Replacing a submitted track

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Replacing a submitted track

Post by daveydad » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:47 pm

So, let's say I submit a track but then realize I don't like something about and want to replace it with a new version. Can this be done at any time before the screener listens to it?
Last edited by daveydad on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterD
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Location: Formerly Somerset/Swansea, MA ... Currently, San Jose, CA

Re: Seplacing a submitted track

Post by PeterD » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Good question, Dave!

I'd love to know too. Something tells me once you send it, that's it. Unless ... it's a forward, and the client makes contact with you. Maybe you can review the changes with them?

:D
If I log off, I may never be able to get back on ;)

Peter D'Angelo

http://www.taxi.com/peterd
https://soundcloud.com/moanakeiki

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Replacing a submitted track

Post by Casey H » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:05 pm

The answer to this has good news and bad news.

The good news is if you re-upload before the track was actually screened, the newer version will be the one screened.

The bad news is there is no way to know when the screening process actually began. It usually doesn't start until after the deadline but occasionally they've started screening even before the deadline.

So if you re-upload after submitting, you can not be sure. If it's before deadline, your chances are pretty good but no guarantees.

:D Casey

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by daveydad » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:12 pm

casey, that's kind of what i thought. thanks!

Dbazile

Post by Dbazile » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:37 pm

I had the same question. Thanks Casey.

Cheers!

josephskot

Post by josephskot » Thu May 12, 2016 5:19 am

In my experience, when I want to change something in a song, delete the old song (on My Music) first; a message will come up that you cannot delete because it's under review; if you are allowed to delete it, then do so, and upload the revised version.

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehamm123 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:38 am

I just tried and couldn't. :shock:

Ah well... Life is like that.

I emailed support just in case. ;)
Mike

===========

https://mikehammmusic.com

stevetwosheds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by stevetwosheds » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:16 am

This is something I've done a lot of in the past and found myself in the same dilemma. Never REALLY sure which one was heard. It was obviously easy in the old days - you knew what had been heard and you could even check how far the tape had been played, if at all (they usually had) by making a simple scratch across the tape "pancake" - although it was fiddly opening hundreds of cassettes, making access holes hidden under labels - but it was great to KNOW they only played 40 seconds and didn't hear the second song - or that they played everything, a good sign.

The scratch would simply disappear on rewind because it wouldn't line up the same way twice, showing the played portion. The good news is that very very few actually lied. Most were truthful. And most at least played into the second song too, typically a minute or so. So I've always admired the industry when they listened to unsolicited material for free, at their own cost, even gave the odd bit of advice. It wasn't ALL bad in the old days.

Back to the point though - It would be helpful if we knew when a track had been checked already - but probably very difficult to put this into practice when I'm sure Taxi have better things to do than accommodate people like me who can never make up their minds which version to submit.

I'm just glad it's not only me with this problem.

Steve

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:05 pm

While I have a few times re-uploaded after submission because the final wasn't quite ready yet by deadline, it's not a great habit to be in. Part of being in this industry is learning to meet deadlines. If it was for a sup or publisher directly, you wouldn't have the option of "re-uploading", at least not in most cases.

I think if Taxi let us know whether or not our track had been reviewed yet via something on the website, it could actually create problems for them with hundreds or thousands of members re-uploading over some final tweak(s) and overloading the system.

And the ability to re-upload before review may be a lucky side effect of the original website implementation, never meant to be a guaranteed feature. Down the road we really don't know if this will still be possible.

Again, yes I've taken advantage of this a few times... But I try to let deadlines be deadlines to maintain discipline.

Best,
:D Casey

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:10 pm

I recently submitted a track, and then renamed it a couple of days later, uploading a renamed mp3 as well. I put the old name in the lyric section... hope it doesn't confuse anyone but the first name did not represent the music well.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website