Feb 4th op deadline #U130204SS Ala Neil Young

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NathanNasby
Impressive
Impressive

Feb 4th op deadline #U130204SS Ala Neil Young

Post by NathanNasby » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:10 pm

Hey everyone. I've never tried this before, but I got an email about op #U130204SS 3 days ago and got an idea shortly after. Spent the last to days writing and recording this new piece "Field Of Dreams" specifically for this. Writing on a deadline like this is awesome haha. A bit of an adrenaline rush. Anyone who has some suggestions or feedback fairly quickly would be very welcome. The deadline is Feb 4th, so I would have very little time to make changes, but I'd do it if I can. It's quite rare and stripped down, but that seemed right for the op. I need to do some more mixing and level the vocals a bit, but what else do you guys hear, and do you think this song is appropriate for this op? Thanks team!

https://soundcloud.com/mrdjchameleon/field-of-dreams

"DOWN-to-MIDTEMPO SINGER/SONGWRITER SONGS with MALE or FEMALE VOCALS are URGENTLY needed by the PRODUCER of a FEATURE FILM. They're looking for stripped-down songs with a BITTERSWEET vibe and a bit of a Southern sound a la:

"Sugar Mountain" by Neil Young http://bit.ly/12agFnc

The song will be played during the END of the film as well as during the END CREDITS. Having been through an ordeal that has ended dramatically, the lead character is staring out the car window as the song plays. The character is reflective and wistful with a tinge of sadness. Songs should have a SOFT, SWEET and SINCERE vocal performance. Instruments must sound ORGANIC and AUTHENTIC. "
http://www.taxi.com/chameleon

You can't make music fun..... It is fun! You can however make it a drag.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feb 4th op deadline #U130204SS Ala Neil Young

Post by eeoo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:50 pm

Cool tune! It seems pretty dry, i'd like to hear a little ambiance, especially the acoustic guitar.

Good luck, hope you nail it!

eo

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nick.moxsom » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:52 am

Nathan,

Nice song. These listings are notoriously difficult to interpret sometimes, but I'm sure you're in the ball park. Reminds me of Joan Baez, actually – I think that's your vocal inflection.

Being honest, I found the mandolin irritating after a while – too much lead work. Chords under the verses would have been restful, and I would be able to concentrate on the words.

One more thing I, and everyone on this forum, would recommend is to cut your intro at least in half. When a screener or music supervisor has 300 songs to listen to, they're not gonna wait 26 secs to get to the verse. Personally, I'd make it just the last 4 bars – whatever it takes not to be put on the 'out' pile.

These are only my opinions, of course, and I'm sorry if they sound negative. I think the song's a good one. Best of luck with it if you decide to submit.

Nick

NathanNasby
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NathanNasby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:44 am

eeoo wrote:Cool tune! It seems pretty dry, i'd like to hear a little ambiance, especially the acoustic guitar.

Good luck, hope you nail it!

eo
Great thoughts and kind words. Thanks so much. Going to do some final tweaking today!

NathanNasby
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NathanNasby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:52 am

Hey Nick, Thanks so much for all the ideas. Being new to this these are all just things that I don't often think about and I really appreciate the feedback.
nick.moxsom wrote:Being honest, I found the mandolin irritating after a while – too much lead work. Chords under the verses would have been restful, and I would be able to concentrate on the words.
I agree here. The first few times I listened after recording the mando part I felt it was a bit busy and might be better with just highlights. I'll be revisiting that part for sure.
One more thing I, and everyone on this forum, would recommend is to cut your intro at least in half. When a screener or music supervisor has 300 songs to listen to, they're not gonna wait 26 secs to get to the verse. Personally, I'd make it just the last 4 bars – whatever it takes not to be put on the 'out' pile.
So true. It's such a dilemma creating a cut that I feel will answer the needs of the film and op and still getting the attention of the reviewer. I had thought of this, and went with my gut that a film might like a bit of a longer fading in guitar that led into vocals. Gives a bit of room to play with, but I totally agree with what you saying. I've never had a song licensed for something like this, do the op provider ever request something different if they select your material or is it just "thanks for this song" and moving on?

These are only my opinions, of course, and I'm sorry if they sound negative. I think the song's a good one. Best of luck with it if you decide to submit.
I am not bothered at all by your thoughts. I don't take it as negative at all. It's just good constructive criticism and that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together for me.

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nick.moxsom » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:02 am

Cool.

So, if Taxi forward your song, the next thing you'll hear will be from the music sup. S/he might ask you for a .wav file rather than the mp3 s/he got from Taxi. S/he will definitely want a mix without the vocals, so s/he can splice in and out around dialogue, so when you do your final mix, do another with vox muted, but don't touch the output level ! Then do one with vox only.

This contact (probably by phone) is where you might have the conversation about longer versions. The sup might want a longer intro, in which case, have one long and one short already bounced. If s/he wants to work with you, s/he'll thank you for being able to deliver quickly and efficiently, so have all the above mixes done and sitting on your hard drive, ready to go.

HTH

Nick

NathanNasby
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NathanNasby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Wow, thanks Nick! This is hugely helpful. I really have no clue how the process works and this will help me get everything put together so the interaction (should it happen) goes quickly and professionally. Really appreciate the advice here!

SaraL

Post by SaraL » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:08 pm

I think it's beautiful. I agree with Nick that the intro should be cut way down. I thought at first it might have been solely instrumental, and your voice is too nice to wait that long to hear it.

Sara

NathanNasby
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NathanNasby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:15 pm

SaraL wrote:I think it's beautiful. I agree with Nick that the intro should be cut way down. I thought at first it might have been solely instrumental, and your voice is too nice to wait that long to hear it.

Sara

Thanks so much Sara! I totally agree. Version 2.0 with the cut intro and reduced mando through the verse coming up. I had commitments today, but I'll try to get the revisions posted to see what you guys thing.

One other thing I'd like is a bit of feedback on the over all sound. I know eeoo mentioned the ambiance. I'm trying to make sure I interpret what that means. Do you guys think it's a bit too dry. More reverb perhaps? I can play with the room size and saturation a bit. How about the vocals? Should they be colored more. Reverb and ambiance are such a tough call for me. I know so many artists that lay it on thick, but in the end to me that often takes away from the sincerity and quality of the instruments and vocals. I think I will putting a bit more on the guitars and then color the master a bit. Any thoughts on the technical aspects of what you guys think would be awesome. Also keep in mind the ala Neil Young example. I didn't want this song to sound too over produced.

I sincerely appreciate your guys feedback. I've only been here a short while and it has been a huge help. Thanks

AmandaAnderson
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaAnderson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Beautiful :)

Amanda A.
Tony Anderson | Taxi | YouTube | FB | Twitter |