OK I finally did it...dubstep

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: OK I finally did it...dubstep

Post by mikeymike2000 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:21 pm

coolhouse912 wrote: MikeyMike, I watched that TAXI TV episode on dubstep when it aired & the examples played that day tended to introduce the drop as a surprise. In fact, I believe the screener stated that the opening section could sound like any style of music. He also specifically stated that Skrillex has moved beyond pure dubstep & is no longer a good reference for it. So....more confusion. :? I've heard other TAXI folks' dub where the bass represents well in headphones as well as on speakers. Mine kill on speakers but don't really bump on phones. Do you have any suggestions?
Hi Mike,

I want to first say I think Mazz's point is like gold dust, not just to this thread but to all music everyone creates for listings. :geek:

So on the bass... the only time I am in headphones is when I work on an intimate piano. other than that I am always piped into the KRK's. The low knob is set to +3db and the high is set to 0db - Honestly I am not really sure what that means other than it sounds good and that is where I am coming from. So my only suggestion that may or may not be at all relevant is to bring up the EQ a little on the bass? - I just remember hearing other dub at these same settings where it is like a bass monster coming out and shaking me. I didn't get that with this track.

pboss
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by pboss » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:41 am

coolhouse912 wrote:...the bass represents well in headphones as well as on speakers. Mine kill on speakers but don't really bump on phones. Do you have any suggestions?
you can try working on the 500 Hz area for bass especially in headphones, as that is around the 'perceived' part of bass frequency, supposedly (other than feeling the room shake in response to the sub bass frequencies). Andy Gabrys posted some vid links last week which include this topic as well (in the technology section, I believe).

And yes, thank you Mazz for the points about form for Film / TV pieces, really great advice.
Patty Boss composes music for NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox, Bravo, MTV, VH1, etc.

http://soundcloud.com/pattyboss
http://pattyboss.com

heckxx
Impressive
Impressive

Post by heckxx » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:31 pm

Massive is the perfect synth to use for Dubstep, it is a bit unusual to understand how it works, but once you do, it's a very powerful synth. I suggest, if you have the time/money, to check out the Massive video tutorials on groove3.com.

And I suggest, for anyone, and pretty much any genre...if you want to get better at dubstep, just listen to more dubstep.

-Jeff

coolhouse912
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by coolhouse912 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:01 pm

mikeymike2000 wrote:[ Mazz's point is like gold dust, not just to this thread but to all music everyone creates for listings. :geek:
True dat Mike!
pboss wrote: you can try working on the 500 Hz area for bass especially in headphones, as that is around the 'perceived' part of bass frequency

Thanks Patty. I'll try that.
pboss wrote:Andy Gabrys posted some vid links last week which include this topic as well

Andy :) ...even when he isn't here he still helps me out.
heckxx wrote:Massive is the perfect synth to use for Dubstep, it is a bit unusual to understand how it works, but once you do, it's a very powerful synth. I suggest, if you have the time/money, to check out the Massive video tutorials on groove3.com.
Yeah Jeff it's the shit alright. I've been getting my training on Massive Synth .com. Just been using the free tutorials so far but intend to take the entire course. I'm convinced that synth will be around for quite awhile. He also has a site for Absynth & Reaktor as well.

Thanks all,
Mike 8-)
Michael Jones
ImageImage

coolhouse912
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by coolhouse912 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Wow! Thanks Charles! That's a lot of good resource material. I'll be checking it out for sure.

I did layer the kick almost exactly as you described but not the snare. I also applied New York compression. I agree that the snare needs to be layered as well but I think the primary flaw is that the track is just not loud enough. I got worried that it was too loud in the drop and would cause clipping so I dialed it way back. I'll be looking closely at that drum tutorial.

Thanks again & good luck on your next project.
Mike
Michael Jones
ImageImage

pboss
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by pboss » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks Charles.
Patty Boss composes music for NBC, CBS, CNN, Fox, Bravo, MTV, VH1, etc.

http://soundcloud.com/pattyboss
http://pattyboss.com