success despite taxi

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: success despite taxi

Post by edteja » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:30 am

I must kind of be where Dave was a while ago. I joined Taxi because I had no idea of the merits of the music I was doing, beyond "I like it, my friends like it and it goes over well at gigs." None of which means much other than my friends are nice. In the past six months that I've been with Taxi, if I were to measure by my submission/forward ration I would be searching for where Ern hid his three bullets. I've never seen so many ways to get rejected! But I am changing what I do and how I do a lot of things because of critiques, and the comments, suggestions and outright help of many Taxi forum members. Taxi won't define my music, but it will help me learn what I need to do to get the attention of the music industry. It is definitely a process, and I don't know of another place I could get this quality of help at this price. Of course this says nothing about the original post, except that I agree with Dave that for some of us Taxi is more than a tip sheet or a foot in the door.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:22 pm

Quote:the main thread of this post was hopefully to be about people posting stories like that... trax that have had success despite being not-forwaded by taxi, (to illustrate other options), not to attack or defend taxi. Hmmm, I think if you start a thread entitled success despite in the "Taxi Success Stories" section it pretty much will come aross as an attack...if you wanted stories about what people have achieved outside of Taxi, IMHO you would have had better success posting in a different section and under a different title. And if you re-read your original post...I think it's hard not to view that as an attack...Quote:i well understand that it's a marathon, not a sprint (....) my own answer is nope, but it's only been 6 mos Well if you do understand that it's a marathon and not a sprint, you certainly wouldn't have expected to come out ahead after just half a year, right?

neuphoria
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by neuphoria » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:47 am

well, under taxi boards > success stories there are only two options: forwards, or taxi success stories. as the topic was about not being forwarded (but still being a success story), the most obvious place seemed to be here.maybe "success stories with songs that have not been forwarded by taxi" would've been a better title for the thread, but doesn't seem as punchy somehow. gotta get to the hook quick...re-read the original post: the first line is a statement, the second a question, and the third an opinion on the quality of forwards. "less-than-stellar" seems to me to be a very mild statement, but appropriate re: the take-it-or-leave-it-one dollar master/synch deal (despite the 'negotiable' phrase taxi used in the listing. yes, yes, it could be the production's wording not taxi's). and as regards the comment "Well if you do understand that it's a marathon and not a sprint, you certainly wouldn't have expected to come out ahead after just half a year, right?" kinda seems like...a bit of an attack (albeit a mild one.)

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:48 am

Quote:and as regards the comment "Well if you do understand that it's a marathon and not a sprint, you certainly wouldn't have expected to come out ahead after just half a year, right?" kinda seems like...a bit of an attack (albeit a mild one.)Exactly! The reason it comes across as a little bit of an attack is because of its tone, and the way I juxtapose the two quotes from your post. Even though the statement itself, that it's unrealistic to expect to turn a profit from any music business related investment within half a year of said investment, is one few people would dispute.By the same token, because of their tone, your original and subsequent posts come across as more of attacks on Taxi and a questioning of its validity and its screeners competence...rather than curiosity about other people's success outside of Taxi and with songs rejected by Taxi.At least that's how the post(s) hit me, and judging from the responses you're getting I'm not alone.

neuphoria
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by neuphoria » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:29 am

sorry, didn't know it was so bad to question the validity of things (whether it be the war in iraq, boob jobs, st. john's wort, the benefits/return ratio of taxi, the competence of president Bush or the competence of the screeners of taxi.) b.t.w., once the info re: the screeners' background was presented, it was never questioned again (and was only questioned in in the first place in relation to multiple past experiences outside of taxi).i do find it a little strange though that the argument against the (perceived) attack was itself an (intentional) attack.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:53 am

Quote:i do find it a little strange though that the argument against the (perceived) attack was itself an (intentional) attack.What's strange about that? If you use a certain kind of tone in your posts, shouldn't you expect others to respond in kind?Having said that, my first response to you was about as far away from an attack as it gets.

neuphoria
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by neuphoria » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:34 pm

seems a little like a priest admonishing not to steal... and then pilfering a few coins from the offering for himself.and i wasn't talking about your first post... i was talking about your 10:47 post.... which is close to an attack as you can get... as you said yourself: "Exactly!"in any case, this is unproductive for everybody at this point, so i won't be posting anymore.

frankmv
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by frankmv » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:18 pm

Great posts! I too fell for the hype...I sent in some tunes (2) and forwarded them for anything that remotely "smelled" like a fit. After about 3 months and about $50 in submission fees...my songs were forwarded, and the screeners gave them VERY good reviews. I have to admit, I've only been at this since the start of this year (actually, I've been composing for 35 years), so I shouldn't complain. As far as success outside of TAXI, one of my tunes was featured as a "Track Of The Day" at a well-known music mag. I've also received favorable reviews on BroadJam and MusicFreedom, as well as MySpace. That said...I haven't yet made a dime...not a good ROI I guess. But like your posts say...Be Patient! It's like buying a house...if it weren't worth it, it wouldn't be so damned difficult.