Scripps profits go up yet no backend for composers.

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JTlian

Re: Scripps profits go up yet no backend for composers.

Post by JTlian » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:32 pm

kclements wrote:I don't believe it is part of their (Scripps) business model to register with PRO's and do backend royalties. And I doubt (at least how I understand it) that they ever will.

I went to a panel with a Scripps representative and he was genuinely surprised that composers were not sharing in the blanket fee that Scripps is giving to the libraries. So, perhaps it is up to us to make sure if a library is doing business with Scripps, they we get a part of the blanket fee. We need to take an active role in talking with our libraries and expressing our thoughts - and not just make Scripps out to be the automatic bad guy. Don't forget that the libraries are making money from Scipps, many are simply not sharing it with us. You can argue either side of this one, I know. And I can see it from both sides.

I have contacted one of my libraries that does a lot of work with Scripps about sharing the blanket fees - to no avail. They are not planning on doing that at this point. And I am not planning on sending them any more music until they change their position.

Perhaps if more composers would not allow their music to be used without sharing the fee, the libraries would change their position.

Cheers
kc
Hi Folks, JT Newbie here. I just read on "http://musiclibraryreport.com/royalties ... royalties/" that Scripps Royalties (to BMI Member not Ascap) were supposed to begin paying in June of 2011???