Taxi Online Player quality

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

marcc

Taxi Online Player quality

Post by marcc » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:04 am

I've noticed when I upload music to Taxi, listening through Taxi's online music player doesn't sound as good as my original mp3 file. It's like listening to a cassette tape made from a CD, as opposed to the CD itself. The effect is more noticeable with some files than with others.

Has anyone else noticed this?

When you upload a file to Taxi, do Taxi's computers make a 'smaller' (more compressed) version of the file for listening through their player?

When the actual screeners are listening, are they using the online player?

What bit rate are people using for their Taxi submissions?

I love Taxi, and I mean no disrespect by any of these questions. I'm just trying to make my submissions sound their best!

cheers,
marc

Joseph
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Taxi Online Player quality

Post by Joseph » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:40 pm

I'm pretty sure I heard that the screeners hear the original MP3. I've definitely noticed the quality difference too.

-Joseph

marcc

Post by marcc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:25 am

I may have found a clue to this. I tried to play one of my Taxi submissions on my phone and realized that the Taxi online player uses Flash to play audio, as opposed to just playing the mp3 file. Presumably the player was designed pre-HTML5. So it seems very likely that there is indeed a fidelity drop when using the Taxi online player. Hopefully screeners are listening to the original MP3 files.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Taxi online player uses Flash to play audio,
The funny thing is, that is why I finally upgraded my os to linux from xp. My browser quit supporting flash, however when I went to linux, similar problems without a complex work around, so I can't listen if someone links their taxi hosting. :cry:

It seems that flash is on the way out.

Maybe that is on the list of upgrades after the forum upgrade??

I was thinking that maybe just syncing with something like soundcloud might be better as I noticed another site had just done, but now the site says you can sync with spotify, maybe they thought since spotify was in talks to purchase soundcloud, but then there are news stories recently where spotify has backed out of buying soundcloud. And before that there were stories that soundcloud may not survive unless it finds a buyer. :( So maybe not such a good idea after all. :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music