you got lucky with some tracks in a style you don't really care about, you would have to do more of that, and ending up hating what you do.
Much better to wait a bit longer and build a portfolio with stuff you at least like yourself.

There's still a truckload of music to go for, with main genres and styles as well as neighbouring genres, no matter what you do.

Recently I have discovered a few new genres, I didn't think would be me. You live and learn!
Ceo of my own life

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:27 pm

Like I said, I think this post is almost notes to myself but worth sharing. Having worked at this for quite awhile now, and having tried my hand at many different styles with some success; I've had forwards for Carribean music and EDM and Metal and other styles. And I've enjoyed studying and learning those styles and it has made me a better composer having done that. But something I've been hearing from the screeners lately and I think others have as well is, "it could be more compelling". At first I was annoyed by this but now what I think is that they hear it when you write something you feel passionately about and when you don't. And that is what makes GREAT music rather than suitable or appropriate music. I guess in order to make a living at this we will always have to compromise to some extent but for myself I have decided to focus on only those things that make me feel something deeply.