One piece of gear

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SteveJCurtis
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: One piece of gear

Post by SteveJCurtis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:07 pm

I'm quite new to DAW recording so I know I don't know too much, but I'd say Addictive Drums.
Life saver for me. And it was this forum that gave me the heads up on it. Thank you guys!
Best/Steve

ceedub
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ceedub » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:34 am

Addictive Drums. Easy to use, sounds great, not a resource hog.

Also, something from NI Komplete seems to show up on almost every track. But, of course, that's actually lots of products in one.

EricB
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by EricB » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:41 pm

I use my Line 6 Pod X3 Pro a lot. You can really spend a lifetime dialing in some great tones on that beast. But if you use it, send the signal through some tube amps to really liven it up.
What would you do if you knew you wouldn't fail?

www.purpletonemedia.com
www.soundcloud.com/purpletonemedia

~Eric

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:46 pm

I probably use at least one channel strip of Izotope Alloy 2 on every session. Very good sounding and the UI is very straightforward.

RonKujawa
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by RonKujawa » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Cytomic the Glue compression plugin gets used on most tracks, groups and 2-buss for me. Sounds great, easy to use and easy on CPU. I think it cost me $99.

Runner up would be Addictive Drums.

Just bought my Guage ECM-87 mic. We'll see in a few weeks, it might be on the list!

Ron

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:49 pm

kyleblaque wrote:One I've really been using on every mix since I purchased it and just does what is says on tin is SampleMagic AB plugin. It's not impressive and is not an effect, but it just allows the A/B process to work within a DAW in a very smooth and efficient way. In the pass, I would A/B a lot, but it became tiresome and took a bit of fiddling out of the workflow. I Also, tried to do something similar with Battery, but that would result in weird routing chains inside the mix session just to get the levels somewhere near helpful. I eventually just stopped doing that all together for a couple years. This plugin however, fits perfectly for something that just about everyone knows will help your mix. All you do is load your reference tracks, and you have a simple A/B process, all with the correct levels and metering specific to the plugin.

I place mine after any Master Bus effects, but before anything like ARC. When used with a Mid-Side encode/decoder(MSED), any decent Linear Phase Eq, and a Spectrum Analyzer(Span), you can compare your mix directly with each section of your reference track mix (Mid Front and Back - Side Front and Back). For the mixingly challenged like myself, it is really helping make my tracks sound better, at least to me. Possibly the most noticeable help I've had on that front in a few years, beyond books and videos.

Now that I think about it, it would be awesome if they included the Mid Side, Front Back functionality. That would really make it a one stop shop for comparing your mix accurately to other tracks very quickly.

Anyway, I really like it and thought people on the board my want to check it out.

Take it easy,
Chuck
+1 I got this too, and now use it with every mix. It's a simple tool, but I'm loving it, and it feels like I got more out of this than a huge plug-in bundle!!
Ceo of my own life

jaredlutes
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jaredlutes » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:44 pm

I force myself to keep it super simple. I try to use my Apogee ONE mic/interface for everything!
Jared Lutes, BA (Honours), MA
- Professional Musician & Amateur Daddy
www.jaredlutes.com

CHuckmott
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by CHuckmott » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:38 pm

Software? Did mention it already? Addictive Drums. Really liking the sound of orchestral instruments , both orchestra and individually so really lusting after a higher end string library right now. And a real mandolin.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:24 pm

I love my POD X3Live; it's a humdinger, especially when paired with a vanilla tube amp, and my Fernandes Strat is like an extension of my body, but if I had to name one thing, I'd say it's Addictive Drums; everything they make I either own or it's on the wishlist, and Addictive Keys is every bit as awesome.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

AlexanderFox
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AlexanderFox » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:51 pm

I second Jared - my Apogee One is the guy. Close second: my spiffy new ATH-M50x headphones!
Alexander Fox
Your Latin music guy

http://www.alexanderfoxmusic.com