Rally jealousy

From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

simonrushby
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Rally jealousy

Post by simonrushby » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Ive just been spending some idle minutes looking through posts about the most recent rally. As a Taxi member for the last few years I of course get all the stuff from Michael about how great the rally is, and I totally believe it! There's no doubt in my mind that the rally is THE best thing about being a taxi member, so an increasing amount of jealousy is building up...!

Every year I try to think of some way that I could attend, but it's out of the question because I have a teaching job which pays the mortgage and would not allow me to have the time off to undertake the trip from London to LA. The flight would be long and expensive but even that would be do-able if only I could get the time off. BUT teachers get long vacations already, so asking is out of the question.

Anyone else feel this way? Anyone ever thought of having a rally on this side of the pond? There seems to be a lot of posts from taxi members in Europe now.

Just wanted to put it out there...I would so love to go to next years rally but unless I change jobs it looks pretty unlikely!

Big love to everyone from wet, cold London

Simon

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Rally jealousy

Post by cardell » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:32 pm

simonrushby wrote:Anyone else feel this way? Anyone ever thought of having a rally on this side of the pond? There seems to be a lot of posts from taxi members in Europe now.
I've been a Taxi member for about 10 years but I've never made it to a rally. I'd love to one day.

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaAnderson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:08 am

Amanda & I can sympathise Simon.

We are planning to attend the LA rally next year (which will be at the end of our first full year as TAXI members) - it will cost us every penny we have probably - but if there was a British/European TAXI Rally it would be brilliant.

Although, a lot of folks & experts that attend, and industry professionals that make it worth networking while there, probably would not get over to the Euro one..... which would mean that we'd meet Euro industry professionals mostly (maybe I'm making a totally wrong assumption here). And seeing that most of the listing opportunities seem to come from the States, it could be defeating the object somewhat.

Actually what would be perfect would be that there were 2 rallies - one over here (EU/UK/Ireland) and another in the USA - and we could attend both of them !! And then of course there would need to be another in Australia for that area, just to keep things fair....

Anyone live in Antarctica ? :D
Tony Anderson | Taxi | YouTube | FB | Twitter |

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mikeymike2000 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:35 am

Hi Simon,

I don't know you at all so please, if I am too direct, don't take it the wrong way.

It seems as though the only thing keeping you from the rally is time off. I totally get that if you have so much time as a teacher you would not even want to ask and you may feel obligated to your students but I have to ask you this: did you ever consider asking for the time? (You could also give a substitute teacher a few days to gain valuable experience in a real class setting)

Realistically you would prob want to make a full week of it but the rally itself is Fri, Sat, Sun. Yeah, that is one damn long plane ride for three days but just ask for the week, the worst that happens is they say no. If by chance music is your subject then you can totally sell that to the dean or whomever by saying you will bring back cutting edge information about the music biz. ;) - heck, maybe they even pick up the airfare....

It really does have a huge impact on you when you are there in person with about 2,000 others from around the world. The energy in the place is electric. It is completely overwhelming in all the best ways.

So, don't let the idea of not wanting to ask for something be the ONLY thing that stands between something you want to experience and eternal wonder of just how awesome is it.

simonrushby
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by simonrushby » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:26 pm

Thank you all, and wow, mike, thank you for making me think. Maybe just maybe. It is definitely an ambition of mine to get to LA for the rally. I won't give up on it! I really appreciate you taking the time to put across such a compelling argument. It's all about reasons WHY, rather than reasons why not, so I'll get thinking about how I might be able to make it happen.

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi Simon -

My wife is a teacher as well. She has found that if she gives enough notice there usually isn't a problem getting the time off. Of course, it may not be that simple for you. But as Mike said, it is at least worth a try. The worse they can say is, no, but thanks for asking.

Hoping to see you at the Rally.

kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

Silje
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Silje » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:58 pm

Simon,

I attended my first rally last November. I flew in from Norway, and I only had 3 days off - thursday, friday and monday. My budget was very tight, I bought bread and jam in a supermarked and had breakfast in my room to cut costs, and I hardly left the hotel while I was there.

I went back to work tuesday in a very confused state after travelling 18 hrs the day before. But it was worth it. I am now collaborating with several people that I met at the rally, and have a much better understanding of the music business.

Actually, It was so worth it that I already got my funding together for next year. I applied for a composers-travel-scholarship and was lucky enough to get it, but even if it there's no such thing for you to apply to, you should be able to do the whole thing for 800 pounds. Save 24 pounds a week, and I'll buy you coffee for your entire rally :) See that's a good deal!

-Silje

simonrushby
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by simonrushby » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:02 am

Hey Silje

Sweet! Thank you so much for your support and for letting me know how it went for you. Maybe I'll be able to make it out

SImon :-)

Silje
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Silje » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:11 am

:)