Screeners' Thoughts

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RobPeters

Re: Screeners' Thoughts

Post by RobPeters » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:21 am

Just from this conversation I have learned a lot. Being new I'm in information overload. It seems to me that you all answered the original suggestion perfectly. You all have already touched on some of my problem areas. I've got a long haul but I'm excited about it.
Thanks.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 am

I'll try to keep my post updated as I think of more. Just added to it. I'm not the end-all/be-all expert (my wife is, though) ;) but feel free to copy and paste into your own document. :D

Casey

RobPeters

Post by RobPeters » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:47 am

Casey H wrote:I'll try to keep my post updated as I think of more. Just added to it. I'm not the end-all/be-all expert (my wife is, though) ;) but feel free to copy and paste into your own document. :D

Casey
This all is a big help. It's like a getting started list. Pitfalls to immediately look out for from day one. Hummingbird's blog is about to be read as well.
Thanks again folks

Lipskimusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Lipskimusic » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:49 am

Casey H wrote:Hey Matt et al
Just to add to what Vikki said, there is never anything wrong with asking for help and information. :D

I think everything is a learning process that takes TIME and practice. Keep at it, keep doing, keep growing better.

Off the top of my head, from being a long time member and attending many Road Rallies, some of my thoughts on the biggest mistakes which will repeat what's already been said. ("YOU" below is not YOU, personally)...

(1) Not reading the listing VERY carefully and targeting based on the detail provided. Taxi listings usually are narrow targeted and shotgunning a bunch of stuff that you HOPE will stick rarely works. New members will even send in tracks that are in totally different styles and genres from what listings asked for.

(2) Not doing TRULY objective A/B compares between your track(s) and the reference tracks in the listing. The reference tracks are guides for everything including melody, lyrics, arrangement, production style, etc. If a listing asks for contemporary songs a la certain artists about trains and you send in a great song about trains that sounds like a 70's band, it won't cut it.

(3) Poor, non-broadcast quality productions, especially for Film/TV uses. In Film/TV, production is so critical because they use your recordings "as is". This one of the toughest ones for new members if they just started home recording because it does take quite a bit of time (months, maybe years) to get really good at this. Production quality is also important in many non-Film/TV listings because even though it's about the SONG, you are competing with thousands of extremely well made demos.

(4) Having dated music. As a 62 year old, I struggle with this all the time, BTW. Sometimes a new member will be a kick ass musician but their musical taste and focus is 60s, 70s, 80s, etc. You HAVE to listen to contemporary music and learn all aspects of what's different about it than the music of decades gone by. If you refuse to listen to anything but classic rock (which I DO love BTW), you will limit yourself greatly. Collaboration can help here! I collab with younger, more modern music-oriented folks all the time to de-Beatle ;) my songs.

(5) As Michael mentioned, for Film/TV, lyrics have to be universal, and this is a different mindset than writing for your own CD or other artists. "Universal" means avoid specific details that would conflict with Film/TV scenes such as names, places, etc. You can't sing about Sally who lived on 33rd St. in New York City, wore a blue sweater, and drove a red sports car. The focus is more on emotion, less on specific details. Yes, it is a fine line at times, no doubt. Robin's book on Film/TV songwriting is excellent on this.

(6) Back to the "dated" thing. The worst counter argument against a return or rejection is (for example) "But Foghat had a HUGE hit with that concept in 1981"... No one cares now. The one exception to a song being too "dated" is if it is truly authentic from top to bottom (music, lyrics, production) for a given era such as the 60's or 70's (or any era/decade!). Authentic "period pieces" are definitely used. Sometimes a scene in a show or movie takes place in 1966 and they want the music coming out of a jukebox or radio, played by a band in a scene, in the background, etc. so sound just like one from that time. I have a collection of authentic 60's songs (many with Taxi collaborators) in a great Taxi-friendly music library. The key is making your song consistent to an era. Either contemporary-ize it or go for a period piece but a mish-mosh rarely works.

I'll probably think of more and add to the list. Very helpful things you can start doing right away are:
(A) Post your songs in the P2P section of the forum for feedback before you submit.
(B) Attend the Road Rally! Tons of classes and presentations on how to get more forwards, what works for Film/TV, production, song critiques by pros, etc.
(C) Listen to tracks posted on this forum that were forwarded for specific listings.
(D) Books by Robin Frederick!! If you write cues, books by Dean Krippaehne!!
(E) Collaborate!

That's all for now. HTH!
:D Casey

Hi Casey!

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time and putting this together. This is extremely helpful!!!

BTW - I liked Mike's 'golf' analogy. I always think of it like cooking. In the beginning you need recipes and most of the stuff you cook does not really taste good (I have been there myself) and after a while you're just cooking every day, you know your equipment and where to get the best ingredients and whether that soup needs a bit more salt or whether it's just right!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Matt

RobPeters

Post by RobPeters » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Thank you all again for listing all that you have. You kind of talked me down from proverbial ledge.

TimWalter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TimWalter » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:04 pm

Good thread.
Tim
Tim Wolf
Nashville

"Nashville-based Romantic Rebel singer-songwriter making alternative songs for those who need a second chance"

www.thetimwolf.com

Danny
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Danny » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:51 am

Great ideas and suggestions. Since the thread is about "Screeners thoughts", we have to take in mind that each screener is a person with individual tastes and musical experiences. While I agree that many of my returns have been due to not quite matching the listing, I have also had one screener not like a "dated" synth patch while another screener loves the same song. A different screener may state, "The opening piano sounds a little harsh", while that track has already been signed to a high end libary and placed on TV.

The thread is right on about commom mistakes but opinion is a huge factor.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:59 am

Danny wrote:Great ideas and suggestions. Since the thread is about "Screeners thoughts", we have to take in mind that each screener is a person with individual tastes and musical experiences. While I agree that many of my returns have been due to not quite matching the listing, I have also had one screener not like a "dated" synth patch while another screener loves the same song. A different screener may state, "The opening piano sounds a little harsh", while that track has already been signed to a high end libary and placed on TV.

The thread is right on about commom mistakes but opinion is a huge factor.
You can never eliminate the human factor whether it's with screeners or A&R folks. As with many people, I've had one solid library turn down a track for this or that reason (or none stated) and then got it signed with another good library and saw it placed on TV.

All you can do is maximize your odds by giving it your best shot, avoiding as many obvious pitfalls as possible. :D

Best,
Casey