Scripps profits go up yet no backend for composers.

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Scripps profits go up yet no backend for composers.

Post by guscave » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:35 am

The latest Wall Street report shows how well some of Scripps Networks shows are doing, yet after several years of talks the network still hasn't come to an agreement with the PRO's to pay composers and publishers backend royalties:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... mbers.html

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Scripps profits go up yet no backend for composers.

Post by kclements » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:58 am

I don't believe it is part of their (Scripps) business model to register with PRO's and do backend royalties. And I doubt (at least how I understand it) that they ever will.

I went to a panel with a Scripps representative and he was genuinely surprised that composers were not sharing in the blanket fee that Scripps is giving to the libraries. So, perhaps it is up to us to make sure if a library is doing business with Scripps, they we get a part of the blanket fee. We need to take an active role in talking with our libraries and expressing our thoughts - and not just make Scripps out to be the automatic bad guy. Don't forget that the libraries are making money from Scipps, many are simply not sharing it with us. You can argue either side of this one, I know. And I can see it from both sides.

I have contacted one of my libraries that does a lot of work with Scripps about sharing the blanket fees - to no avail. They are not planning on doing that at this point. And I am not planning on sending them any more music until they change their position.

Perhaps if more composers would not allow their music to be used without sharing the fee, the libraries would change their position.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:12 am

KC, I totally agree. I don't submit music to listings that request music for shows that are on Scripps. The problem is there are some libraries that place music on other networks as well as Scrips and don't always let you know where you're music is ending up.

I'm also concerned that other networks might decide that Scripp's strategy is something they might want to dive into as well.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:02 am

guscave wrote: I'm also concerned that other networks might decide that Scripp's strategy is something they might want to dive into as well.
Well IMO some networks are already covering all the angles anyways.

When a network is building their own library of music, guess who the publisher is? The Network...

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:09 am

guscave wrote:...The problem is there are some libraries that place music on other networks as well as Scrips and don't always let you know where you're music is ending up.
I understand this. The way I think of it, if I hear a library is providing some of my music to Scripps (maybe you see it on Tunesat, or you get a brief from the library with the show/network they are pitching), I call and ask about sharing the blanket fee. If they say no (which has happened) I don't send anymore music their way. That doesn't stop them from using the stuff they already have, but they won't get anything new from me. If every composer in their roster did this, they wouldn't get any new music, and they might rethink their position. I know it's a LONG shot that every composer would do this, but that is what it will take.

This is why it is so important to be diversified - and (in my opinion) keep a tight lid on your compositions and know where they are going and who they are being pitched to.
I'm also concerned that other networks might decide that Scripp's strategy is something they might want to dive into as well.
Sure, that might happen. But again, if enough composers decide to not supply music with these kinds of deals (checking the contract before you sign), they may change their mind.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:12 am

But again, if enough composers decide to not supply music with these kinds of deals (checking the contract before you sign), they may change their mind.
Which for established composers, this makes sense. And for newbies who are "desperate" to get placements, they might not be concerned or savvy about this - but those that do continue to send their music are driving the value of Production music in general...down.

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:08 pm

andygabrys wrote:
But again, if enough composers decide to not supply music with these kinds of deals (checking the contract before you sign), they may change their mind.
Which for established composers, this makes sense. And for newbies who are "desperate" to get placements, they might not be concerned or savvy about this - but those that do continue to send their music are driving the value of Production music in general...down.
Agreed. And I think you would agree, Andy, that it really makes sense for all composers. Composers also contribute to driving the value down by not educating ourselves and being unaware. We all need to stop playing the short game (I got an offer and I will sign any contract because I so want a deal), to playing the long game (I want a deal, but there is only so far I will go to get it. And I am going to learn some basics before signing, and know what to ask).

Not that I am perfect, by any means. And I certainly don't have all (any) the answers. And I have signed some not so great deals. But take the time to learn about what you are signing and know why you are doing it. "Because I want a deal" is never a good enough answer, at least on it's own.

Someone wise once said (Chuck Schlacter) It's a Marathon, not a Sprint

kc
kayle clements

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:16 am

We all need to stop playing the short game (I got an offer and I will sign any contract because I so want a deal), to playing the long game (I want a deal, but there is only so far I will go to get it. And I am going to learn some basics before signing, and know what to ask).
Agree! It's ridiculous that we work on creating a piece of music where everyone except the creator makes money. :( A "deal" doesn't mean anything if it ain't providing you some type of income. The idea that you will get more "paying" work from a library if you provide them with free stuff now, doesn't fly anymore. There are no guarantees in this business.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:09 pm

I can't blame Scripps for this. They do pay to use the music. It is the music libraries who cut out the composer when a blanket license is purchased by Scripps.

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:21 am

DesireInspires wrote:I can't blame Scripps for this. They do pay to use the music. It is the music libraries who cut out the composer when a blanket license is purchased by Scripps.
Yes and No. Most networks pay for blanket licenses all the time AND pay performance royalties. Scripps has simply managed to get around it. I did read somewhere last year that Scripps was working with BMI to settle the issue but I haven't heard anything else lately.