SHORT, UPBEAT SOLO PIANO RIFF CUES

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: SHORT, UPBEAT SOLO PIANO RIFF CUES

Post by jonnybutter » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:47 pm

There was a side note from TAXI in one of the recent listings for this company saying that the comapny are liking what they're getting from Taxi members but their hands are full organizing a big new library (understandable), and that we should be patient. I can hang with that. Might not submit to this listing again, but others. Pretty big task logistically to put together a big library.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:45 pm

Here's the deal. This IS for a really large media company, and yes they are in building mode, which means patience is key. They asked us to run this again because they "are going to need a ton of this stuff." We were told right before Christmas that as they are going through all the music they've been getting from TAXI, they are "super impressed."

Just my opinion: I think that two or three years from now that the people who got in early, and got a lot of stuff IN this library are going to end up on lots of cue sheets. We have also been told that they will likely not act like other libraries who develop relationships with writers and go back to the same wells over and over because they won't have the time or man/woman power. They are a media company with a library, not a library being used by a media company.

My take on this (and confirmed to some degree) is that they will keep running listings when they need new stuff, and not sending briefs to composers in their catalog. The reason? They don't want to have to hire a staff of people to deal with all the intake and filtering, so much as just having a large catalog of instrumentals for their producers and editors to use.

I have also been told that might differ a bit for songs from artists: When they hear an artist they love, they may reach out and ask if there's a full album of material.

My opinion on short piano riffs (and instrumental music in general) is that they're not going to sign 15 in each genre and be done (like many libraries would). They've got too many shows and too many episodes to use repeaters. I'd guess that they'll ultimately sign and use hundreds of tracks in some genres, over time. Send different stuff each time they run repeat listings like this, and be patient. Invest for the long term, not the instant gratification.

And I THINK I remember being told that they might license music from their catalog outside of their own shows. My guess on that would be some stuff would be used exclusively on their shows if that happens so they don't smear or weaken their sonic brand/style.

I think this in-house scenario is going to become even more common, and the bigger the company, and the greater number of shows they have, the better it will be for our members. Remember Oprah? The TAXI members who got in early made significant money over several years. And they weren't getting paid nearly as much up front!

IMHO,
Michael

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks Michael.

FredrikPark
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by FredrikPark » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Thanks for the informative thread. I might consider not submitting for the new listing now.
Wishing you success with the past one though, eventually!
Composer, Musician & Music Producer for Media & Music Projects
https://www.taxi.com/fredrik-park
https://soundcloud.com/fredrik-park
http://fredrikpark.com
https://www.facebook.com/fredrik.parkmusic (personal page for chat PMs)