with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

musicalweather
Impressive
Impressive

Stormdrum 2?

Post by musicalweather » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have the original Stormdrum and am considering upgrading to Stormdrum 2 (actually the bundle of SD2 and the SD2 Pro Expansion), which is currently on sale for $75 (for owners of Stormdrum). Pretty decent price, I think.

I'm just wondering if any of you who own SD2 have any thoughts about it. I currently own Damage, which I haven't used that much yet, but am planning to write a bunch of stuff which probably will need the kinds of percussive, processed sounds in Damage. My ideal percussion library is one that gives me loops, but loops that can be edited. It seems that SD2 does indeed do this. How useable are the MIDI loops? Do you use them a lot?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

pboss
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Stormdrum 2?

Post by pboss » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:06 am

You may find midi data files that you can apply to those VI instruments, however. For 75 bucks, it seems like it's a good deal. Even though you do want tailored midi files for that specific sound set, you can find tons of percussion / drum loops in midi data that you might easily apply to any VI drum library with some playing around.

You do bring up a good point, though. Superior Drummer has midi data that can go with it, but you're looking for another type of sound, right? - the dramatic orchestral big drum sound.
Last edited by pboss on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patty Boss composes music for NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox, Bravo, MTV, VH1, etc.

http://soundcloud.com/pattyboss
http://pattyboss.com

musicalweather
Impressive
Impressive

Post by musicalweather » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks, Patty.

I was aware that SD2 contained no loops but does have midi files. I have a lot of the Superior Drummer packs (both SDX and EZX) as well as some Addictive Drums packs, so I've got plenty of midi drum patterns. But I find that they don't translate that well to epic percussion instruments. That's why I was hoping that the midi files that come with SD2 would be substantial and useful.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:41 am

I have both, and I barely use SD 2 (and I used to use SD 1 a lot in the olden days). The sounds in Damage are way better, the loops are easier to use and more easily customized due to drag and drop functionality, the interface is far better and so much more can be done to customize the sounds, and I prefer Kontakt by far over Play as a platform.
There are a few ethnic drum sounds in SD 2 that I don't have anywhere else, and on the rare occasion that I need those sounds I will fire it up. But for "epic drums", Damage positively crushes SD 2. If you have barely scratched the surface on Damage which seems to be the case, save your $$.
Last edited by matto on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:42 am

I have to agree with Matto. I was seriously let down by SD2. Not worth the money at all in my opion.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:54 pm

I don't think its (SD2) is bad. just using it today on a short film. with evolve and damage. they all kinda do different things. But yes in terms of being impressive, Damage is more impressive than SD2.

and yes SD2 does come with multitrack midi "performances" - 106 to be exact. They also have prearranged multi's that you can load into PLAY for each of these performances. but its a PITA just to even audition them (you have 106 audio mp3s for that in iTunes or wherever you prefer). then if you want to use that "performance" you have to load the multi, pull the MIDI into your DAW (its multi-timbral so it triggers 8 different or so channels in PLAY depending on the particular performance).

I was excited at first about these - but I think Matt has a point that the shorter loops in Damage are easier to work with to come up with something original - wherease the SD2 loops are longer and more involved, they are not building blocks - they are full performances. You would spend a bunch of time dissecting them to come up with building blocks and again rebuild into a new performance.

And hey, the Kontakt engine is less trouble.

my 2c.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:59 pm

I rarely use SD2 anymore but I have found the MIDI tracks to be of use in other applications. In particular I've found the snare drum patterns to be effective even when triggering different sample sets from different libraries. It takes a little bit of work to get those performances out of the MIDI tracks but in my case it's been worth the effort (when I remember they are there!) :mrgreen:

I have the audition mp3s in iTunes and when I want to audition one I just play it. Having the tempos in the titles helps to get somewhat close right off the bat.

I still like Damage better.
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:14 pm

mazz wrote:I In particular I've found the snare drum patterns to be effective even when triggering different sample sets from different libraries. It takes a little bit of work to get those performances out of the MIDI tracks but in my case it's been worth the effort (when I remember they are there!) :mrgreen:
nice idea. must have a look.

musicalweather
Impressive
Impressive

Post by musicalweather » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 pm

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I think I'm probably going to skip this one and get deeper into Damage.