You must own 100% of your master recording and composition?

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

aonua

You must own 100% of your master recording and composition?

Post by aonua » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi,

I notice that a lot of listings say that 'You must own or control 100% of your master recording and composition'. I would like some clarification on this and have searched the forums to no avail. So hopefully someone can help me with this by answering the following questions.

1) If a Taxi member owns the recording and has written the song or instrumental, but is signed to a publishing company, are they allowed to submit to these listings?

2) If a Taxi member co-writes a track with a non Taxi member on an agreed split, and they both own the recording, is the Taxi member allowed to submit that track to these listings?

3) If a Taxi member co-writes a track with another Taxi member on an agreed split, and they both own the recording, is the Taxi member allowed to submit that track to these listings?

If someone can answer these questions for me please and give me some clarification around the subject, then I would be most appreciative.

Thank you :)

AlexanderFox
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: You must own 100% of your master recording and compositi

Post by AlexanderFox » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:58 am

I'm pretty sure this is right, but someone else should feel free to correct me:

1) It depends on the agreement you have with the publishing co. for that track. If it's signed exclusively, then you may not submit it for a listing. If it is signed non-exclusively, you may submit it as long as the listing specifies it is a non-exclusive deal. That is, If the Taxi listing party wants to sign a track exclusively but you already have it signed with another publisher (regardless of whether that agreement is exclusive or non-exclusive) you may not submit it.

2) and 3) You may submit co-writes as long as you have "control" (i.e. permission from your co-writer to do so). It really doesn't matter whether or not the co-writer is a Taxi member.
Alexander Fox
Your Latin music guy

http://www.alexanderfoxmusic.com

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:59 am

That seems pretty solid to me Alex!

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Yep, Alex has it right....

Just wanted to jump in here and say: WELCOME TO THE TAXI FORUMS, AONUA! :D :D

It would be really cool 8-) if you stepped over to the "General Hangout" part of the Forums and introduced yourself. :D

Regards
Russell Landwehr
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

AmandaJane
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaJane » Sun May 24, 2015 11:51 am

Just realised that you guys are answering the question more than 18 months after it was posted !!! :roll:

Or are my eyes deceiving me :?:
Sláinte, Amanda

Amanda Jane West - Lyricist | SoundCloud | My Website |

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun May 24, 2015 12:16 pm

I'll take "Correct Answers For Two Hundred", Alex...

:D Casey

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Sun May 24, 2015 6:16 pm

AmandaJane wrote:Just realised that you guys are answering the question more than 18 months after it was posted !!! :roll:

Or are my eyes deceiving me :?:
Oh my! THAT's some SERIOUS Latency.... and it was their only post.... oh geez! :roll:

Hope this thread helps someone in the future....a bout 18 months from now :lol: :lol:
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Schmomposer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Schmomposer » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:22 am

Helps me too...I was just wondering the same thing,

stevetwosheds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by stevetwosheds » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:04 am

On that "latency" issue - accidentally answering posts from 18 months ago - I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out when posts were made, where the date of the original post is shown.

I'm probably missing something really obvious - I always am. I'm a dinosaur - Feel like a great gran tryna use an iphone. I'll figure it eventually.

In the meantime, I'm probably exposing myself for the idiot I may well be - but I;m just tryna join in a bit after being prompted to start logging into Taxi TV chat instead of just watching/listening anonymously, then figuring it was high time I made the effort on the forums too.

None of this comes natural to me - I'd rather just continue hiding in a cupboard!

I'm either silent for years or telling complete strangers my life story - find it very, very difficult to STOP once I start! But I do have a "mental illness" for want of a better expression, a harmless one except to me. Seems quite common in music, creative realms, so nothing to be ashamed of - This industry DOES drive you crazy if you've been at it a long time. It's by no means perfect but then neither am I.

"STOP!" - (Telling myself!)

Nice to speak to your all though

Steve

liquidfusion

Post by liquidfusion » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:38 pm

AlexanderFox wrote:I'm pretty sure this is right, but someone else should feel free to correct me:

1) It depends on the agreement you have with the publishing co. for that track. If it's signed exclusively, then you may not submit it for a listing. If it is signed non-exclusively, you may submit it as long as the listing specifies it is a non-exclusive deal. That is, If the Taxi listing party wants to sign a track exclusively but you already have it signed with another publisher (regardless of whether that agreement is exclusive or non-exclusive) you may not submit it.

2) and 3) You may submit co-writes as long as you have "control" (i.e. permission from your co-writer to do so). It really doesn't matter whether or not the co-writer is a Taxi member.
Definitely helps here. Latency delay included!! Thank you.