Are these normally Dispatch ?

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Are these normally Dispatch ?

Post by AmandaAnderson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:28 pm

We have been seeing a steady increase in 48 hour, 24 hour and less, turnaround listings in the regular Taxi membership, in the last week and especially the last couple of days.

Shouldn't these be dispatch listings ?

We were considering signing up for dispatch, to gain more experience and more feedback etc (as well as obviously more opportunities with maybe less competition - assumedly more experienced competition, as who else would spend more money ?). But if the listings (or at least some of them) are going to appear to all regular members anyway, what would be the point in paying the extra to join?

I was going to email Michael on this - but maybe it makes sense to ask here first :D

Thanks
Amanda & Tony
Tony Anderson | Taxi | YouTube | FB | Twitter |

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Are these normally Dispatch ?

Post by kclements » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:10 am

If you call Taxi, you can ask to be placed on the Dispatch email list without additional cost. That way you can see if Dispatch makes sense for you before committing.

I don't know about the latest listings - they do seem to fall in the dispatch area. But it's possible the lister wants to reach a broader audience. I'm not sure how many members are also dispatch members, and I don't know how running a listing works. Maybe they are just wanting more responses?

cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaAnderson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:53 am

Maybe yes, I can see your point... thank you very much kc :)

But I think if I'd paid $150 to be allowed to pitch for extra special (fast turnaround etc) listings, then I'd be pretty miffed if the same listings, and/or similar, were also being offered to the main Taxi membership who hadn't paid the extra to be included, at the same time as I was seeing them :?

Can anyone let us know (maybe someone who is a Dispatch member) if these few listings with less than 24 hour turnaround, and a few of the other recent 48 hour ones, had previously been offered to the Dispatch members ? And if this happens very often ? (I don't mind discussing it via PM if preferred)

I'm not complaining, please don't anyone misunderstand. I'm simply trying to work out how the system is working, and whether or not it's worth our while to pay to join Dispatch, or if we'll get near enough the same opportunities as a regular Taxi member.

We still want to join Dispatch at the moment, but just need to check that those listings really aren't being offered to everyone straight away, not just when there isn't anything viable via Dispatch.

Sláinte,
Amanda & Tony

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaAnderson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:00 am

kclements wrote:If you call Taxi, you can ask to be placed on the Dispatch email list without additional cost. That way you can see if Dispatch makes sense for you before committing.
Thanks also for this :) I have emailed them to ask to be placed on the list. I would have phoned, and still might, but thought I'd save a lot of pennies on calls if I asked for clarity here first (trans Atlantic calls saved for important stuff).

Just a thought, but I could also extend our Skype European coverage subscription to cover the USA too - then any calls would cost almost nothing monthly. Would make sense long term. (I don't always talk to myself ;) )

Amanda

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:38 am

If the listings you are referring to are the ones looking for songs in the styles "Pat Benetar" "Suspicious" etc, I bet the reason is that "Dispatch" listings are focused on what can be created brand-new real quick. Whereas these listings are looking for fully produced, professionally performed and complete songs with an "artist" feel. And they are just hoping someone on the mailing list has something like that in their back pocket.

I do see the points you bring up, though.
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaAnderson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:55 am

If the listings you are referring to are the ones looking for songs in the styles "Pat Benetar" "Suspicious" etc, I bet the reason is that "Dispatch" listings are focused on what can be created brand-new real quick. Whereas these listings are looking for fully produced, professionally performed and complete songs with an "artist" feel. And they are just hoping someone on the mailing list has something like that in their back pocket.
Yes, those are the ones I was referring to, and what you say about the difference does make sense... thanks :)

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:57 am

TonyAnderson wrote: But I think if I'd paid $150 to be allowed to pitch for extra special (fast turnaround etc) listings, then I'd be pretty miffed if the same listings, and/or similar, were also being offered to the main Taxi membership who hadn't paid the extra to be included, at the same time as I was seeing them :?
I don't know for sure, as I am not a Dispatch member. But I do get the emails, and I haven't seen listings go to both at the same time. My very educated guess is that Taxi would not run the same listings for dispatch and the general members. As you say, people would be a little miffed, and that is not how Taxi works. Michael is very conscientious about these kinds of things, and looks out for all Taxi members and respects their membership "level" ( that isn't the right word, but I hope you know what I mean)

I have seen once or twice a dispatch listing come through and then have it show up again on the main listings later. But it usually says something like "this was previously run as dispatch #xxxxx. If you submitted for that, submit new tracks..." But the dispatch members always get first dibs.

This is also why Taxi allows non-dispatch members to get the emails. They are not trying to hide anything from members for the extra $150 a year. They want you to look at the listings and see if they work for you. Taxi truly is a company looking out for it's members and not trying to make as much money as they can. It's such a rare business practice these days (putting people before profit), that people have a hard time believing it. But it's true.

cheers
kc
kayle clements

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaAnderson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:04 am

Thanks Kayle :)

I do realise that Taxi is very upfront - and we really really appreciate the opportunities and education they are giving us :)

We are really just trying to decide whether to pay the extra for Dispatch, or not... :? (as we can write/record acoustic SS songs very fast)

And yes, I do understand what you mean by 'level' :) not sure what else you'd call it... maybe section ?

Amanda

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:34 am

Hi Amanda.

I would wait and see what you think when you start getting the dispatch listings. If you see one you want to submit for, you can join the dispatch service at any time and Taxi pro-rates the fee depending on your membership date. So there is nothing to loose.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaAnderson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:48 am

Ah, thank you Kayle

I'll do that then - wait and see what the Dispatch listings bring... and if we think it's suitable, or we see one we think is perfect, then join at that point :D

Thanks again